Most overrated player ever ...

Mac-Toon

Who would you say is the most overrated player you've seen?

For me, it's got to be Ibrahimovic. I've never seen him have a good game, EVER.

From April 2010;

Barcelona striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic very nearly covered less ground than his own goalkeeper in midweek against Internazionale according to damning post-match performance statistics.

Barça have Leo Messi running on empty after 24 consecutive starts and are beginning to question Ibrahimovic's contribution after the mileage figures reinforced the impression that he was a passenger in the Champions League semi-final first leg.

While players such as Xavi Hernandez, Pedro and Gerard Pique covered every blade of grass in the San Siro, Ibrahimovic was immobile and ineffective until being replaced midway through the second half having run only 300m further than Victor Valdes.

The money he's commanded in transfer fees must be up there with the highest, I'd have thought. Absolutely shite.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immediately thought of Ibrahimovic like ;) Justin Fashanu is one that springs to mind from years ago. Made a career out of one goal on MoTD.

cantona

couple of good seasons and fuck all else

I think you're being harsh there but I can't believe Man Utd fans voted him as their best ever player. Couldn't do it the CL.

cantona

I think you're being harsh there but I can't believe Man Utd fans voted him as their best ever player. Couldn't do it the CL.

or at international level.

but yeah, maybe slightly harsh, very influential for his one season at leeds then about 3 at manure. but other than that?

cantona

;)

While that's obviously grossly unfair I applaud Laz's sentiment all the same. :lol:

Could not fucking stand him as a player but he's developed a grudgingly amiable persona in his post-football life. :icon_lol: I have to really remind myself that he was a twat these days. I always manage it though.

bryan robson - sicknote.

butch 'the crab' wilkins - an england internationl should be able to pass the ball forward as well as sideways.

hugo viana - european young player of the year? couldn't even play defensive midfielder tbh

bryan robson - sicknote.

Couldn't stand him but I thought he was a fantastic player, both for Man Utd and England. He had the ability in the way Roy Keane did to turn the tide of a game when the chips were down and score important goals. Shame he was such a piss-head as he could've achieved even more.

bryan robson - sicknote.

Couldn't stand him but I thought he was a fantastic player, both for Man Utd and England. He had the ability in the way Roy Keane did to turn the tide of a game when the chips were down and score important goals. Shame he was such a piss-head as he could've achieved even more.

Aye. Last Man U captain to play in a genuinely average (not poor by any means but not great) side. The odd pots they picked up with Robson as captain were more of a personal achievement on his part than the endless list of league titles have been to more recent captains. Played well even when those around him didn't. Keane would end up sent off rather than stretchered off when that was happening by contrast.

Love that type of player-absolute gold dust.

Pissheed tho as you say.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
David Platt and Mark Hately for me - the money those two made out of football is obscene given their talent.

You can't argue with 27 goals from midfield for England 16 more than PB, and Gazza. Great career in Italy too.

Without ANY doubt THE most overrated player in footballing history is Francesco Totti.

Platty never used to do anything in a game but score goals. A bit like Kevin Nolan & Fat Frank.

Hateley at his peak was just a little bit before my time. I remember him at Rangers where he was a handful.

He wasnt regarded in Gazza's class though, yet had a far better career imo, you could never say he was shit. You need players like him and Lampard.

Nolan has great technique. I said that on NO about three years ago when he was struggling at Bolton, and got laughed at by the likes of Baggio. In the box there aren't many with better technique, and Andy Gray said just that on Sunday.

Can't remember who it was coined the phrase but I always remember Platt being lauded for his "unseen midfield work" ;)

I tell you who was a very poor mans Platt, and that's Ljungberg but his running off the ball made Arsenal goals.

Platty never used to do anything in a game but score goals. A bit like Kevin Nolan & Fat Frank.

Hateley at his peak was just a little bit before my time. I remember him at Rangers where he was a handful.

Tbf Platt grafted and was box-to-box in a way in which those two have never been. Not a great player like, but a good player who could finish and got into good positions.

Who would you say is the most overrated player you've seen?

For me, it's got to be Ibrahimovic. I've never seen him have a good game, EVER.

I agree that I can't recall ever seeing him play well but when you look at his goals to game ratio he must be doing something right.

bryan robson - sicknote.

good player but i used to hate all the captain marvel bullshit for england when he went home injured from every tournament and we played better without him.

bryan robson - sicknote.

butch 'the crab' wilkins - an england internationl should be able to pass the ball forward as well as sideways.

hugo viana - european young player of the year? couldn't even play defensive midfielder tbh

Nee way was he overrated. A true captain who deserved a title medal with the countries biggest club. Shame the rest of them around him were so shite, Peter Davenport, Giuliano Maiorana and Russell Beardsmore ffs.

bryan robson - sicknote.

good player but i used to hate all the captain marvel bullshit for england when he went home injured from every tournament and we played better without him.

Bad luck with injuries but, tbf, I think you could only say that happened in 1990 and who's to say we wouldn't have done better with him in the side? I seem to remember Bobby Robson saying we'd have won it with him in the team. 1986 was far more about Beardsley coming in for Hateley imo.

Edited by alex