Take a bow Kevin Nolan

kevin-nolan-800375130.jpg

In his first few months I found it hard to like him, mainly because of how the team was playing and because of the circumstances around which he was signed. I thought he was fat, past it and had nothing to offer us and in a way, that opinion didn't change until last season.

A few months into this season and I've come to realise that he is the best club captain we've had in my living memory, Shearer included. A complete credit to himself and the armband. From taking Carroll under his wing like he did, to keeping the group focused and reacting in the right way after the Hughton farce. He's been our most important signing of recent seasons because of his attitude and what his personality has brought to this team. I read comments on here about him being immobile at times, and whilst I agree, I wouldn't sacrifice his place in the team if it meant that his influence was lost.

Doesn't get even half of the praise that he deserves.

How far would you like him to bend over whilst bowing, and where, exactly, will you be standing when he does???

Best captain eh? Hmmmmmm :icon_lol:

Aye, that's what it says.

How far would you like him to bend over whilst bowing, and where, exactly, will you be standing when he does???

Best captain eh? Hmmmmmm :icon_lol:

Aye, that's what it says.

Alas, my friend, I wasn't disagreeing as such, I was merely implying that I would have to give the question some thought as to who would/could surpass him.

It's an honour to have him as club captain, I think. Obviously cares a great deal about the club and it's supporters. He seems to influence other players well.

Whether he's the best captain we've had in living memory, I don't really know.

Definitely won over alot of his early critics and myself.

As a captain he has been fantastic and although his legs are almost gone, on the grand scheme of things he still brings alot to the team.

Imo he doesn't bring a major amount to the pitch bar a few goals here and there which are sporadic. I think his influence mainly comes off the pitch, in the dressing room and in the media. He says the right things and is a credit to the club. Can't fault his desire and love for the club and his teammates but I think he can and may well be replaced on the pitch with a fully fit squad and a further attacking addition.

You can't really compare Nolan with Shearer like, Shearer did a lot more for the team on the field than KN will ever do. He was a giant amongst men, a true leader from the front. Our downfall was that we never made a concerted effort to replace him (probably due to the fact he was virtually irreplaceable).

Nolan is a good captain though.

As a captain he has been fantastic and although his legs are almost gone, on the grand scheme of things he still brings alot to the team.

Captain Fantastic

raised and regimented.

Hardly a hero.

Just someone his mother might know.

Bernie Taupin

Captain Fantastic

raised and regimented.

Hardly a hero.

Just someone his mother might know.

Bernie Taupin

Very Good.

You can't really compare Nolan with Shearer like, Shearer did a lot more for the team on the field than KN will ever do. He was a giant amongst men, a true leader from the front. Our downfall was that we never made a concerted effort to replace him (probably due to the fact he was virtually irreplaceable).

Nolan is a good captain though.

I don't think you can argue that Shearer was a better captain just because he was a better player. As legendary as he always will be, he's a stubborn git. Part of the reason Bellers left, wanted Barton gone, not to mention other rumours of scuffles with other players over trivial things.

It's worth asking whether without Nolan the team would have been up for the challenge last season, and whether we'd be in this league this season. Doing it off the field in the captains role is more important than doing it on. With Nolan we have 11 motivated players on the field. With Shearer sometimes it was as if he was the only one making an effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Does seeem to have a good effect on others when he plays (not all of the time), but I still worry about his mobility and on the ball ability particularly when Tiote is not available to play alongside him. At his best as a pleyer IMO when he's reacting instinctively in and around the box.

We had a canny captain 82-84 :)

I do agree Nolan has done well as Captain though.

I wasn't born then :icon_lol:

shame you weren't.

Good captain yes, but the best ? No way.

Might be 5th best :icon_lol:

I wasn't born then :(

shame you weren't.

he is the best club captain we've had in my living memory

Find the key words and work out my response for yourself :icon_lol:

shame you weren't.

oh I can work it out alright kiddah, confirmation of your age just makes your lack of appreciation of certain things more understandable

:(

he's obviously a good influence in the dressing room and his goals this season and last have been a god send but i still worry about his legs. we often need to play him off caroll up top with the protection of two behind him and that leaves us lacking in pace up front. i don't think he's got the engine to play centre mid in a 442 alongside any of our midfielders other than tiote. none of the others cover enough ground to allow nolan to be effective.

agree he's done a great job. i doubted he would carry last season's form into the top flight. shame he isn't quicker as he's a right old fox in the box with his finishing.

shame you weren't.

oh I can work it out alright kiddah, confirmation of your age just makes your lack of appreciation of certain things more understandable

Why's that like? Your experience of seeing terrible chairmen makes you over-appreciate an ambitious albeit reckless chairman. A bit like a chap I know who hadn't had a lass for a while and got one, got the boot for being too clingy.

Edited by AshleysSkidMark

shame you weren't.

Why's that like? Your experience of seeing terrible chairmen makes you over-appreciate an ambitious albeit reckless chairman. A bit like a chap I know who hadn't had a lass for a while and got one, got the boot for being too clingy.

first terrible chairman/owner in your living memory is the current one. I won't derail the thread though by pursuing this, Nolan is a good captain I'll give you that. When did you see your first game btw - just so some of us can do a comparision for ourselves of "your era" ?

Did you see Barry Venison ?

Edited by LeazesMag

In all honesty i never thought of Shearer as being the team's real captain/leader - an on-field communicator & motivator. For me Speed was the galvanizing figure in the dressing room, the one bloke who seemed to bridge the gap between the young upstarts [bellamy, Dyer etc] and the squad's elder statesmen/veterans. In the wake of Speed's departure there was an evident lack of leadership on the pitch, he could have well been an effective intermediary during the Bellamy/Souness saga if he'd still been around at the time.

He compares with Speed a bit, but with the scales firmly tipped toward GS.

Edited by Year Zero