The Reserves

Christmas Tree

Kuqi only gets about 30 seconds of running in treacle per match so I don't see how it's more beneficial having him in instead of some young kid.

Maybes i'm looking at this wrongly, but I would of thought that the young players you want to keep in the reserves, get them games and see how they develop before thrusting them into the limelight of a full squad which could very well hamper their development....

Saying that, I'm no authority on it so

Why not do both? I can see why Kuqi was signed (i.e. if we're really desperate) but what's the point in having him on the bench? As he isn't going to make an impact. Especially when you've already got Ranger on the bench, as has frequently been the case. It's not like there are loads of reserve games or they clash with 1st team games either.

Pardew said he want more than one type of attacking option on the bench. Kuqi offers a strong physical presence something we didn't have and you wont get from a teenager.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex
Kuqi only gets about 30 seconds of running in treacle per match so I don't see how it's more beneficial having him in instead of some young kid.

Maybes i'm looking at this wrongly, but I would of thought that the young players you want to keep in the reserves, get them games and see how they develop before thrusting them into the limelight of a full squad which could very well hamper their development....

Saying that, I'm no authority on it so

Why not do both? I can see why Kuqi was signed (i.e. if we're really desperate) but what's the point in having him on the bench? As he isn't going to make an impact. Especially when you've already got Ranger on the bench, as has frequently been the case. It's not like there are loads of reserve games or they clash with 1st team games either.

Pardew said he want more than one type of attacking option on the bench. Kuqi offers a strong physical presence something we didn't have and you wont get from a teenager.

Pardew's soundbites aren't worth the mistresses he spunks them on. And Kuqi offers absolutely nothing tbh.

Edited by alex

• 3 months later...
Newcastle United Reserves 5

Gateshead Reserves 0

By Dan King at Newcastle United Training Centre

Sylvain Marveaux scored his first goal in Newcastle colours and gained two assists as a Magpies Reserve side featuring two trialists romped to victory against Gateshead's second-string.

The summer signing from Rennes was on target in the training ground practice match, along with Haris Vuckic, Nile Ranger and a brace from defender Darnel Situ who, along with fellow Frenchman William Remy, is hoping to earn a deal at St. James' Park.

And the scoreline could have been even more emphatic but for two late penalty saves from visiting goalkeeper Tim Deasy, who denied both Mehdi Abeid and Yven Moyo what would have been their first United goals.

Gateshead's first-team are currently top of the Blue Square Bet Premier with two wins from their opening two games, and they started well with former Newcastle junior Chris Moore, a recent arrival from Darlington, forcing Ole Soderberg into a good save inside the first five minutes.

But once Situ headed home the first from Marveaux's expertly-taken right-wing corner, Peter Beardsley and Willie Donachie's side - which also featured Shane Ferguson on his return from injury - took control.

Deasy made the first of several fine saves when Abeid won the ball in midfield and played the ball to Sammy Ameobi, who returned the compliment to put the Frenchman in on goal but the keeper was able to push the ball behind.

Then Vuckic put the ball in the net from a delightful Marveaux pass yet was ruled offside but, after Ewan Moyes had headed wide from Moore's free-kick for Gateshead, the Slovenian did get on the scoresheet to make it 2-0. Ryan Donaldson set Ranger away and he unselfishly squared for Vuckic to slot home.

Vuckic tried to repay Ranger with a great cross which the striker glanced wide from six yards out, before Soderberg made comfortable saves from Jordan Marshall and midfielder Jonny Rowell.

But Newcastle made it 3-0 before half-time with Marveaux involved again. He bombed down the left at a rate of knots to receive the ball from Ranger before the drawing the goalkeeper and sliding the ball across goal for Ranger, who could not miss.

Ranger made way at half-time, along with Vuckic and the impressive Donaldson, with Yven Moyo, Greg McDermott and Brad Inman taking their places, and Inman's first action was to run at the Gateshead defence and cross for Sammy Ameobi to covert - only for the linesman's flag to thwart him.

But it didn't take long for goal number four to arrive, with returning full-back Ferguson the provider with a wonderful piece of skill and a dink which rebounded off the underside of the bar and was forced home by Situ.

And two minutes later, Marveaux - who only got better as the match went on - got the goal he deserved, sprinting through the middle and toe-poking past Deasy to make it five.

Inman hit the base of the post and then saw Deasy parry another shot to the feet of Marveaux, who somehow shot over, then the French winger was denied by a good save.

Then Marveaux surged into the box but was fouled by Rowell, with Abeid stepping up to take the spot-kick but seeing Deasy keep out his well-struck effort.

McDermott saw his audacious chip crash back off the bar after Marveaux had teed the young midfielder up, before Abeid's 25-yard strike was saved.

And Deasy made a second save from the spot after Moyo was fouled by Rob Briggs. Moyo took the penalty himself but again, the keeper dived to his left and got his hands to the ball.

Newcastle United Reserves: Ole Soderberg, Jeff Henderson (sub Patrick Nzuzi 60), Shane Ferguson, William Remy, Darnel Situ, Ryan Donaldson (sub Brad Inman 46), Mehdi Abeid, Haris Vuckic (sub Greg McDermott 46), Sylvain Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi (sub Joan Edmundsson 66), Nile Ranger (sub Yven Moyo 46).

By Dan King - Newcastle United Communications Officer

Peter Beardsley was left "very impressed" by Sylvain Marveaux's performance as he scored one and set up two in Newcastle's 5-0 practice match win over Gateshead.

Former Rennes midfielder Marveaux played the whole game at United's Benton-based Training Centre, while Shane Ferguson also completed 90 minutes after limping off in the first friendly of the summer against Darlington.

Haris Vuckic and Nile Ranger were also on target while trialist defenders William Remy and Darnel Situ both did well, but it was the Frenchman who had Reserve Team Coach Beardsley waxing lyrical after the match.

"That was Marveaux's first 90 minutes for the club and I thought he was outstanding," Beardsley told nufc.co.uk.

"A lot of the things he did were simple but effective and I was very, very impressed. He very rarely gave the ball away and that's the sign of a good player.

"Sometimes the hardest pass can be a five yard pass, because you want to be clever, but he was never trying to be clever and I really thought he was outstanding.

"I have to be honest, I hadn't seen loads of him when he was at Rennes but I was very impressed."

Marveaux was not involved as Newcastle drew against Arsenal on the opening day of the season as he continues to regain full match sharpness following the injury which ruled him out for most of last season.

But he became more and more influential against Gateshead, suggesting that he is getting ever-closer to his best.

"He got stronger as the game went on, which is good when you consider he hasn't played a full game since November," Beardsley said. "We asked him a couple of times, was he okay, did he want to come off, but he definitely wanted to play on.

"So I think that was a massive plus. We know what Fergie can do but for me Sylvain was a big bonus for the manager.

"And the good thing was the manager, Johnny Carver and Steve Stone were all there so they could see it with their own eyes."

deffo. I'm sure if Jonas had to face a gateshead 2nd team he wouldn't be able to step up to the level.

considering he's done a pretty good job of regularly beating 2-3 premier league midfielders/defenders (admittedly before often not playing a good final ball), he might have been able to do similar against these lions of english football.

there's enough superstars against championship level opposition who can't do it against better teams, so this extrapolation is particularly ridiculous. almost like there's an anti-jonas agenda here (team negative perhaps?!)

now, it may be the case that jonas ends up surplus to requirements, and that either/both fergie and marveaux end up more productive, but i think it'll be a while before jonas defecates himself due to fear.

edit:and what a bizarre posting structure, to post the 2 articles a minute apart, then wait 8minutes to provide in-depth analysis in a separate post

Edited by Neville Neville Neville

deffo. I'm sure if Jonas had to face a gateshead 2nd team he wouldn't be able to step up to the level.

considering he's done a pretty good job of regularly beating 2-3 premier league midfielders/defenders (admittedly before often not playing a good final ball), he might have been able to do similar against these lions of english football.

there's enough superstars against championship level opposition who can't do it against better teams, so this extrapolation is particularly ridiculous. almost like there's an anti-jonas agenda here (team negative perhaps?!)

now, it may be the case that jonas ends up surplus to requirements, and that either/both fergie and marveaux end up more productive, but i think it'll be a while before jonas defecates himself due to fear.

edit:and what a bizarre posting structure, to post the 2 articles a minute apart, then wait 8minutes to provide in-depth analysis in a separate post

:lol: Give a man a break. They were two articles from NUFC.CO.UK which I copied and posted. It has been suggested to me before, I think by oztoonfan, that it would be more helpful if I post a story but dont include my own comments in with the article. Being a canny chap, I try and follow his advice.

Apologies for the delay :icon_lol: but I think iirc I was helping the wife with the shopping from the car. :lol:

Fair enough. Not sure why you wouldn't post your opinions within the same post as the article but i prefer to do my posts above the quoted text, and was quickly admonished for bringing about the end of the world, so what do i know?

Still think you're spouting bollocks on the jonas front. Care to add a prediction on the number of goals/assists for marveaux/ferguson in HF's thread.

Fair enough. Not sure why you wouldn't post your opinions within the same post as the article but i prefer to do my posts above the quoted text, and was quickly admonished for bringing about the end of the world, so what do i know?

Still think you're spouting bollocks on the jonas front. Care to add a prediction on the number of goals/assists for marveaux/ferguson in HF's thread.

Not my strong point :lol:

My negative Jonas credentials are very clear. The guy does work his socks off and its a shame he just has very little end product.

More than anything Im just encouraged that this guy has had a good game, took set pieces well, created goals and scored them. Hopefully he gets the chance to do it for the big team.

Certainly a good sign that Marveaux lasted the full 90 and played very well. Hopefully he can play some part on the weekend and have a similar impact.

I really hope we play with only 1 up front and try to control the game through our strongest area - the midfield. With Marveaux and Obertan out there there should be a good attacking spark that will trouble the defense. Contrary to other I think Jonas could work well with either or both of those two. The problem could be if Marveaux has to play down the left in front of an inexeprienced or crap defender I'm not sure that he's the sort of player who will get stuck in. Remains to be seen. All the more reason why it's so bloody important that we sortr out the left back position as soon as possible.

apologies if posted elsewhere etc but where are the reserves games mostly played these days, and is the admission still free ?

I think all the home ones are at Darsley Park or Whitley Park now (former is training ground, obviously, the latter is the Northumberland FA HQ directly adjacent to that). I think if they're at Darsley Park they don't always let the public in. I assume other than that they're still free to ST holders. I haven't been to one in a while tbh.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh dear.

Newcastle Res 0 Everton Res 4

After losing their unbeaten league record for the season, with a 0-3 reverse at the hands of the mackems last week, Newcastle's second string again found themselves very much second best at Darsley Park on Tuesday.

Regular reserve watchers were excluded from the visit of Everton to United's training ground, but those unable to gain admittance can count themselves fortunate on this occasion to have saved themselves the bother....

With old boy Duncan Ferguson spotted among the visitors' coaching staff, Everton fashioned the first opportunity of the game on ten minutes when Apostolos Vellios was denied from close range by United 'keeper Rob Elliot.

His opposite number, Adam Davies then blocked an effort from Sam Adjei five minutes later at the expense of a corner, but Newcastle were unable to threaten his goal either from that set piece or a handful of others.

Everton took the lead on 24 minutes when Conor McAleny expertly chipped Elliot from the corner of the area, with United's cap-less goalkeeper seemingly hampered by the low winter sun shining from directly behind the scorer.

The Toffees then doubled the lead in the 35th minute when Greek striker Vellios touched home Adam Forshaw's free-kick from close range at the far post.

Our best chance of the first half came in the final seconds but Haris Vuckic could only manage to fire weakly at Davies when well placed.

Sacrificing midfield debutant Ben Sayer at half time, United coach Willie Donachie introduced forward Adam Campbell from the bench and a re-jigged Magpies side looked to get a foothold in the game, with Davide Santon getting forward from left back to shoot at the 'keeper.

That revival though proved to be short lived and with the visitors dictating play and Newcastle's defence struggling to contain the pace and movement of their forwards, further goals against looked more than likely.

The third duly arrived in the 71st minute, after Elliot blocked a McAleny shot only for the ball to fall to Vellios who poked it into the unguarded goal.

And six minutes later it was 0-4, when the ball was pulled back from the byline and Forshaw strolled forward to shoot past Elliot, who quickly denied Magaye Gueye from close range as the Toffees threatened to run riot.

The watching Alan Pardew and a clutch of lower league scouts won't have written much positive in their notebooks about the likes of Kadar or Vuckic, neither of whom enhanced their prospects of a recall or loan deal.

The only real positive to be taken for United was that Davide Santon got another game under his belt as he made a first start since the Carling Cup loss at Blackburn almost a month ago, having watched Italy's two recent U21 internationals from the substitutes bench.

This defeat - our worst on home soil in over five years - damaged our goal difference sufficiently for Manchester United to climb above us into top spot.

And they then moved three points clear after beating Bolton Wanderers 2-1 at Leyland on Thursday night. We remain second in the table on goal difference from the mackems, courtesy of their 1-5 howking by Liverpool.

Team: Elliot, Nicholson, Santon (Riley 74), Sayer (Campbell 46), Streete, Kadar, Richardson, Inman, Vuckic, Edmundsson, Adjei (Miele 61).

Subs n/u: Baird, Hooper.

Underlined sentence really saddens me. :cry:

Vukic is looking the most worrying. We get told everytime he's mentioned how he was scouted by Madrid and Milan and yet he's making no impact whatsoever.

I know we've been doing well so it's obviously going to be tough for him to break into the team and I know he's still young but if he was ever going to be real top class I think we would have seen more of him by now. That's not to say he can't still go on to be a decent player for us but I think the likelyhood of him being a real star is getting smaller and smaller.

we picked him up so early on though its easy to forget hes still only 19 and that centre/attacking mid slot is pretty strong for us (certainly compared to our depth in other areas)

Vukic is looking the most worrying. We get told everytime he's mentioned how he was scouted by Madrid and Milan and yet he's making no impact whatsoever.

I know we've been doing well so it's obviously going to be tough for him to break into the team and I know he's still young but if he was ever going to be real top class I think we would have seen more of him by now. That's not to say he can't still go on to be a decent player for us but I think the likelyhood of him being a real star is getting smaller and smaller.

I sort of agree but on the other hand I was under the impression that he usually does much better at reserve level. He has been getting call-ups to the bench and he's had injuries at really unfortunate times. Like said above, he's only 19 and one bad result/performance doesn't make him a false hope.

we picked him up so early on though its easy to forget hes still only 19 and that centre/attacking mid slot is pretty strong for us (certainly compared to our depth in other areas)

Both are true (as is the fact that he's missed a fair bit of time with injuries) but you tend to find that if a player is going to be a top class international (which is what the sugestions seem to have been when he's talked about as having been courted by Madrid, Milan and was is Chelsea that they said were interested also?) then he will already be starting to perform in the first team at this age.

Of course this isn't always true and even then it doesn't mean he won't make it as a decent player for us. It's just the hope that we had a future world class player is definitely looking unlikely.