Robbie Keane

Deano

Harry is refusing to loan him. He's on insane wages and I'm undecided if he's not match fit or just finished based on his recent Irish performances. I'm leaning towards the latter.

I think 80% of the time this question is asked of a player, it's the latter, but I think on his recent performances for Ireland, it's the former in his case.

I just think he's a very smart player who always gets into the positions to score goals, and given time on the pitch, will put them away. his game's not based enough on speed for me.

If he had a yard more pace, he'd have been a superb player. He'd work well with Carroll as he excels playing off a big striker(the great movement you mention).

Maybe he's just down the pecking order at Spurs after last years Christmas party crap.

Anyway, £6m is much too expensive for a 30 year old.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

The best thing you can say about Robbie Keane is he has the most gorgeous wag of any of them. She's jaw droppingly tremendous. Him though, he's got that arrogant Dublin way about him hasn't he, and he's about 50% the player he was about 4 or 5 years ago when he bordered on world class. I'd prefer a NUFC policy of signing players on the up or at their peak now. Don't want him, he's signing for West Ham anyway according to Henry Winter.

NEWCASTLE United’s second attempt to sign Robbie Keane this season is in doubt as Tottenham Hotspur

would like to sell the striker rather than loan him to a Premier League rival.

Keane turned down a move to St James’ Park just before deadline day in August but, as The Journal revealed last week, the Magpies are looking into the possibility of making a fresh bid for the Republic of Ireland international.

The 30-year-old has been cast aside by Spurs boss Harry Redknapp and, having initially decided to fight for his place rather than move to Tyneside in the summer, Keane is desperate to leave in the upcoming window.

United have some competition for his signature as West Ham, Birmingham City and his former club Wolverhampton Wanderers are also interested, although it remains to be seen whether they are willing to offer the sort of money Tottenham are looking for to sell him.

Newcastle are not keen on a permanent deal as the player’s wage demands are high and, at his age, there will be little sell-on value. A fee of around £3m would also put a massive dent in Alan Pardew’s limited mid-winter transfer budget.

However, the United boss knows he needs to try and bolster his goal threat to ease the pressure on Andy Carroll’s young shoulders and Keane is a proven top-flight goalscorer and he is available, two things that rarely go hand-in-hand in the January window.

United have refused to confirm or deny whether they are ready to make a second offer for the former Coventry City and Inter Milan star with a club source insisting yesterday it was just a “rumour” at this stage. But Pardew is definitely looking to sign another striker in January and, although Newcastle also made bids for Manchester City’s Craig Bellamy and Liverpool’s David Ngog, Keane would appear to be the only one of that trio who will be allowed to move clubs in the New Year.

Although Peter Løvenkrands, Nile Ranger and Leon Best offer cover for a first-choice pairing of Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll, none of that trio have proven themselves in the top flight.

If he had a yard more pace, he'd have been a superb player. He'd work well with Carroll as he excels playing off a big striker(the great movement you mention).

Maybe he's just down the pecking order at Spurs after last years Christmas party crap.

Anyway, £6m is much too expensive for a 30 year old.

aye, they can definitely fuck off at that price

according to this mornings press conference it sounds as though we are trying to get him.

Lee Ryder saying

With that in mind, Pardew was reluctant to raise expectations that the Republic of Ireland striker will be moving to St James’ Park, but he did confirm Newcastle are hoping to sign the 30-year-old.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
according to this mornings press conference it sounds as though we are trying to get him.

Lee Ryder saying

With that in mind, Pardew was reluctant to raise expectations that the Republic of Ireland striker will be moving to St James’ Park, but he did confirm Newcastle are hoping to sign the 30-year-old.

How old are yee? "When you go in thayah tell em we're gownah twy a soayyne Robbie Keane, then when e gows to Wist Aym we'ww put it aaht e wanted to styy in Landan". I wouldn't even give you 2/1 that this conversation actually happened.

Lee Ryder saying

One good thing about Pardew is that he can / is able to communicate with the press / fans.

He can talk openly about what he wants to do / or doesn't want to do. Hughton obviously didn't have their backing and therefore could never opionate ? himself which is why he ended up as a yes man.

Pardews already clearly knocked the Keane story straight on the head with the local journos.

World class communicator. :icon_lol:

Newcastle also made bids for Manchester City's Craig Bellamy and Liverpool's David Ngog, Keane would appear to be the only one of that trio who will be allowed to move clubs in the New Year.

Although Peter Løvenkrands, Nile Ranger and Leon Best offer cover for a first-choice pairing of Shola Ameobi and Andy Carroll, none of that trio have proven themselves in the top flight.

Ngog? :icon_lol:

Ranger and Best haven't really had a chance to prove themselves in the top flight, to be fair.

edit; and the journo has forgotten that Xisco exists. Can't blame him though.

Edited by Tecato

Just a smokescreen. He aint comin' here - too old and too expensive with no re-sale value. There will be someone else signed (a striker), I'm sure, but I don't know who. Jay Bothroyd??? A Potato??? David, it's over to you...

It would be just like us (Ashley) though to say we want to bring in talented youth and avoid expensive over the hill players.....then accept an over the hill expensive flop as the makeweight in selling the best young striker in the country.

I'm sure we can have faith in big Mike though.

Just a smokescreen. He aint comin' here - too old and too expensive with no re-sale value. There will be someone else signed (a striker), I'm sure, but I don't know who. Jay Bothroyd??? A Potato??? David, it's over to you...

Good at peeling off his marker apparently.

Decent chip on him too.

Decent chip on him too.

Rumours he roasted alongside Pardew

Surprising how many people turning noses up at keane given he'd walk into our starting 11

I think the cost of transfer/wages are peoples biggest gripe.

There's not many better players at working off a big man, which is something we hugely. As mentioned, injuries may have done damage to him too.

Another thing: if he does sign, watch how fucking infuriating he can be at times-2things in particular.

1 )a ball across the 18yard box coming to him : he dummies every time. Never works.

B)his refusal to jump for headers. Incredible. Even on goal-kicks he'll back in and look like he'll win it-he either mistimes his jump spectacularly or else spins around the defender at the last second hoping the defender misses it(something Jon Dahl used to do all the time).

Again-if he's not finished, he'd be a superb partner for the Darras Hall Drogba.