Barton VOWS to stay at Newcastle

Christmas Tree

AP

LONDON — Newcastle United midfielder Joey Barton has dismissed talk of a transfer window move away from the north-east side next month, saying he would happily see out his career at St James' Park.

The 28-year-old midfielder, out of contract at the end of next season, has been linked with a move to Premier League rivals Aston Villa and West Ham.

But Barton, who arrived at Newcastle in a 5.8 million pounds (8.9 million dollars) move from Manchester City in June 2007 told BBC Radio Five Live on Wednesday: "I was actually laughing about it this morning.

"People write what they write, it is silly season. I have always gone on record about the affinity I have got with the fans at this football club, and the football club and my fellow players.

"I have been on record as saying I want to stay here for the rest of my career.

"Nothing has happened and no-one has told me otherwise, and as far as I'm concerned, that's what's going to happen."

His remarks came hours after manager Alan Pardew insisted neither Barton nor striker Andy Carroll, reportedly a 20 million pounds January target for Tottenham Hotspur, were for sale.

"I don't want anyone to go," Pardew said. "I'm quite happy with the squad.

"Maybe I would like to add an additional couple of players to push the team and just strengthen us as a group.

"But the starting XI is a strong starting XI and it would be difficult to find somebody to go in there at this time.

"I don't want to upset the balance they have and the spirit they have, so I'm doing my utmost to make sure the players we do have here want to play for Newcastle."

Can we put this one to bed now :nah:

Thank fook

I know its ridiculous to pay any attention to the 'journalists' during silly season anyway - but it is always nice to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

(so long as that horse is not Jermaine 'lying' Beckford)

Still as nice as it is to hear the players pledge their alliance, and the manager saying pretty much what we want to hear regarding transfers - i'm gonna keep that little bit of weariness about myself and expect the unexpected!!

As much as I like Joey, £60k p/w is the key. I wonder if him and Collo will get the same/improved contract they would want. I'd love him to stay as his set-pieces, passing and drive are incredible and I don't think he'll lose much of his pace as he gets older.

As much as I like Joey, £60k p/w is the key. I wonder if him and Collo will get the same/improved contract they would want. I'd love him to stay as his set-pieces, passing and drive are incredible and I don't think he'll lose much of his pace as he gets older.

How much do you think a player of his ability should be paid?

"put it to bed"

was anyone debating barton wanting to stay? it's not down to him tbh.

Wish people would stop banging on about pardew and transfers.

he can say whatever the fuck he wants about wanting to keep players, and bring players in. we all know now no matter who is the manager it has fuck all to do with that the manager wants and all down to Fat Mike.

Barton coming out and saying he likes the club wants to stay etc is great, but if someone comes in with a reasonable bid, fat mike will see the millions inc and the 60k a week off the wage bill and he'll be told he's surplus and to do one.

QFT

How long is a piece of string? It's obscene that some players are getting more in a week than a doctor gets in a year, but that's how it is. You've got to pay the going rate if you want to compete.

"put it to bed"

Yes, in the "Newcastle set Barton Fee" thread.

An odd thing to say on a football internet forum two weeks before the January window.

he can say whatever the fuck he wants about wanting to keep players, and bring players in. we all know now no matter who is the manager it has fuck all to do with that the manager wants and all down to Fat Mike.

Thats a rediculous comment. One of the main reasons they brought Pardew in was because they didnt feel Hughton was experienced enough in the transfer market. If fowever it is all down to "fat mike", then he's doing a canny job with Ben Arfa and Tiote and long may he continue.

Barton coming out and saying he likes the club wants to stay etc is great, but if someone comes in with a reasonable bid, fat mike will see the millions inc and the 60k a week off the wage bill and he'll be told he's surplus and to do one.

Nothing backs that sort of statement up since relegation and tbf its dragged out every window since relegation. "Mikes going to have a fire sale and get rid of Jonas, Enrique etc etc".

How long is a piece of string? It's obscene that some players are getting more in a week than a doctor gets in a year, but that's how it is. You've got to pay the going rate if you want to compete.

Well said, doctor.

I want Barton to stay, I also want think that he owes the club something after the sensuous off/jail time/time missed due to injuries.

Edit: sensuous? Fuck. Sendings off that should read. iPhone/wine fail.

Edited by Barney

Well said, doctor.

I want Barton to stay, I also want think that he owes the club something after the sensuous off/jail time/time missed due to injuries.

Edit: sensuous? Fuck. Sendings off that should read. iPhone/wine fail.

:lol: Bit of man lurve in the house. :nah:

Honestly get your tongue out of the boards arse and give it a break for christmas , your whole shit stirring contrary tree bit has gotten tiresome long ago and now every bloody thread either here or on general chat is the same when it comes to your posts.

"Pardew in was because they didnt feel Hughton was experienced enough in the transfer market"

I'm sure they came to that conclusion on the history of brilliant transfers he's made (can't think of any myself mind, minus the dodgy argie ones at west ham (when he benched tevez and mascherano))

Canny job getting players? are you for real, the fact one of the players you listed isn't even a permanent signing sums it up.

"Mikes going to have a fire sale and get rid of Jonas, Enrique etc etc"."

bet if someone bid they would have, if they'd known enrique would come on as well as he has they would have.

Jonas has was and will always be shit for the money we'd expect for him and the wages he'd want, hence not being sold.

Dear me you do rattle on like a little girl at times. :nah: you could have just argued against the comments however they're pretty solid from me so I guess a little hissy fit was easier. :lol:

No point arguing against the comments your as deluded as ASM when it comes to your opinions on politics and the club, you literally don't have a baldy.

It's amazing how the stereotype seems to ring true, you could be battering a taxi driver round the face with a giant book with the title "actual real true facts" and they'd still prattle on starting every sentence with "and i'll tell you this"

but your right boards doing a grand job, clearly our transfer policy is insanely effective and it'll all be within the managers grasp if needs be.

i'm sure all that compensation that was paid out after the courts said they were all lying about pretty much everything was just a misunderstanding.

Big Mike....he could've been born on Dec 25th...our saviour

And your classic leazes. :D

1. When losing an argument, re-copy points I like and miss out the bits Ive been corrected on.

2. Deflect attention my throwing out insults.

3. Drag up lots of meaniless stuff that wasnt being discussed.

:rolleyes:

"put it to bed"

Yes, in the "Newcastle set Barton Fee" thread.

An odd thing to say on a football internet forum two weeks before the January window.

Thats a rediculous comment. One of the main reasons they brought Pardew in was because they didnt feel Hughton was experienced enough in the transfer market. If fowever it is all down to "fat mike", then he's doing a canny job with Ben Arfa and Tiote and long may he continue.

Nothing backs that sort of statement up since ged out every window since relegation. "Mikes going to have a fire sale and get rid of Jonas, Enrique etc etc".

You don't half spill out some utter shite at times.

Changing Premier league average salary...

93/94 £75,000 per year (£1,442 per week)

00/01 £409,000 (£7,865)

03/04 £676,000 (£13,000)

08/09 £1.1 million (£21,153)

Barton's been above average this season.

Is he less than a quarter as valuable as Tevez?

Is he three times as valuable as Carroll?