The football trivia thread

Mac-Toon

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Was watching the "Match of the Century" on youtube recently (Italy v West Germany 1970 semi final) and what I want to know is why are they playing with a white ball when it was the iconic world cup of:

telstar-1970.jpg

The Telstar ball.

Evidence here:

I don't know the answer to this by the way so sensible answers only because it's narking the fuck out of me.

Also, was there a flower bed running all way round the perimeter of the Azteca or are my eyes deceiving me?

Guest alex

No idea but I suppose the tournaments were amateurish in those days for there not to be enough spare balls if one got deflated or half-inched by the crowd or whatever. That game is one of the best adverts for keeping normal extra time as opposed to golden goal btw.

No idea but I suppose the tournaments were amateurish in those days for there not to be enough spare balls if one got deflated or half-inched by the crowd or whatever. That game is one of the best adverts for keeping normal extra time as opposed to golden goal btw.

:lol:

Aye but that ball was on from the start of the match and it was a World Cup semi! :razz: I'd love it if that was the answer like, just pure amateurism and they'd run out of adidas balls. Mind you they managed to find one for the final.

I was wondering whether it was cos they were two European teams and they'd possibly opted for a ball they normally played with in Europe? No idea ultimately mind. And as you imply, like shite would it be allowed these days whatever the reason.

Guest alex

Makes more sense like, i.e. a gentleman's agreement between the two sides to use a ball they were both more familiar with. Bound to be an explanation somewhere out there on the web.

Guest alex
Goalkeeper Jimmy Rimmer has 2 European Cup medals with two different English clubs having played only 6 minutes of European finals. Name the clubs tbf.

Is Villa one of them? I.e. was he the bloke Nigel Spink replaced?

Goalkeeper Jimmy Rimmer has 2 European Cup medals with two different English clubs having played only 6 minutes of European finals. Name the clubs tbf.

Correct. Apparently only Spink's second game or summat btw.

Makes more sense like, i.e. a gentleman's agreement between the two sides to use a ball they were both more familiar with. Bound to be an explanation somewhere out there on the web.

Was hoping Rob W might know given that he kicked the game off wearing a stove pipe hat.

Guest alex

Aye, he was really young (19 or something) and played a blinder. No idea who the other team is like.

Aye, he was really young (19 or something) and played a blinder. No idea who the other team is like.

Sub for Man U (1968 Final).

I can't get my head around there only being 12 years between those finals. 12 years ago from now is 1999, but 12 years between 1968 and 1980 looks more like it was 50 years.

Guest alex

Sub for Man U (1968 Final).

I can't get my head around there only being 12 years between those finals. 12 years ago from now is 1999, but 12 years between 1968 and 1980 looks more like it was 50 years.

Aye, I know what you mean. Another example would be 11 years between our '55 Cup Final win and the '66 World Cup. They're like totally different eras. In fact even more amazing is just 15 years between the former and the Mexico WC in '70.

Edited by alex

Is it Man U? He started there but no idea if he played a part in the '68 final or not.

EDIT: that'll teach me not to read to the bottom of the thread before replying.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Is it Man U? He started there but no idea if he played a part in the '68 final or not.

It was, aye. A gold star for your efforts, Kenneth!* :razz:

*(gold star immediately rescinded for ignoring my post, however) :lol:

• 3 months later...

One of my mates always says "I'm as knowledgable as you about football" to be fair he has his moments, but what a shocker this is text...."had this trivia question in the office been racking our brains for 3 hours and no ones got it, a former Scottish international who's surname ends in an i" I thought I bet if I put this up on TT someone would get it in 2 minutes. Even deadman would get this....

Right annoying fucka too the player.

Edited by McFaul

One of my mates always says "I'm as knowledgable as you about football" to be fair he has his moments, but what a shocker this is text...."had this trivia question in the office been racking our brains for 3 hours and no ones got it, a former Scottish international who's surname ends in an i" I thought I bet if I put this up on TT someone would get it in 2 minutes. Even deadman would get this....

Gambling addict who was indirectly responsible for the Mackems getting falsely promoted :wub:

Gambling addict who was indirectly responsible for the Mackems getting falsely promoted :wub:

Exactly right. Wish Keegan had've lamped him that neet at Stoke.

Ex mackem oxygen theif Sulley Muntari? :-D

I think he goes to The Gorbals for his hols but he's not technically Scottish. Worrying that we're linked with him today by the way.

Ex mackem oxygen theif Sulley Muntari? :-D

I think he goes to The Gorbals for his hols but he's not technically Scottish. Worrying that we're linked with him today by the way.

Yeah I saw that too...sounds like his agent is casting via the tabloids to see if anyone takes the bait....

Just one cornetto

Give it to me

His dad was in ice cream

His names _ _ _

_ _ _ _ _ _

I got locked out of the Swindon game, was fuckin gutted for weeks after...

Rod Fanni

what a name :wub:

Can you not remember that headline in the Daily Record man when Celtic were in for him about 3 years ago. "CELTIC IN FANNI HUNT" fuck knows how they got away with it.