The football trivia thread

Mac-Toon

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember it myself like but I remember hearing he was an Everton fan (supposedly) and started his career there as a youth.

Aye just checked - he did start there.

Clue for this other fella, he played for Sir Bobby at Portman Road between his stints at the Merseyside clubs.

I don't remember it myself like but I remember hearing he was an Everton fan (supposedly) and started his career there as a youth.

Clue for this other fella, he played for Sir Bobby at Portman Road between his stints at the Merseyside clubs.

Feels like this one should be more obvious. Havent got a scooby tho.

John Wark?

John Wark?

Nope - never played for Everton.

The only other time I was aware he'd played at all (apart from for England) was when he was a sports master at some school or other he'd taught at? Years since I read the biography like but genuinely dont remember mention of anything other than Toon and Linfield.

Right - who's going to have a go at the Milburn question?

Does this involve wartime appearances?

At risk of blasphemy, was it the Unwashed?

he's allegedly supposed to have supported them as a kid.....I think thats a myth mackems have put about to piss us off :jesuswept:

Aye... on both accounts :jesuswept: Played twice for Sunderland during 1944/45. Albert Stubbins did too a few years earlier and scored a wartime cup final goal for them!

Check out the bottom of this section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne-Wear_der...sing_the_Divide

For Wor Jackie's admission of favouring the Mackems as a kid, look here: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

he's allegedly supposed to have supported them as a kid.....I think thats a myth mackems have put about to piss us off :D

He did an interview in later life when stood on the Gallowgate terrace and said "up here you're either red or white, or black and white. I was fortunate enough to play for this team and well, you know, I wish I was just starting quite honestly."

Whilst I've always assumed he meant that he was black and white, he doesn't actually nail his colours to either mast in that statement. Does put the mackems colours first mind :jesuswept:

Curdled?

It's turned to piss mate. Rancid piss too.

Honours even man. They've got a statue of a Newcastle fan outside their ground and we've got one of a Sunderland fan.

Just take solace in the fact they got fuck all out of him professionally :jesuswept:

Aye... on both accounts :jesuswept: Played twice for Sunderland during 1944/45. Albert Stubbins did too a few years earlier and scored a wartime cup final goal for them!

Check out the bottom of this section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne-Wear_der...sing_the_Divide

For Wor Jackie's admission of favouring the Mackems as a kid, look here: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Thing is, there are pockets of mackems all over Northumberland...theres a pub in Seahouses thats a shrine to the filthy fuckers and Berwick is chocka with them. Someone once told me it was something to do with them being from County Durham and the influence that Durham Cathedral had all the way up to Scotland. Fuck knows if its true and how its supposed to work but this bloke (I think he was a Berwick mackem himself) reckoned that was why. Maybe the Milburns/Charltons were part of that clique because Bobby Charlton has said he watched them as a kid too, although he stops short of saying he supported them. It was in his last book.

Thing is, there are pockets of mackems all over Northumberland...theres a pub in Seahouses thats a shrine to the filthy fuckers and Berwick is chocka with them. Someone once told me it was something to do with them being from County Durham and the influence that Durham Cathedral had all the way up to Scotland. Fuck knows if its true and how its supposed to work but this bloke (I think he was a Berwick mackem himself) reckoned that was why. Maybe the Milburns/Charltons were part of that clique because Bobby Charlton has said he watched them as a kid too, although he stops short of saying he supported them. It was in his last book.

Charlton's a cunt and always has been in my opinion. Old skool Steve Bruce if you were. Geordie when it fucking suits him.