Your perfect day...

Toonraider

I had a birthday once that was just about perfect as it happens. I was in a place called Prince Rupert (in British Columbia, Canada) and was spending a couple of days there in between a catching ferry from Vancouver Island and a train to Jasper in the Rockies. We awoke to a foggy morning which was a bit of a worry as we were meant to go whale-watching. Anyway, by the time we got down to the harbour the fog was starting to clear so we set off on time. It turned into a beautiful, clear day and we saw loads of migrating humpback whales at pretty close quarters. Later we stumbled across this old-fashioned cheap and cheerful pizza and pasta place (just my cup of char) and stuffed our gills. That evening we sat up outside the hotel's bar and watched a gorgeous sunset over the bay. As I came back from the loo, my lass had ordered me a little birthday cake and all the people there started singing 'Happy Birthday'. Normally I would have hated that sort of thing but as I'd had such a nice day and was a bit tipsy it just seemed like a nice way to top things off. It was one of those rare days where you actually appreciate what a good time you're having there and then (rare if you're a cynic like me anyway). What was quite cool was that we thought Prince Rupert would be dull and we would just be stuck there twiddling our thumbs until we could move on but it turned out to be a lovley place to spend a couple of nights. I also later found out that it gets 200+ wet days a year but we barely saw a cloud the whole time we were there. Just lucky I suppose.

I had a birthday once that was just about perfect as it happens. I was in a place called Prince Rupert (in British Columbia, Canada) and was spending a couple of days there in between a catching ferry from Vancouver Island and a train to Jasper in the Rockies. We awoke to a foggy morning which was a bit of a worry as we were meant to go whale-watching. Anyway, by the time we got down to the harbour the fog was starting to clear so we set off on time. It turned into a beautiful, clear day and we saw loads of migrating humpback whales at pretty close quarters. Later we stumbled across this old-fashioned cheap and cheerful pizza and pasta place (just my cup of char) and stuffed our gills. That evening we sat up outside the hotel's bar and watched a gorgeous sunset over the bay. As I came back from the loo, my lass had ordered me a little birthday cake and all the people there started singing 'Happy Birthday'. Normally I would have hated that sort of thing but as I'd had such a nice day and was a bit tipsy it just seemed like a nice way to top things off. It was one of those rare days where you actually appreciate what a good time you're having there and then (rare if you're a cynic like me anyway). What was quite cool was that we thought Prince Rupert would be dull and we would just be stuck there twiddling our thumbs until we could move on but it turned out to be a lovley place to spend a couple of nights. I also later found out that it gets 200+ wet days a year but we barely saw a cloud the whole time we were there. Just lucky I suppose.

Magical! And what an unusual place name, Prince Rupert!

I was like you in a way but after being so poorly I seem to now be able to zone in to the actual moment and appreciate a good day whilst it actually happens!

Edited by Toonraider

Thread Killer :lol:

Thread Killer :lol:

You certainly are.

A sunny Bday in PR.....that is a rare one. Cloudiest place in Canada apparently, but beautiful as well the north coast of BC is a must see and the ferry from Port Hardy to Rupert is one of the best ways to see it.

As long as we're sharing perfect days, i'll put my two cents in. I had won a day of heli-skiing at Mike Weigle's and used it on my 27th birthday, at the time I only had my learners licence so my aussie roommate had to be my licenced accomplice for the day. We left at 3 am to drive the 3hrs north to Blue River BC, it had been snowing all night and was, to use a ski-bum term, 'puking' down snow the whole way there. Needless to say my excitement was at a fevered pitch by the time we arrived because there appeared to be well over 2 ft of snow on the side of the road (the official MW snow report said 93 cm to be exact). I got to the front desk and told them i was there for a day of skiing and they asked what sort of skier i was i replied 'expert' and the woman told me ther were no expert groups scheduled for the day and my face must have fell because she said that there was a private group from austria that had one available seat. after a quick phone call i was in on the austrian heli for the day. it could not have had a better day of skiing, i have never skied in that much snow before or after that day, when we got back to the resort at 8 pm my other roomies had planned a surprise party which was going full bore by the time we got there, and i proceeded to get drunk while answering the constant question from everyone "you went heliskiing on your birthday? have you everyhad a better day?......no, no i hadn't.

glad to hear you had 'perfeck' day TR....hope you have many more like it in the future.

Best days often happen by chance.

Best days often happen by chance.

Exactement mon ami. If I'd planned that it would've been crap.

A sunny Bday in PR.....that is a rare one. Cloudiest place in Canada apparently, but beautiful as well the north coast of BC is a must see and the ferry from Port Hardy to Rupert is one of the best ways to see it.

As long as we're sharing perfect days, i'll put my two cents in. I had won a day of heli-skiing at Mike Weigle's and used it on my 27th birthday, at the time I only had my learners licence so my aussie roommate had to be my licenced accomplice for the day. We left at 3 am to drive the 3hrs north to Blue River BC, it had been snowing all night and was, to use a ski-bum term, 'puking' down snow the whole way there. Needless to say my excitement was at a fevered pitch by the time we arrived because there appeared to be well over 2 ft of snow on the side of the road (the official MW snow report said 93 cm to be exact). I got to the front desk and told them i was there for a day of skiing and they asked what sort of skier i was i replied 'expert' and the woman told me ther were no expert groups scheduled for the day and my face must have fell because she said that there was a private group from austria that had one available seat. after a quick phone call i was in on the austrian heli for the day. it could not have had a better day of skiing, i have never skied in that much snow before or after that day, when we got back to the resort at 8 pm my other roomies had planned a surprise party which was going full bore by the time we got there, and i proceeded to get drunk while answering the constant question from everyone "you went heliskiing on your birthday? have you everyhad a better day?......no, no i hadn't.

glad to hear you had 'perfeck' day TR....hope you have many more like it in the future.

Excellent...you sound a right action man tooner!

The day Ashley leaves and is replaced by someone who has a clue.

Someone had to.

Think we'd need a miracle for that!

My perfect day would involve a long walk somewhere near water, a pub lunch and a spot of shopping thrown in too!

Sitting by a pool in the blazing heat, in a foreign country I have never been to and just arrived in and a cold beer next to me.

Simple pleasures.

My idea of hell :lol: Its a good thing we are all different!

Sitting by a pool in the blazing heat, in a foreign country I have never been to and just arrived in and a cold beer next to me.

Simple pleasures.

Sounds class, haven't been abroad for a good 4 years or so!

Simple pleasures.

It's only because your perfect ginger man would dissolve ;)

Simple pleasures.

It's only because your perfect ginger man would dissolve ;)

;)

OOH boy he would certainly make my day perfect :D

Excellent...you sound a right action man tooner!

:lol: . ;) ..i don't know about that, there's f%$# all else to do where i live though, so boredom is the mother of adventure for sure.

A perfect day from my past was when I was working in Wales.

Spent the day teaching the nicest kids in the world how to climb on Idwal Slabs in glorious sunshine, with excellent colleagues ( one of which was my then squeeze).

Got back to the bunkhouse, and the teachers leading the group announced they were taking the kids out, so we had the night off.

My gaffer chucked a bag full of climbing gear at me and took me and Jo, said lass, off to Dinas Cromlech. This is a crag made famous by my climbing hero, Don Whillans.

His best route , Cenotaph Corner, is on this crag and the gaffer led us up the valley side to the bottom of it. It's graded Extreme (E1), and having never done an Extreme , I expected the boss to lead the route, with me following.

He gave me the rope and said " Of you go, time to see what you're made of"

I was shitting it, but also buzzing as this was a route I'd always dreamed of doing.

The conditions were perfect- dry, warm rock, an empty route, no wind.

I did the route, here's a pic of it , which was mind blowing. It had a tricky start, eased up slightly in middle, but the last 20ft were the most difficult, with a slight overhang to get past

It was better than I'd imagined, I was climbing better than I'd ever done before, everything just flowed.

Got back down, the boss dropped me and Jo at the Pen Y Gwryd Inn, and then later Jo proved she was filthier than the Tyne in 1970.

That day pushed my confidence through the roof ( I was 19 at the time) and ultimately led to my working abroad and where I am today.

Spent the day teaching the nicest kids in the world how to climb on Idwal Slabs in glorious sunshine, with excellent colleagues ( one of which was my then squeeze).

Got back to the bunkhouse, and the teachers leading the group announced they were taking the kids out, so we had the night off.

My gaffer chucked a bag full of climbing gear at me and took me and Jo, said lass, off to Dinas Cromlech. This is a crag made famous by my climbing hero, Don Whillans.

His best route , Cenotaph Corner, is on this crag and the gaffer led us up the valley side to the bottom of it. It's graded Extreme (E1), and having never done an Extreme , I expected the boss to lead the route, with me following.

I was shitting it, but also buzzing as this was a route I'd always dreamed of doing.

I did the route, here's a pic of it , which was mind blowing. It had a tricky start, eased up slightly in middle, but the last 20ft were the most difficult, with a slight overhang to get past

It was better than I'd imagined, I was climbing better than I'd ever done before, everything just flowed.

Got back down, the boss dropped me and Jo at the Pen Y Gwryd Inn, and then later Jo proved she was filthier than the Tyne in 1970.

That day pushed my confidence through the roof ( I was 19 at the time) and ultimately led to my working abroad and where I am today.

:lol: ...yeah dude! sounds f$#%'in mint. gotta love it when you stop thinking and just react, pure movement. nice!

:lol: ...yeah dude! sounds f$#%'in mint. gotta love it when you stop thinking and just react, pure movement. nice!

;) Aye, the climbing was canny too!

Snap, 1996, my 14th birthday. I went to the metro and bought a Nirvana Smiley T shirt, Rancid's 'And out come the wolves', and then topped it off by seeing Independence Day at the cinema which I thought was a cinematic masterpiece at the time.

I can remember the day like it was yesterday :lol:

are you not a window cleaner :lol:?

One of my most perfect days was in fact with an ex. Spent the day in the heat on a little boat going slowly down the canal with a couple of drinks. Stopped off to start a BBQ by the side of the canal and had some great food, then sailed on somewhere to stop for the night. Was an absolutely perfect day for it, and the night wasn't too shabby either ... ahem ...