Bent backs Pardew

Christmas Tree

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/874...gpies_hot_seat/

SUNDERLAND striker Darren Bent has backed Alan Pardew to be a success at rivals Newcastle and believes he is the right man for the job despite being an unfavourable choice among the fans.

Pardew was appointed Magpies boss and given a five-anda- half-year deal after Chris Hughton was controversially sacked, but his arrival on Tyneside was not greeted well by the fans.

Although his first game at St James’ Park ended in a 3-1 win over Liverpool, the feeling is Pardew still has a lot of work to do to win the fans over.

Bent was at Charlton when Pardew was appointed to try and save the London club from relegation in 2006.

Although he was unable to do so, 26-year-old Bent has nothing but praise for his former boss.

“Charlton were struggling at the time – we’d won something like one game out of ten in all competitions – but he came in and was absolutely brilliant,” Bent said.

“He settled all the players and got us playing as a team.

Results picked up straight away.

“His man-management was superb. He made me captain, so I’ve got a lot to be grateful to him for, but it’s not just that.

“He got us relaxed, got us playing football. He told us to try and forget what was going on around the club and just concentrate on what we did best. I’m sure he’ll be doing the same at Newcastle.

“The first day he got to Charlton he called me to his office. He talked to me about my strengths as a player and said he’d spoken to all the managers in the Premier League and they’d said that they would love to have me in their teams.

“It was his way of building me up and he did it with others, too. He called everyone together, told them I’d be the new captain and said that we had to enjoy our work. He was full of ideas and innovation.

“He was always honest and good with the players. He’d said to me from the moment he got to Charlton that if a big club came in for me, he would not stand in my way, as long as I always gave 100 per cent.

He was as good as his word. I tried my heart out for him and he repaid me after Charlton were relegated by working hard to help me go to Spurs.”

Bent, who collected the player of the year award at the North East Football Writers’ Awards on Sunday, insists Pardew is strong enough to deal with the negativity surrounding his appointment and praises the former Charlton boss for taking the job.

“He’s a great fit for the Newcastle job,” Bent said. “He won’t be scared of it – a lot of people would be – but he’s got the character and personality to do really well in the North- East.

“It’s a great part of the world – coming to Sunderland has been brilliant for me and I’ve loved every minute of it – and the people aren’t just passionate about their football, they’re also welcoming.

“I saw him at the weekend and he’s still full of the same passion and ideas.

“It says a lot about him that only a couple of days after taking the job, he was out and about, mixing with fans and journalists, at an awards dinner.

“He’s not here for a holiday, he’s here to do a good job and make a difference. He’s here for the long term.”

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/874...gpies_hot_seat/

SUNDERLAND striker Darren Bent has backed Alan Pardew to be a success at rivals Newcastle and believes he is the right man for the job despite being an unfavourable choice among the fans.

Pardew was appointed Magpies boss and given a five-anda- half-year deal after Chris Hughton was controversially sacked, but his arrival on Tyneside was not greeted well by the fans.

Although his first game at St James’ Park ended in a 3-1 win over Liverpool, the feeling is Pardew still has a lot of work to do to win the fans over.

Bent was at Charlton when Pardew was appointed to try and save the London club from relegation in 2006.

Although he was unable to do so, 26-year-old Bent has nothing but praise for his former boss.

“Charlton were struggling at the time – we’d won something like one game out of ten in all competitions – but he came in and was absolutely brilliant,” Bent said.

“He settled all the players and got us playing as a team.

Results picked up straight away.

“His man-management was superb. He made me captain, so I’ve got a lot to be grateful to him for, but it’s not just that.

“He got us relaxed, got us playing football. He told us to try and forget what was going on around the club and just concentrate on what we did best. I’m sure he’ll be doing the same at Newcastle.

“The first day he got to Charlton he called me to his office. He talked to me about my strengths as a player and said he’d spoken to all the managers in the Premier League and they’d said that they would love to have me in their teams.

“It was his way of building me up and he did it with others, too. He called everyone together, told them I’d be the new captain and said that we had to enjoy our work. He was full of ideas and innovation.

“He was always honest and good with the players. He’d said to me from the moment he got to Charlton that if a big club came in for me, he would not stand in my way, as long as I always gave 100 per cent.

He was as good as his word. I tried my heart out for him and he repaid me after Charlton were relegated by working hard to help me go to Spurs.”

Bent, who collected the player of the year award at the North East Football Writers’ Awards on Sunday, insists Pardew is strong enough to deal with the negativity surrounding his appointment and praises the former Charlton boss for taking the job.

“He’s a great fit for the Newcastle job,” Bent said. “He won’t be scared of it – a lot of people would be – but he’s got the character and personality to do really well in the North- East.

“It’s a great part of the world – coming to Sunderland has been brilliant for me and I’ve loved every minute of it – and the people aren’t just passionate about their football, they’re also welcoming.

“I saw him at the weekend and he’s still full of the same passion and ideas.

“It says a lot about him that only a couple of days after taking the job, he was out and about, mixing with fans and journalists, at an awards dinner.

“He’s not here for a holiday, he’s here to do a good job and make a difference. He’s here for the long term.”

'Pardew bids £20 million + Shola for Bent' ... I can see it now. :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u...72703-27836898/

ALAN PARDEW admitted he was glad to have the Toon Army backing his side rather than working against him.

The Newcastle manager has experienced the loyal hardcore away support of the Geordie fans as an opposing boss before as West Ham and Charlton chief, but is now delighted that his players will be lifted by the 3,000 band of black-and-white followers at St Andrews on Saturday.

Pardew was at the helm as Hammers gaffer for famous Newcastle victories at Upton Park – 2005’s 4-2 win and a 2-0 success in 2006 – and on both occasions the Toon Army were in fantastic voice in the capital.

And he told the Chronicle today he was going all out to try to win the game for the United faithful at Birmingham.

He said: “I know that they will go down and try to make more noise than the majority of Birmingham fans.

“My message to them is whatever tactical changes we make for this away game, we will try to win.

“I just hope they can see that I’m a serious professional manager and working hard, that’s all I can do at the moment.

“I’m working as hard as I can and hopefully the results will come as well.”

Pardew is still excited at the challenge that lies ahead as manager of the Magpies, seven days after arriving in the managerial hot seat.

Since then he has watched his new team beat Europa League hopefuls Liverpool, and he hopes the Toon fans are celebrating once more on Saturday night.

He added: “I said when I arrived it is one of the biggest clubs in the country and a fantastic stage.

“The supporters here have a real passion. And there is so much excitement behind the whole thing.

“People talk about exciting Newcastle teams of the past and it is generated from the fans to urge you on. It is very much part of the season for us.”

United will be up against old boys Stephen Carr and Lee Bowyer and Pardew is under no illusions about the size of the task against the gritty Blues.

He said: “The lads are in good spirits and we are looking forward to Birmingham.

“It is never easy going to St Andrews. They are a resilient side and they’re strong, it is always a competitive game on the physical side so we need to make sure we’re strong enough. And then hopefully our quality comes through.”

Meanwhile, Pardew revealed there was nothing imminent as far as backroom appointments were concerned.

He told me: “If I’m honest I could have 20 coaches here tomorrow if need be.

“But I have to get somebody who fits the right criteria here to what I’m trying to do here.

“I’ve moved Steve Stone up because what I found with him is he has the loyalty of the players.

“The extra coach who comes in means we’ll have one coach for every 10 players here.

“That is the sort of figure you should have at a top club.”

:lol: Wonder what he means by that little snippet

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u...72703-27836898/

Meanwhile, Pardew revealed there was nothing imminent as far as backroom appointments were concerned.

He told me: “If I’m honest I could have 20 coaches here tomorrow if need be.

“But I have to get somebody who fits the right criteria here to what I’m trying to do here.

I.e. the wage demands must be next to nothing, so it probably will be someone serving community service.

Edited by Isegrim

unlike some i don't hate him at all. he's been out of management and obviously he is going to jump at any chance offered to him.

saying that I don't know how big of an influence he made on the liverpool game since before the match he announced he was going to play hughtons team.. covering himself incase of huge loss to them IMO....

undecided for a good few games so far like.

Jose Enrique on Twitter:

Everyone really happy with the new manager. we training hard now and we practice a lot tacticli. Very good

Much more pleasing to read than Bent rambling on or whatever Pardew said.

I really hope Jose is still getting English language lessons, with that said.

Jose Enrique on Twitter:

Everyone really happy with the new manager. we training hard now and we practice a lot tacticli. Very good

Much more pleasing to read than Bent rambling on or whatever Pardew said.

I really hope Jose is still getting English language lessons, with that said.

I hope he's not getting them from Danny Simpson and Wayne Routledge....

Getting bored hearing the ‘Pardew is confident he can squeeze some cash out of Ashley by banging assertively on the chairman’s door' line – he’ll already have been told how much he can spend in January. This media bum licking is clearly a pathetic attempt to make it look like he’s not Ashley’s puppet when he gets £5m to spend on a couple of squad fillers.

Edited by Problem Child

Warmed to Pardew over the first week. Think he's handled the media well, said nowt daft and what he has said makes sense.

Feels like we've got a real manager rather than a caretaker.

Played it perfectly so far but he's been here for one solitary match. Too early to judge him too much, not saying you are by the way. Plenty of time to mess it up and he'll get a lot of stick if we mess up against Birmingham whether he deserves it or not.

Fuck Bent, I am warming to the bloke. He seems to be doing the right things at the right time. ie, Tiote on long term contract, Saylor to sign a new contract, keep Carroll and Barton. Guy seems to have his head screwed on. And as for the rumours of Adam? Yes please. Put him out on the left, with Barton on the right. :-)