Sports Direct

Christmas Tree

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some random quotes from a recent article about SD.

“The poor meeting aggravated an already tense relationship between the City and Ashley, who has been accused of an almost total lack of communication with shareholders and analysts”

"What has happened since the offer makes your toes curl. It is almost taking the piss out of the market,"

“Ashley is like a locust. He selects a brand, absolutely rapes it and moves on"

If the first two sound familiar, the last one should ring alarm bells.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/migrati...-toes-curl.html

"The poor meeting aggravated an already tense relationship between the City and Ashley, who has been accused of an almost total lack of communication with shareholders and analysts"

"What has happened since the offer makes your toes curl. It is almost taking the piss out of the market,"

"Ashley is like a locust. He selects a brand, absolutely rapes it and moves on"

Well that explains the Pardew appointment...

They should consider spending some of those profits on their marketing budget.

Sports Direct TV adverts are cringe-worthy and that has nothing to do with my allegiance to NUFC. They're low budget, cheap and nasty but I guess that's just Ashley's way of doing things.

I love comments like these.... Did you see the results.

He's made the city a fortune, shareholders a fortune and even his staff a very handsome profit share. :lol:

Sports Direct TV adverts are cringe-worthy and that has nothing to do with my allegiance to NUFC. They're low budget, cheap and nasty but I guess that's just Ashley's way of doing things.

He's made the city a fortune, shareholders a fortune and even his staff a very handsome profit share. :lol:

What's that got to do with the awful ads they put out?

And I don't think he alone has managed all that. If he has then I apologise and can only assume he's been doing similarly for NUFC and we're just misinterpreting what's going on.

The investors who bought SD shares at 300p when it was floated might disagree.

What's that got to do with the awful ads they put out?

And I don't think he alone has managed all that. If he has then I apologise and can only assume he's been doing similarly for NUFC and we're just misinterpreting what's going on.

They're working :lol:

The investors who bought SD shares at 300p when it was floated might disagree.

Granted, but still from todays Financial Times.....

Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights or use this link to reference the article - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/857179ac-094d-11...l#ixzz18Jr2qPS6

Last week, the Daily Star named Mike Ashley “Plonker of the Week” for refusing to explain why he’d sacked the Newcastle United manager and for treating the fans “with complete and utter contempt”.

Sports Direct shareholders must have felt a twinge of nostalgia. Time was Mr Ashley seemed to hold them in equal disdain. Having floated at 300p in 2007, the retailer lost its chairman within three months and plunged into a credibility crisis. Trading slumped, the shares dropped, debt rose – and the tubbily taciturn founder dabbled in the stock of sportswear and sports retail companies.

But – Newcastle fans, look away now – Mr Ashley is not a plonker any more. Profit before tax for the half-year beat analysts’ forecasts. The drop in debt and the rise in the share price, from a trough of 30p in December 2008 to 150p now, have partly vindicated Mr Ashley’s 2007 call to investors to “hang in”. Staff have also heeded that message, encouraged by a bonus scheme that pays out up to a year’s salary in shares if targets are met. The goals for the Olympic year of 2012-13 imply earnings per share of 25p, according to Oriel Securities, double the adjusted figure for 2009-10. With rival JJB Sports struggling, the shares, on a multiple of 8 times this year’s forecast earnings, look as attractively priced as a Lonsdale hoodie.

Blaze of glory, fucks up, rebuilds........Hmmmmmmm :lol:

“The poor meeting aggravated an already tense relationship between the City and Ashley, who has been accused of an almost total lack of communication with shareholders and analysts”

“Ashley is like the holocaust. He selects a brand, absolutely rapes it and moves on"

Minor modification applied.

Stock market index has dropped from 6,700 to 5,500 over the period from floatation. Just for context.

150p is therefore poor compared to 300p set against the FTSE. Depends on the dividend of course, P/E ratios are quite low in Retail so its probably not bad tbh.

"partly" vindicated at best.

I didnt even need a bike but I went to JJB and bought 3 just to boycott Sports Dire

who goes to Sports Direct to buy anything then ?

I bought two toon tops their this week for xmas gifts. £25 each.

He buys failing companies cheap so he can stick their logo on his cheap tat. While this acquisition policy is ingenious, its irrelevant to nufc.

Edited by Phil

Undercutting the club shop by £20 on Newcastle shirts.

It reads as an undercutting massacre for JJB and smaller retailers as well, and they simply can't compete on pricing as they don't have exclusive rights to 'owned brands' being pilfered out of sweat shops [producing a massive profit margin for SD] as a means of offsetting the damage done to the balance sheets.

He's been raping club shops [partially depriving them of a revenue stream] across the board, and his immediate competition for nigh on a decade now. West Ham's top brass have been vocal on this front.

Umbro, Whelan & Co committed the crime of cartel activity/collusion and were nailed by the FTO, thanks to being stitched by a rogue competitor - in Umbro's case a rogue customer who was devaluing it's product. But at least they [by colluding] were trying to re-establish a sense of parity in the market, something of a level playing field for all parties involved.

He buys failing companies cheap so he can stick their logo on his cheap tat. While this acquisition policy is ingenious, its irrelevant to nufc.

........ and he's no stranger to intentionally & systematically facilitating a company's demise either, by acting as an agent saboteur via his influence in the boardroom/strength of shareholding ie. blocking financial lifelines/rescue packages.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets...acks-board.html

They've held out bravely for some time now, but it would appear as if Black's days are numbered.

Undercutting the club shop by £20 on Newcastle shirts.

It reads as an undercutting massacre for JJB and smaller retailers as well, and they simply can't compete on pricing as they don't have exclusive rights to 'owned brands' being pilfered out of sweat shops [producing a massive profit margin for SD] as a means of offsetting the damage done to the balance sheets.

He's been raping club shops [partially depriving them of a revenue stream] across the board, and his immediate competition for nigh on a decade now. West Ham's top brass have been vocal on this front.

Umbro, Whelan & Co committed the crime of cartel activity/collusion and were nailed by the FTO, thanks to being stitched by a rogue competitor - in Umbro's case a rogue customer who was devaluing it's product. But at least they [by colluding] were trying to re-establish a sense of parity in the market, something of a level playing field for all parties involved.

The same clubs shops that raped us for £40 for a £5 bit of tat under Shepherd. Wasnt that what they said :lol:

........ and he's no stranger to intentionally & systematically facilitating a company's demise either, by acting as an agent saboteur via his influence in the boardroom/strength of shareholding ie. blocking financial lifelines/rescue packages.

They've held out bravely for some time now, but it would appear as if Black's days are numbered.

Modern day Gordon Gheko......Greed is good.

A headline to convert Leazes... :lol:

Edited by Phil

Sports Direct is to retail as Special Brew is to beer.

Dont they sell it in the Trent?

Some may not know that Carlsberg Special Brew was originally brewed in 1950 to commemorate Winston Churchills visit to Copenhagen where he was seen as a hero by the Danes.

It even has its own dedicated fan website http://www.arrysbrewsite.co.uk/