Sports Direct

Christmas Tree

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Undercutting the club shop by £20 on Newcastle shirts.

It reads as an undercutting massacre for JJB and smaller retailers as well, and they simply can't compete on pricing as they don't have exclusive rights to 'owned brands' being pilfered out of sweat shops [producing a massive profit margin for SD] as a means of offsetting the damage done to the balance sheets.

He's been raping club shops [partially depriving them of a revenue stream] across the board, and his immediate competition for nigh on a decade now. West Ham's top brass have been vocal on this front.

Umbro, Whelan & Co committed the crime of cartel activity/collusion and were nailed by the FTO, thanks to being stitched by a rogue competitor - in Umbro's case a rogue customer who was devaluing it's product. But at least they [by colluding] were trying to re-establish a sense of parity in the market, something of a level playing field for all parties involved.

The same clubs shops that raped us for £40 for a £5 bit of tat under Shepherd. Wasnt that what they said :lol:

Likewise Mr Ashley is bumfucking you when ordering any of his exclusive brands, where there is no middlemen/intermediatories involved in Ashley's supply line ie. he is acquiring units straight from the sweatshops. The only losers in his pricing/marketing ploy are the clubs. I've always said that Ashley is only interested in taking from football, he is a passenger.

Shepherd was only busted saying what is probably on of the minds of just about every club chairman, behind closed doors. They're only maximising a lucrative revenue stream, taking advantage of a consumer trend ie. that compulsion, or the must-have factor when it comes to updated kits.

I'd rather have the revenues in the chests of the clubs' coffers [and being appropriated to the clubs' respective budgets], as opposed to them being butchered by cheap & tacky street merchant who only sees the round ball code [club ownership] as an advertising whore, or a marketing extension of his retail chain.

Edited by Year Zero

He buys failing companies cheap so he can stick their logo on his cheap tat. While this acquisition policy is ingenious, its irrelevant to nufc.

He buys fading football club so he can stick his logo on their stand. While this acquisition policy is sickening, its massively harmful to nufc.

He buys failing companies cheap so he can stick their logo on his cheap tat. While this acquisition policy is ingenious, its irrelevant to nufc.

He buys fading football club so he can stick his logo on their stand. While this acquisition policy is sickening, its massively harmful to nufc.

You've cracked his master plan. Pay 300 million to advertise Sports Direct. :jesuswept:

Some random quotes from a recent article about SD.

“The poor meeting aggravated an already tense relationship between the City and Ashley, who has been accused of an almost total lack of communication with shareholders and analysts”

"What has happened since the offer makes your toes curl. It is almost taking the piss out of the market,"

“Ashley is like a locust. He selects a brand, absolutely rapes it and moves on"

If the first two sound familiar, the last one should ring alarm bells.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/migrati...-toes-curl.html

........ and he's no stranger to intentionally & systematically facilitating a company's demise either, by acting as an agent saboteur via his influence in the boardroom/strength of shareholding ie. blocking financial lifelines/rescue packages.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets...acks-board.html

They've held out bravely for some time now, but it would appear as if Black's days are numbered.

The new chairman of the FA is also the chairman of Blacks' BoD. Good to see that Ashley now has a friendly face inside the FA. :D

Some random quotes from a recent article about SD.

“The poor meeting aggravated an already tense relationship between the City and Ashley, who has been accused of an almost total lack of communication with shareholders and analysts”

"What has happened since the offer makes your toes curl. It is almost taking the piss out of the market,"

“Ashley is like a locust. He selects a brand, absolutely rapes it and moves on"

If the first two sound familiar, the last one should ring alarm bells.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/migrati...-toes-curl.html

........ and he's no stranger to intentionally & systematically facilitating a company's demise either, by acting as an agent saboteur via his influence in the boardroom/strength of shareholding ie. blocking financial lifelines/rescue packages.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/markets...acks-board.html

They've held out bravely for some time now, but it would appear as if Black's days are numbered.

The new chairman of the FA is also the chairman of Blacks' BoD. Good to see that Ashley now has a friendly face inside the FA. ;)

A feeling of ill-toward dating back to the article i posted. Ashley has strain of consistency, when it comes to burning bridges as far pushing 2nd parties into a corner, to save a few quid. Our transfer policy, or our dealings with potential selling clubs has followed suit. There's a sly way in which the club goes about it's business these days, and our previous reputation for being a professionally behaved wheeler & dealer has become muddied, but that's another discussion. I

I'm sure the FA will offer some type of token support next time the club officially whinges about refereeing standards etc. sarcastic pun intended. Discounting the whole Southern & influenced power base of the FA for one moment, and this belies Bernstein's demeanour of that of a very diplomatic operator, but it will be tougher to find someone [in a position of power within the FA] who has more reason to roll down the 'fuck-off' shutter when dealing with the Toon.

Edited by Year Zero

I have never set foot in one of Direct Sport shops and I have no intention of doing so. I guess I am fortunate that I have a choice of where I buy my sports stuff ( :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: ME! at a fuckin' gym or sports club :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:) but the way that shyster has 'decorated' our stadium with his garish logos for his tawdry shop is a disgrace. Look at the top of this page and you willl see a photo from the corner of Level 7. I saw a pic the other day from a similar viewpoint and the Gallowgate roof is now emblazoned with his garish logo. It almost made me vomit, such was the vile sight I witnessed. I believe he has permission to festoon the outside of St. James' Park with his tacky adverts also. An absolute abomination of a crime on the fabric of this great city iyam. Hey, why don't we paint Grainger town in the colours of Microsoft whilst we're at it. It's akin to covering the Tyne bridge with McDonalds advertising - part of the tapestry of our fine city being prostituted for some grubby-fingered twat.

I guess some folk will see this as a minor crime and not worth getting fussed over, but for every ying there's a yang and I'm spectacularly yang on this subject; it makes my fuckin' blood boil.

Rant over. For now.

I notice Birmingham have joined Wolves in the bottom three - nice to see our targets/models as named by the cunts and their yes man living up to expectations.

:icon_lol: Villa were another one, weren't they? Mind, Barcelona are doing ok :(

I notice Birmingham have joined Wolves in the bottom three - nice to see our targets/models as named by the cunts and their yes man living up to expectations.

:icon_lol: Villa were another one, weren't they? Mind, Barcelona are doing ok :(

Villa and Arsenal were named before relegation when some people still had the idea we were a half decent club under him, Wolves and Birmingham were the "post-promotion" models.

On a related note I see Allardyce will return "for a club that matches his ambitions" which I suppose now only means Barca or RM.

• 3 months later...

Sports Direct shrugs off high street gloom

Sports Direct reported a 12.4 per cent increase in sales in its retail division to £200m in the nine weeks to March 27, as the UK’s biggest sporting goods retailer by market share continues to defy the gloom on the High Street.

In a trading statement, the group said retail gross profit increased 8.8 per cent to £74m. Retail selling space in the UK was slightly higher than the previous year, at 3.8m sq ft. Group total sales for the nine weeks were up 10.3 per cent to £236m and gross profit was up 7.3 per cent to £88m.

David Forsey, chief executive, said on Thursday that the company would extend its bonus share scheme, incorporating still more aggressive targets – a strategy that is thinks has helped push Sports Direct to becoming the number one spot in the sports retail market.

The retailer, founded by Mike Ashley, owner of Newcastle United football club, affirmed its February guidance that it is on track to generate earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation of at least £205m for the full year.

If successful, this would trigger a bonus share scheme for 2,500 Sports Direct staff, who stand to receive the equivalent of 75 per cent of their base salaries converted into shares priced at 125p. The shares are trading 60 per cent above this level, standing at 199.1p in early London trading on Thursday.

The retailer believes the scheme has helped staff motivation and retention. The incentive programme vests in 2013, but staff must still be working at the company to benefit.

“The board believes that the bonus share scheme that covered FY10 and FY11 has been a significant contributor to our success. It is our intention to extend the scheme for FY12, FY13 and beyond incorporating more aggressive targets, the full details of which will be announced at our preliminary results in July,” Mr Forsey said.

Obviously can only be good news that he's getting wealthier.

But on a separate note what a hell of a profit share for the staff. A years wages.

Sports Direct shrugs off high street gloom

Sports Direct reported a 12.4 per cent increase in sales in its retail division to £200m in the nine weeks to March 27, as the UK’s biggest sporting goods retailer by market share continues to defy the gloom on the High Street.

In a trading statement, the group said retail gross profit increased 8.8 per cent to £74m. Retail selling space in the UK was slightly higher than the previous year, at 3.8m sq ft. Group total sales for the nine weeks were up 10.3 per cent to £236m and gross profit was up 7.3 per cent to £88m.

David Forsey, chief executive, said on Thursday that the company would extend its bonus share scheme, incorporating still more aggressive targets – a strategy that is thinks has helped push Sports Direct to becoming the number one spot in the sports retail market.

The retailer, founded by Mike Ashley, owner of Newcastle United football club, affirmed its February guidance that it is on track to generate earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation of at least £205m for the full year.

If successful, this would trigger a bonus share scheme for 2,500 Sports Direct staff, who stand to receive the equivalent of 75 per cent of their base salaries converted into shares priced at 125p. The shares are trading 60 per cent above this level, standing at 199.1p in early London trading on Thursday.

The retailer believes the scheme has helped staff motivation and retention. The incentive programme vests in 2013, but staff must still be working at the company to benefit.

“The board believes that the bonus share scheme that covered FY10 and FY11 has been a significant contributor to our success. It is our intention to extend the scheme for FY12, FY13 and beyond incorporating more aggressive targets, the full details of which will be announced at our preliminary results in July,” Mr Forsey said.

Obviously can only be good news that he's getting wealthier.

But on a separate note what a hell of a profit share for the staff. A years wages.

words fail me.