Sports Direct

Christmas Tree

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12006472

Sports Direct has said it is extending its staff bonus scheme for the next two years after it played an important role in boosting profits.

The retailer announced underlying pre-tax profits of £100.7m for the half-year to October, up 40% on a year ago.

Group revenue increased 8% to £819.9m.

"There is no doubt that the bonus share scheme introduced to our colleagues last year has helped us to achieve these strong results," said chairman Keith Hellawell.

Employees would be eligible for a potential bonus of up to one year's salary, weighted 25% in shares in the financial year ending 2012 and 75% in shares in 2013, provided the group meets earnings targets of £215m and £250m in each year respectively.

Sports Direct, controlled by Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley, said it was confident of hitting its underlying earnings target of £205m this year.

The company also said it had the strongest trading day it had ever experienced on the day of the England v USA World Cup match.

However, it added that the period during the tournament was less successful and "sales correlated with the poor performance of the England team".

The richer he gets the better for us.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports Direct has said it is extending its staff bonus scheme for the next two years after it played an important role in boosting profits.

The retailer announced underlying pre-tax profits of £100.7m for the half-year to October, up 40% on a year ago.

"There is no doubt that the bonus share scheme introduced to our colleagues last year has helped us to achieve these strong results," said chairman Keith Hellawell.

Employees would be eligible for a potential bonus of up to one year's salary, weighted 25% in shares in the financial year ending 2012 and 75% in shares in 2013, provided the group meets earnings targets of £215m and £250m in each year respectively.

Sports Direct, controlled by Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley, said it was confident of hitting its underlying earnings target of £205m this year.

The company also said it had the strongest trading day it had ever experienced on the day of the England v USA World Cup match.

However, it added that the period during the tournament was less successful and "sales correlated with the poor performance of the England team".

It has absolutely no relevance for the well-being of the club tbh. I'd rather see him going bancrupt and to be forced to sell the club.

It has absolutely no relevance for the well-being of the club tbh. I'd rather see him going bancrupt and to be forced to sell the club.

Ofcourse it will. When he bought us he had something like 1.5 billion wealth. Think that then dropped circa 2008 down to about 700 million.

Its basic instinct that most of us feel better about spending more when we feel richer / better off, expecially with the world economy gradually picking up (at SD anyway)

Ofcourse it will. When he bought us he had something like 1.5 billion wealth. Think that then dropped circa 2008 down to about 700 million.

Its basic instinct that most of us feel better about spending more when we feel richer / better off, expecially with the world economy gradually picking up (at SD anyway)

He said, glancing in the rear view mirror at his increasingly bewildered fare.

He said, glancing in the rear view mirror at his increasingly bewildered fare.

:lol:

I've seen nothing since the start of his tenure to suggest he'll be anything but tight with his money. You're right in the statement that when we have money we feel better about spending it but this is Mike Ashley we're talking about.

I predict more purse clutching until the time someone offers him the astronomical figure he wants for the club.

Tbf, I'd rather not have Pony tracksuit bottoms and Donnay socks paying for our next big stars ... :lol:

I didnt even need a bike but I went to JJB and bought 3 just to boycott Sports Dire

who goes to Sports Direct to buy anything then ?

Looking at todays results I would guess most of the nation :lol:

do you ?

I tell you what I hate more than anything, the fact the SJP crowd is used in the adverts but just to make it worse with a ridiculous crowd noise over the top.

If we were to say we were in that picture/footage could we be entitled to royaltys or get it removed as we didn't agree to our image being used?

Fucking embarrassment being associated with soccer scruffs. :lol:

I didnt even need a bike but I went to JJB and bought 3 just to boycott Sports Dire

do you ?

I do sir, I do!

So you only boycotted the football after Keegan then? Not things that would have caused you any financial loss? Heaven forbid you should fork out an extra quid for that Kappa Trackie like.

do you ?

I do sir, I do!

So you only boycotted the football after Keegan then? Not things that would have caused you any financial loss? Heaven forbid you should fork out an extra quid for that Kappa Trackie like.

£10 quid to NUSC that was a financial loss :lol:

Looking at todays results I would guess most of the nation ;)

do you ?

I do sir, I do!

Looking at todays results I would guess most of the nation ;)

do you ?

I do sir, I do!

The first rule of nusc was, don't talk about nusc. :lol::razz: