Stadium Roof Collapses

Monkeys Fist

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

There must've been 2 foot of snow on wor roof against Chelsea, if that came down there'd be nee coming back from that for anyone in the Leazes.

There must've been 2 foot of snow on wor roof against Chelsea, if that came down there'd be nee coming back from that for anyone in the Leazes.

I thought exactly the same while I was at that match.

My mate was banging the roof for a corner and rather than booming around the stand as it normally does, it was like hitting brick.

I marvelled at modern engineering that the roof can hold that weight without any pillars....then I started to get paranoid about exactly what weight it can hold and started chewing my elbow.

I thought exactly the same while I was at that match.

My mate was banging the roof for a corner and rather than booming around the stand as it normally does, it was like hitting brick.

I marvelled at modern engineering that the roof can hold that weight without any pillars....then I started to get paranoid about exactly what weight it can hold and started chewing my elbow.

That is a feat more incredible than any engineered roof :icon_lol:

It's not like it was a concrete/metal roof. It's a teflon, air supported dome. When there was 17 inches of wet snow, one of the panels tore, which means that air was able to escape and the pressure wouldn't hold up the dome, so it would have come down even without all the snow weighing it down (apart from the snow causing the tear, obviously). The snow certainly sped up the fall though. Drove by it today; it looks really strange.

101212_metrodome_9.jpg

Here's a "regular" shot for comparison:

minneapolis_metrodome1.jpg

only in america you have an iflatable roof wtf!

Held up fine for the past 28 years. Would have been fine if the conditions weren't too slippery for the teams clearing the snow on the roof to keep working. Winds were getting too hard for them to keep working safely, so the snow built up too much.

Inflatable roofs similar to this exist on a smaller scale in the UK.

There's an office block near the Telegraph has one.

Aye, this ones 9.5 acres, I think.

Domed stadia were all the rage in the 70s and into the 80s. Then fell well off. The American Football team that owns this stadium has been whining for a new one for 15 years (the Metrodome was built in 1980.) I'm pissed off that they'll probably get a nice big chunk of public funding for a new stadium based on this incident.

Inflatable roofs similar to this exist on a smaller scale in the UK.

There's an office block near the Telegraph has one.

Aye, this ones 9.5 acres, I think.

Domed stadia were all the rage in the 70s and into the 80s. Then fell well off. The American Football team that owns this stadium has been whining for a new one for 15 years (the Metrodome was built in 1980.) I'm pissed off that they'll probably get a nice big chunk of public funding for a new stadium based on this incident.

Mooted designs.

new-stadium-1-big.jpg

stadium-two-big.jpg

VikingsStadium-Proposal.jpg

Don't get me wrong; I've no problem with them building a beautiful new stadium here. I *do* have a problem with paying for it, which is what they want, the public to pay for the damn thing. Communism. Already built a big new stadium for the College football team and the Baseball team in town. We don't have any money left you greedy fucks. You rake in billions per game but want us to pay for your workplace? fuck off.