henda11

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the Entertainers could have looked had NUFC got all their men

team.jpg

That side needs a Batty and/or a Lee.

Taking the fees from their moves around the time we were apparently interested in them, we could have had:

Schmeichel £0.5m

Barton £4m

Peacock £2.7m

Albert £2.6m

Beresford £0.65m

Beardsley £1.5m

Gascoigne £4.3m

Waddle £1m

Figo £2.25m

Shearer £15m

Rivaldo £2.5m

for £37m

Or one Andy Carroll :lol:

£15 million for Shearer when you think of the goals and performances he put in for us every single penny was money well spent.

Old argument, but who do you think returned more on the investment?

Lee

Shearer

Given

etc.

Its chicken and egg though; without the likes of Rob Lee getting us out of divi 2 then being utterly brilliant Shearer wouldnt have touched us with a bargepole, regardless of where he was born. If you can quantify it, our "value" as a club increased more as a club between 92-96 iyam. Good point about Shearer increasing our worlwide profile though.

Peacock was streets ahead of Dabizas. Actually Peacock must be one of our most underrated players ever. That said, Howey for the couple of seasons he was on his game and got an England call up would have been our next best centreback under Keegan.

Peacock was streets ahead of Dabizas. Actually Peacock must be one of our most underrated players ever. That said, Howey for the couple of seasons he was on his game and got an England call up would have been our next best centreback under Keegan.

Peacock was shit and not a patch on Albert.

He wasn't shit at all, he was just the only poor fucker trying to defend most of the time. But yes he wasn't a patch on Albert.

yep

if we're talking post-keegan, woodgate was genuinely awesome for the one game he was fit.

At about the time we got him in his career... I reckon that before Torres went to Chelsea, a modern day Shearer would go for about £50m. Post-Torres, I think clubs would be more careful; maybe about £30m. I reckon Torres in his prime was about as good as Shearer pre-Newcastle.

Just my opinion though.

Torres has only had 4 seasons in which he's scored more than 20 goals. Shearer had 11 including 4 where he scored more than 30 (compared to Torres' 1).

There really is no comparrison (well other than the one I just made) between the two of them. If Torres was ever worth £50m (he wasn't really) then Shearer at the time we signed him was worth twice that.