Freddy Shepherd

henda11

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Cracks me up when anybody comes close to agreeing with Leazes, they're spot on and clever and shiny and pretty... anybody else is a guttersnipe and the basest of creatures.

This old fool doesn't quit does he?

He has a point about certain ones though when he uses those words.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cracks me up when anybody comes close to agreeing with Leazes, they're spot on and clever and shiny and pretty... anybody else is a guttersnipe and the basest of creatures.

Thanks mate.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Thanks mate.

:razz:

I do believe though there's a certain amount of mental illness on this board.

you aren't improving with age, you're still a dumb cunt. Same as Gemmill.

good edit.

Jesus wept.

I'm saying he has a point LM, you tried to patronise me like I normally let you, but in this instance I can see you know nothing about Company law vis a vie the stock market and legal imlications thereof. So move away bro. :razz:

Where the fuck did that come from like? Sounds more like feelings of inadequacy than me patronising you. Sorry if you feel that way though, genuinely.

I won't respond to your point about the stock market for fear of patronising you further.

YOU do come across as a know it all in these types of threads isn't it? :D

So, are we to discuss the ratings system (analysts say for arguments sake S&P) used by the stock market vis a vie the appointment of independant chairman (especially if there is an odd number of directors) or not?

Didn't think so.

I'm a bit more animated in my language in this thread but that's because I'm exasperated by how clueless Leazes is to everything and what he feels he's proving by the argument he's trying to hang his hat on, because essentially it's meaningless. I apologise in as much as any of that spilt over into posts towards you. Basically I should know better than to even bother responding to Leazes at all.

As to your point about stock market/ratings systems/analysts etc, without wanting to sound patronising, I'd discuss that if it was at all relevant. But it simply isn't to the very basic point I'm making.

Well and truly Fopped. :D

Bit of a twat's reaction to someone giving you an apology that you don't deserve. Particularly seeing as he could have chosen to forge ahead making you look like a fucking idiot.

there are a few idiots on here Gem, but Parky - and myself - are not among them. Shame you still don't get it.

Ho hum.....

I didn't call Parky an idiot. And you're beyond idiotic.

Unfortunately for you, I'm right.

I also go to games, and haven't fucked off when the attraction created by the Halls and Shepherd was lost, like you.

good edit.

Jesus wept.

I'm saying he has a point LM, you tried to patronise me like I normally let you, but in this instance I can see you know nothing about Company law vis a vie the stock market and legal imlications thereof. So move away bro. :D

Where the fuck did that come from like? Sounds more like feelings of inadequacy than me patronising you. Sorry if you feel that way though, genuinely.

I won't respond to your point about the stock market for fear of patronising you further.

YOU do come across as a know it all in these types of threads isn't it? :D

So, are we to discuss the ratings system (analysts say for arguments sake S&P) used by the stock market vis a vie the appointment of independant chairman (especially if there is an odd number of directors) or not?

Didn't think so.

I'm a bit more animated in my language in this thread but that's because I'm exasperated by how clueless Leazes is to everything and what he feels he's proving by the argument he's trying to hang his hat on, because essentially it's meaningless. I apologise in as much as any of that spilt over into posts towards you. Basically I should know better than to even bother responding to Leazes at all.

As to your point about stock market/ratings systems/analysts etc, without wanting to sound patronising, I'd discuss that if it was at all relevant. But it simply isn't to the very basic point I'm making.

Well and truly Fopped. :D

Bit of a twat's reaction to someone giving you an apology that you don't deserve. Particularly seeing as he could have chosen to forge ahead making you look like a fucking idiot.

there are a few idiots on here Gem, but Parky - and myself - are not among them. Shame you still don't get it.

Ho hum.....

I also go to games, and haven't fucked off when the attraction created by the Halls and Shepherd was lost, like you.

:razz: Bringing out the real mature stuff now. 56.

good edit.

Jesus wept.

I'm saying he has a point LM, you tried to patronise me like I normally let you, but in this instance I can see you know nothing about Company law vis a vie the stock market and legal imlications thereof. So move away bro. :blush:

:D

YOU do come across as a know it all in these types of threads isn't it? :rolleyes:

Didn't think so.

Well and truly Fopped. :(

Ho hum.....

;) Bringing out the real mature stuff now. 56.

Age has nowt to do with it. I've gave you the benefit of my 56 year old experience, but it say everything about you that you ignore it if it doesn't suit you.

So who's mature ? :(

If NUFC win a few games, or buy quality footballers again like they did under the past regime, will you be going back again ?

• 3 years later...

Freddy Shepherd believes the time has come for Mike Ashley to 'face the music'

In an exclusive interview with the Chronicle, Shepherd also feels there should be a more open communication policy at Newcastle United, with Ashley lacking a figurehead at boardroom level who is prepared to keep supporters in the loop this season.

The Magpies promoted Lee Charnley to managing director yesterday but the move did little to appease disgruntled fans.

With the Magpies’ season fizzling out, Shepherd believes keeping fan enthusiasm high is vital for United at the moment with scores of fans threatening not to renew season tickets.

Shepherd has praised the job done by the Magpies on the financial front, but warned Ashley Newcastle will always be: “The people’s club”.

Shepherd – who reveals this week how he pulled off some of the biggest transfer deals in Premier League history – also feels United should be aiming higher than just the top 10.

He told the Chronicle: “You want to be as high as possible in the league for two things – firstly for the glory and secondly for the money.

“Each position you are in you get more money, the money is a lot more now.

“Financially the club are in a great position because Mike is a billionaire. There is no doubt money-wise there are any problems there.

“He does run a tight ship, though.

“Sometimes you have to let the reins go a bit and relax a bit.

“Financially he has done a great job.”

Shepherd, though, feels Ashley either needs to start talking in public or appoint a figurehead to do his talking for him.

Alan Pardew is United’s only senior spokesman with transfer dealmaker Lee Charnley and financial director John Irving uneasy with talking in public in the past.

Shepherd added: “You have to face the music.

“When I was there we had seven managers including caretakers. A lot of people think it is easy up there, but it isn’t.

“There are a lot of hard decisions to make because you are dealing with people’s lives.

“Newcastle United are very important to a lot of people.

“The welder, the bricklayer, they see Newcastle as their club.

“It is very important you try to keep his enthusiasm going.

“At the minute where they are they are not going to be relegated.

“They also had a great run to get them in the position they are in.

“I cannot see them being out of the position they are in now.”

Pardew has been left without a sounding board after Ashley gagged him from speaking to all of Tyneside’s newspapers and barred them from attending press conferences and the press box at St James’ Park.

Shepherd said: “The main thing is the lack of communication.

“You cannot ignore the local paper. I never ever barred the local papers, it was counter-productive.

“The only way to communicate is through the local press direct to your fanbase. Mike is a successful businessman. Some of the fans would rather he was a bit closer to the club than he is at the moment.”

We wanted to sprinkle St James' Park with stardust in a bid to build our dream team, says Freddy Shepherd

Freddy Shepherd has revealed how Newcastle United’s ambition during the Entertainers era held no bounds and how the plan was to sprinkle St James’ Park with “star dust” as the Magpies just missed out on delivering the Premier League trophy to Tyneside.

During a rollercoaster chapter in the club’s chequered history the Magpies went from staving off relegation to the old Third Division to the brink of the Premier League title in just FOUR years.

And former chairman Shepherd admits that the aim was to put out a dream team that were capable of making United the champions of England.

It is a story laced with both romance and heartache as Newcastle found themselves odds-on for the title in 1996 after building up what looked like an unassailable 12-point lead at the top of the Prem.

We all know what happened next – but compared to Newcastle in modern-day times under Mike Ashley, nobody can accuse the club of once lacking the ambition to mix it with Barcelona, Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

With Shepherd and Sir John Hall at the helm, the Magpies pulled off sensational deals for Alan Shearer, Tino Asprilla, David Ginola, Peter Beardsley and Les Ferdinand.

And the Chronicle can reveal that United also missed out on a host of superstars as Shepherd and Hall craved success in their bid to make the Magpies one of the biggest teams on the Continent.

Indeed, looking back at the host of stars on the former Toon chief’s hit-list, Shepherd confessed that Kevin Keegan only wanted to work with the best in the world – and his board were happy to try to deliver.

Newcastle tried to sign Brazilian superstar Rivaldo, ex-Real Madrid and Barcelona ace Luis Figo, Dutch genius Dennis Bergkamp, great Dane Peter Schmeichel and wanted to reunite Geordies Chris Waddle and Paul Gascoigne in the early 1990s.

Shepherd admits not every deal worked out for the best with the Geordie chairman also bringing in Patrick Kluivert from Barcelona and then Michael Owen from Real Madrid, but he feels that nobody can question the club’s ambition.

Newcastle also attempted to bring in Cameroon international Samuel Eto’o from Real Mallorca and Manchester City’s glorious leader Vincent Kompany, who was at Anderlecht at the time, towards the end of Shepherd’s tenure on Tyneside.

Reflecting on United’s impressive transfer shortlist of yesteryear, Shepherd told the Chronicle in an exclusive and revealing interview: “We made contact with them, but we didn’t always succeed.

“Some of them had already made their minds up or were trying to get a wage increase at the club they were at. We tried our best.

“Quite a few times we were close to persuading players to come but we always tried.”

Newcastle’s early Premier League years resulted in the Magpies luring back Peter Beardsley from Everton for £1.5m.

Yet the Magpies also travelled to the south of France to try to net Chris Waddle a year earlier while the club were still in the old First Division. Waddle later signed for Sheffield Wednesday as they could offer him Premier League football in the newly revamped division in 1992.

And United were also in the mix for Gazza when he quit Lazio to return to the UK to sign for Glasgow Rangers.

Speaking about United’s swagger in the transfer market back then, when I asked about the ambition of the club back then Shepherd told me: “We were on a roll if you like.

“Everything was getting better and better.

“We were getting a better stadium and better players.

“There was stardust on Newcastle at that time. We were everybody’s second favourite club.

“We wanted transfers and people would listen to us. A lot of clubs ring up and ask for players and nothing happens.

“We commanded respect. We played 100 European games or so in that time. It was ahell of a lot of games.”

How the Entertainers could have looked had NUFC got all their men

team.jpg

This is the Newcastle United dream team Freddy Shepherd and Sir John Hall could have delivered the Magpies in the 1990s.

United travelled far and wide to try to deliver the biggest and best names in football to St James’ Park.

While they may not have succeeded every time, nobody can accuse them of lacking ambition.

UNITED DREAM TEAM (4-3-3)

Peter Schmeichel

United were in for the big Dane during his Brondby days before he opted for Manchester United

Warren Barton

The Magpies smashed a British transfer record to sign the then-England international for £4.5million

John Beresford

The popular left-back failed a medical at Liverpool before the Magpies turned him into a Premier League star after signing him from Portsmouth

Philippe Albert

Newcastle lured the big Belgian from Anderlecht after he’d been a World Cup star at USA 94 before he became a Toon legend

Darren Peacock

Kevin Keegan used to call him the only defender who “wanted” to defend in the Entertainers team. United twice finished second with the pony-tailed Bristolian in their defence

Chris Waddle

Magpies’ officials travelled to France for talks with the former England man in 1992 but he opted for Sheff Wed rather than Keegan’s soon-to-be-promoted United

Paul Gascoigne

Freddy Shepherd admits he would have loved to have signed Gazza when he left Serie A giants Lazio

Peter Beardsley

The Geordie genius helped the Magpies climb the top flight, forging great partnerships with Andy Cole then Les Ferdinand

Rivaldo

Newcastle are thought to have looked into signing Rivaldo from Palmeiras before he signed for Deportivo la Coruna, then global giants Barcelona

Luis Figo

The ex-Real Madrid and Barca ace caught the eye of United during a pre-season tournament in 1992 at St James’ when he starred for Sporting Lisbon.

Alan Shearer

The Geordie No 9 and former England skipper would have completed a sensational line-up for the Magpies.

SUBSTITUTES

Tino Asprilla

United signed the then-Serie A ace from Parma in what they hoped was the final piece of the jigsaw in 1996 with the title within reach.

Dennis Bergkamp

With Bergkamp struggling to capture the imagination at Inter Milan, the Dutchman was targeted as a replacement for Andy Cole in 1995

Les Ferdinand

Newcastle signed the No 9 for £6.5million from Queens Park Rangers to replace Cole in 1995.

David Ginola

A snip at £2.5million from French giants PSG.

Freddy Shepherd reveals how the Alan Shearer deal was done under the noses of Manchester United

Freddy Shepherd today lifts the lid on how a game of transfer brinksmanship with Manchester United supremo Martin Edwards resulted in Newcastle United pulling off the sale of the century by landing England star Alan Shearer.

The £15m man and then-Blackburn Rovers star made history 18 years ago when snubbing Man United for a move to his beloved St James’ Park where he was allowed to live his boyhood dream of wearing the No 9 shirt at Newcastle.

Both Shepherd and Edwards had a gentleman’s agreement on Shearer in that they wouldn’t go above his valuation of £10m.

But when Shearer rattled in five goals in five goals for England at Euro 96 to attract interest from Barcelona and the Red Devils, Newcastle made their move.

Eighteen years on from the signing that rocked football, Shepherd told the Chronicle exclusively: “Do you know what happened with that transfer?

“We were up against Man U obviously.

“I had an agreement with Martin Edwards that neither club would go over £10m.

“Martin is a neighbour of mine in Majorca.

“The agreement was always to let each other know.

“One day he rang me and said they’d decided to do it.”

However, shrewd Toon chief Freddy had already got wind of the approach from Man United before Edwards contacted him.

He reflected: “We met Shearer at David Platt’s mother-in-law’s house in Crewe.

“Martin rang me and said, ‘We’re going to go over the 10’.

“I said, ‘Oh aye’ but I already knew that it had leaked out that Shearer had met (Alex) Ferguson.

“We went in to see Shearer and Kevin had to leave to head off to the Far East for the pre-season tour.

“Me and Douglas (Hall) were left to do the deal and we did the deal with Alan.”

Shearer’s desire to help lead Newcastle to even greater things was evident in the meeting.

But after Shearer turned down Man United there would be another kick in the teeth for the Red Devils.

And the deal underlined 1995 Prem champions Blackburn Rovers’ dislike for Man United.

Shepherd explained: “Alan told us he’d met Man U but he wanted to ‘come home’ as you would.

“He told us we had to speak to Jack (Walker).

“He spoke to him first and told him he definitely wanted to sign for Newcastle.

“Then he put the phone on to me to speak to Jack.

“Jack said, ‘It’s £25m to Man U but for you it’s £15m!’

“He wanted the deal done straight away and the money up front.

“And that’s how the deal was done.”

Shearer’s arrival was described as a deal “for the people of Newcastle” by Keegan but the deal, completed as the Magpies jetted out for a pre-season tour of the Far East that summer, put Newcastle in with a chance of winning the title in the 1996/97 campaign.

That season United smashed Man United 5-0, but after Keegan walked out of the club and was replaced by Kenny Dalglish the Magpies ended up settling for second place and a place in the Champions League.

Shepherd had hoped getting Shearer in was the last piece of the jigsaw.

He said:“We thought of the Shearer signing as, if Man United got him, we definitely wouldn’t win the Premier League.

“We knew we had to get him or we’d lose out.

“That was our thinking and strategy at the time.”

He said that the purchase of the former England captain was one of the best pound-for-pound signings in the club’s history.

Shepherd said: “Without a doubt.

“He helped us bring other players in too. If we hadn’t have got him at the time, who knows what would have happened?

“It was essential that we got him.”

For me Shephard's decision to appoint Graeme Souness after sacking SBR was the pebble which started the landslide which has left us with what we have now.

Aye your probably right there mate still there's no denying they were exciting times under Shepard/Hall/Keegan & The Entertainers. St James Park was a damn site happier back then.

Edited by trooper

I was thinking as part of a consortium it's irelavant really Ashley's not going anywhere soon imo.

I can't believe that we make Ashley enough that he wouldn't bite the hand off anyone who offered him something that met his valuation. He certainly seems to have very little interest in actually running the club.

The issue is that he's going to want about £300m to go and that sort of money (especially when you consider how much extra would have to be put into the team before we'd have a chance to compete for a champions league spot) is the stuff of Billionaires. And there really isn't an endless supply of Billionaire's wanting to own football clubs.