Police urge Newcastle drinkers to wear a coat

Happy Face

Temperatures have fallen so low that people on a night out in Newcastle have been warned to wear a coat.

Revellers in the city are famed for their skimpy clothing, whatever the weather.

But with temperatures plunging as low as -11C, police have warned people they risk hypothermia if they do not take precautions.

The NHS said drinkers should seek a balance between having a good time and staying safe.

A police spokeswoman said: "People on nights out over the weekend should be aware of the very cold conditions and dress appropriately, bearing in mind that they may have longer to wait at taxi ranks and bus stops.

"It is a good idea before leaving home to make sure someone knows where you are going, and to think about how you are going to get back.

"You should also carry a fully charged mobile phone with credit on it."

'Really exceptional'

Sue Gordon, acting executive director of public health for NHS North of Tyne, said: "People are particularly at risk from hypothermia when they've been drinking.

"Layering up is recommended, as well as wearing a hat and gloves.

"It's about getting a balance between a good time and common sense."

BBC weather forecaster Paul Mooney said: "The temperatures in Newcastle really have been exceptional.

"Last night there was a low of -11C, and things remained sub-zero throughout the day."

He added: "The cold temperatures, snow and ice look set to stay for the foreseeable future."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11912067

:icon_lol:

:lol:

Last night there was so many lasses in backless dresses it was unbelievable. I had a coat on and I was still shivering. It's such a geordie thing, they think we're mental down south.

I'm off out tonight for our work do. Not bothering with a coat as it's only 5 minutes walk away, which isn't because I'm nails but because I don't actually have a suitable coat. I might stretch to a cardigan, but it'd be a short sleeved one..

I think traditionally all the pubs were so hot and all next to each other that you didn't need a coat - especially if you got a taxi there and back. Now they all seem to be spread out (not that have been out on the lash for ages in the Toon - so that could be a lie).

Im coming back up next weekend and plan to go straight out on the piss after the Liverpool game so will have scarf/hat/coat on. I'll probably look well out of place!

I always find it so uncomfortable in the bars in Newcastle with a coat. Regardless of what it's like outside it's always melting in them. Mind you I've never seemed to be able to find a coat that I like that's thin enough and smart enough for a night out.

It's also a massive fuck on finding a place to put your coat especially if you're clubbing which normally means queuing at the start and end of the night plus paying for it, easier to put up with being cold for a bit I reckon.