Which defensive partnership would you like to see?

loonyTOON

Which defensive partnership would you like to see?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Taylor / Collochini for me.

Collochinis being good and Taylor used to be canny.

Think Campbell is a bit too slow and cumbersome and Williamson just wont keep his hands to himself which drives me mad.

:razz: Still looks quick to me like. Probably still pacier than any of the other CBs at the club.

there was one interception campbell made on sunday that was just different class, reminded me of watching him for england in france 98. all our other defenders were backing off and he just stood his ground and made a perfect challenge, the attacker running at him seemed to bounce off him, campbell stayed on his feet then found a black and white shirt when he cleared it.

he's old, but he's still good enough.

there was one interception campbell made on sunday that was just different class, reminded me of watching him for england in france 98. all our other defenders were backing off and he just stood his ground and made a perfect challenge, the attacker running at him seemed to bounce off him, campbell stayed on his feet then found a black and white shirt when he cleared it.

Aye, you're spot on, I remember the incident. Also, the time when he went for the ball (fairly) and Alex ended up in a heap in the box contrasted sharply with Williamson not being strong enough for Blackburn's 2nd goal recently.

Edited by alex

Think Campbell is a bit too slow and cumbersome and Williamson just wont keep his hands to himself which drives me mad.

;) Still looks quick to me like. Probably still pacier than any of the other CBs at the club.

Got wrongfooted pretty quick for their goal.

The year before that we played Brazil in "Le Tornoi" in France the only thing we've won in my life time. Ronaldo was without doubt the best player in the world by a mile at the time, better than Messi is now imo, and Campbell marked him out the game, he never came close to getting a kick, best I've ever seen him play and that reading of the game was evident on Sunday you're right. Also he's old, but I can't remember too many players his age that quick, he's got 2 years left at least imo.

I'd have Campbell and Taylor two centre halfs, Simpson is no where near as bad as he's made out on here.

The year before that we played Brazil in "Le Tornoi" in France the only thing we've won in my life time. Ronaldo was without doubt the best player in the world by a mile at the time, better than Messi is now imo, and Campbell marked him out the game, he never came close to getting a kick, best I've ever seen him play and that reading of the game was evident on Sunday you're right. Also he's old, but I can't remember too many players his age that quick, he's got 2 years left at least imo.

I'd have Campbell and Taylor two centre halfs, Simpson is no where near as bad as he's made out on here.

i agree. he still a bit to do before he's a proper attacking full back as his final delivery is a bit shite at times and his positional play isn't always the best but he's pacey, he overlaps well and he's loads of potential - he's canny young still.

i'm not sure i'd have taylor ahead of him at right back if i'm honest. he might be better defensively but i think simpson would offer more going forward.

I think Simpson has been judged on his time carrying that knock towards the end of last season, which turned out to be much more serious.

He's been very good anytime I've seen him this season(saw none of the Blackburn or Fulham games).

If you can't look good at right back then you're never gonna look good anywhere on a football pitch. Full back's the most limited role you can play and right full back you're typically up against fewer high calibre players than left full back simply because statistically the pool of good left footed players (who you're defending against) is a lot shallower to start with.

Simpson or Taylor can play there for me, I'm not really arsed.

Campbell and Collocini in the centre

Left back is just a pleasure to watch.

For the time being, Taylor and Campbell have started well so give them a run in the side for a bit. If they continue over the next two games, it'd be unfair to drop one of them for Williamson and Coloccini. I think the best partnership we have will be Coloccini/Campbell post January though as I don't think Taylor will be here much longer.

;) Still looks quick to me like. Probably still pacier than any of the other CBs at the club.

Howay man. Anyone can be turned on a pitch like that. Players were struggling to keep their feet all game. It doesn't mean Campbell lacks pace.

Howay man. Anyone can be turned on a pitch like that. Players were struggling to keep their feet all game. It doesn't mean Campbell lacks pace.

Believe it or not but apparently in some sort of speed test at Arsenal last season only Walcott was ahead of Sol, in terms of sprints or something like that.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Believe it or not but apparently in some sort of speed test at Arsenal last season only Walcott was ahead of Sol, in terms of sprints or something like that.

I totally believe it, I mentioned above how shocked I am at his pace. I watched him for the reserves at the SOS, and he was one of the quickest on the pitch and that was his first game back.

Sometimes I think CT just likes to be contrary, clearly Campbell was one of our best players on sunday yet he picks up on one minor error, I can't even remember it too.

Coloccini/Campbell. Taylor wouldnt be too bad but im starting to think Mike Williamson is pretty shit, very good cover for a fourth cb on low wages though. Hopefully we will be able to keep hold of these guys long enough so we dont have to spend more on them. If Campbell could last another season and we could retain taylor or get Wheater for free that would be super.

He may be (or more likely was) pacy, but cumbersone is the bit that bothers me more. Think you'll see a lot of premiership players doing that to him if he gets a run.

Anyway the threads about pairings and I just prefer Collochini overall and then Taylor. Think Taylor offers a lot more than Campbell whether thats defending or chasing a game and attacking.