Snow Tomorrow

Christmas Tree

I don't want to turn this into a North-South thing (ok, maybe I am) but all I see on here is people saying it's a pain in the arse but still finding a way of getting in or round it. Whilst now it's hit the south and the news are covering it all I'm hearing is people giving up and staying at home..

I am at work as the trains are running fine but on the whole I think if you are set up for home working which we are then it does make sense to do so. Last year when the snow first hit I didn't get in till noon whereas on the following days when I did stay home I could do a full days work.

I enjoy the jibes about people being soft but in 2010 home working should be encouraged imo.

Agreed, we're all set up with laptops and remote access to desktops but yet they're still complaining when people decide to work from home. They'd rather that people arrive two hours late than work from 9am at home.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to turn this into a North-South thing (ok, maybe I am) but all I see on here is people saying it's a pain in the arse but still finding a way of getting in or round it. Whilst now it's hit the south and the news are covering it all I'm hearing is people giving up and staying at home..

I am at work as the trains are running fine but on the whole I think if you are set up for home working which we are then it does make sense to do so. Last year when the snow first hit I didn't get in till noon whereas on the following days when I did stay home I could do a full days work.

I enjoy the jibes about people being soft but in 2010 home working should be encouraged imo.

Agreed, we're all set up with laptops and remote access to desktops but yet they're still complaining when people decide to work from home. They'd rather that people arrive two hours late than work from 9am at home.

My lass worked from home Friday and got a sarcy message off her boss. On Monday she worked from home and hour a overall from her boss telling her she had to make the effort to get in. So she's now driving 2.5 hours to darlington and leaving at 3 just to keep his face straight.

Only one lazy bastard has cried off today on my floor. Reckons she waited an hour for a bus then gave up, blatantly just looked outside and didn't fancy it though as she has a track record for doing that. Funnily enough it seems to be those who are frequently off sick who seem to live on the most troubled bus routes. Some people already lining their excuses up for tomorrow as well. :D Anyone would think that for the pay they get they're expected to come into work. :razz:

I do feel a little for those who have a long journey to and from work but unfortunately problems are to be expected if you work so far away from home.

Only one lazy bastard has cried off today on my floor. Reckons she waited an hour for a bus then gave up, blatantly just looked outside and didn't fancy it though as she has a track record for doing that. Funnily enough it seems to be those who are frequently off sick who seem to live on the most troubled bus routes. Some people already lining their excuses up for tomorrow as well. :D Anyone would think that for the pay they get they're expected to come into work. :razz:

I do feel a little for those who have a long journey to and from work but unfortunately problems are to be expected if you work so far away from home.

I think there has to be a correct balance.

If it means you're going to struggle to get home and either be stuck in your car, or have to pay to stay in a hotel then I think you should be allowed to take the day off or go home before it gets bad.

I dont think you should be expected to get to work no matter what the consequences, but should be allowed to take a days holiday if you're not going to make it in.

Some people really do take the piss tho!

Only one lazy bastard has cried off today on my floor. Reckons she waited an hour for a bus then gave up, blatantly just looked outside and didn't fancy it though as she has a track record for doing that. Funnily enough it seems to be those who are frequently off sick who seem to live on the most troubled bus routes. Some people already lining their excuses up for tomorrow as well. :) Anyone would think that for the pay they get they're expected to come into work. ;)

If it means you're going to struggle to get home and either be stuck in your car, or have to pay to stay in a hotel then I think you should be allowed to take the day off or go home before it gets bad.

I dont think you should be expected to get to work no matter what the consequences, but should be allowed to take a days holiday if you're not going to make it in.

I can see the logic in that, our holiday year runs Jan-Dec though so most people have used their entitlement and we can't borrow from next year. Loads of people have been taking the piss, someone left at half 2 the other day and got home at 5.15.. surely the point of leaving a little earlier is so you can still try and get home at roughly the same time, not 15 minutes after you're supposed to have finished. :)

Only one lazy bastard has cried off today on my floor. Reckons she waited an hour for a bus then gave up, blatantly just looked outside and didn't fancy it though as she has a track record for doing that. Funnily enough it seems to be those who are frequently off sick who seem to live on the most troubled bus routes. Some people already lining their excuses up for tomorrow as well. :) Anyone would think that for the pay they get they're expected to come into work. ;)

Yup, that's what I was getting at. Especially as we had someone ring in saying there were no bus's from their area so they were staying off..only for two other members of staff who live near them to come in on the bus they said wasn't running..

Couple of people who live far away are leaving now like, looks awful ootside. Hope I can get me car out.

This is the worst so far such a blizzard out here you can only see about 100 feet, and it's below freezing so the existing snow isn't gonna fuck off. This must be what it's like to live in Moscow without as many fit women knocking about like. Seriously you should just say I want to go home, it'll be dangerous after 3pm because according to the bbc website "heavy snow" right through till 6 then light snow. They said light snow on Monday and it was like Scott of the Antartic. Seriously I'd just walk out me.

You must be losing a fortune CT.

For a professional driver is it not worth investing in a set of winter tyres?

Thing is, virtually every pick up and drop off is in someones street and its just not worth the hassle getting stuck. Everythings much slower as well so you dont earn anywhere near as much.

Luckily the wife works (on maternity) so the bills still get paid. Moneys overated. ;)

This afternoon is probably when it's turned from being an incovienience to looking dangerous here. Paths and roads are in a bad way.

I donno like I ended up me arse twice last night going to the shop much to the amusement of two passing kids.

It's when it becomes compacted and icy that it becomes a real problem..which is why I chose not to take the car in today and stick to the Metro! It's weird though because it goes from being a blizzard when your heart sinks as it looks dramatic and scary to it being dead calm and clear.

This afternoon is probably when it's turned from being an incovienience to looking dangerous here. Paths and roads are in a bad way.

I donno like I ended up me arse twice last night going to the shop much to the amusement of two passing kids.

;)

Went arse over tit yesterday on my way to the bus stop. Sent my cup of tea flying everywhere.

Just been walking around at my break there and BMW/Mercs are getting stuck everywhere due to the rear-wheel drive(I think). Had to give a few cars a push.

Went arse over tit yesterday on my way to the bus stop. Sent my cup of tea flying everywhere.

Just been walking around at my break there and BMW/Mercs are getting stuck everywhere due to the rear-wheel drive(I think). Had to give a few cars a push.

Aye, any car with front engine rear wheel drive struggles. Top end Mercs/BMWs though transfer drive to their front wheel to help (something like that). To help you should load your boot with a few bags of rock salt and pull away in 2nd.

Aye, any car with front engine rear wheel drive struggles. Top end Mercs/BMWs though transfer drive to their front wheel to help (something like that). To help you should load your boot with a few bags of rock salt and pull away in 2nd.

Ive got a 2 door astra and its terrible in the snow!

Ive got 2 night shifts left to do and the snow is starting to piss me off now. Same lazy bastards rolling in 30mins late on a morning so I dont get onto the A1 until 8am and hit a 90minute traffic jam all the way to CLS, Funny how I have enough neurones to leave early for work so I get there on time!