Ireland

peasepud

What is absolute fiction though is that the economic growth of Ireland had any significant root in it (as you rightly say).

Not necessarily, if you take out the banks and the property market then the Irish economy isn't completely fucked. It's still not good but the country could have weathered the storm, the problem is that the banks were even more exposed than that of the UK and not even remotely well enough funded to deal with this situation.

The single cause of Ireland's woes is property, it became an obsession for both the public and the banks. Given a couple of years the problems should hopefully have been dealt with and the country can get back to some sort of recovery, though with the burden of having to repay a heavy debt.

What I mean is it is fiction to say that the type of growth you experienced had owt to do with the education system.

It has meant you've retained more talent than you've traditionally lost (a good thing for the economy overall) but to suggest that that was something that distinguished Ireland's growth from Britain in the context of the growth being experienced is a complete nonsense.

What caused the country's 'real' growth was low level of corporation tax. Something Parky's lot really don't like.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is absolute fiction though is that the economic growth of Ireland had any significant root in it (as you rightly say).

Not necessarily, if you take out the banks and the property market then the Irish economy isn't completely fucked. It's still not good but the country could have weathered the storm, the problem is that the banks were even more exposed than that of the UK and not even remotely well enough funded to deal with this situation.

The single cause of Ireland's woes is property, it became an obsession for both the public and the banks. Given a couple of years the problems should hopefully have been dealt with and the country can get back to some sort of recovery, though with the burden of having to repay a heavy debt.

What I mean is it is fiction to say that the type of growth you experienced had owt to do with the education system.

It has meant you've retained more talent than you've traditionally lost (a good thing for the economy overall) but to suggest that that was something that distinguished Ireland's growth from Britain in the context of the growth being experienced is a complete nonsense.

What caused the country's 'real' growth was low level of corporation tax. Something Parky's lot really don't like.

ars tbf

you cannit be bailed out to the tune of tens of billions and keep undercutting them folks what helped you out your hole.

What caused the countries real growth was free EU money which was pocketed by various ferral Irish tibesmen.

ars tbf

you cannit be bailed out to the tune of tens of billions and keep undercutting them folks what helped you out your hole.

Exactly. ;)

Wouldn't argue with that either but what's that got to do with education is the point I'm making? You could have the best education system in the world and corporation tax at 95% and I'd like to see the growth then.

I'm not having a pop at you btw just to be clear, it's just Osborne boils my piss.

ars tbf

I think you'll find that they can and they have.

Wouldn't argue with that either but what's that got to do with education is the point I'm making? You could have the best education system in the world and corporation tax at 95% and I'd like to see the growth then.

I'm not having a pop at you btw just to be clear, it's just Osborne boils my piss.

Tbf I've never claimed that it had anything to do with the education system. Of course it has helped but Ireland has no advantage over the likes of the UK in that area.

ars tbf

I think you'll find that they can and they have.

;)

Aye.

:D

What caused the countries real growth was free EU money which was pocketed by various ferral Irish tibesmen.

You can keep ranting but it won't make it true.

Tbf I've never claimed that it had anything to do with the education system. Of course it has helped but Ireland has no advantage over the likes of the UK in that area.

Aye that's basically all I'm saying mate, and it was aimed squarely at Osborne's comments rather than attributing them to condescension from the Irish as there was none in evidence. As I say it just disgusts me that we've got this mong running our public finances.

Well if we'd not been able to devalue the currency over the last couple of years we'd have been in the same boat - massive over lending to the property market was at its worst in the US. Oztralia, Spain, Ireland & the UK

Oz has a get out of jail card with the Chinese buying the country, the UK & USA are devaluing their way out of the s*** but Spain & Ireland are tied to the Jormans who disapprove of such things

I have a lot of close friends in both countries and it looks absolutely dire..................................

Can someone explain something to me?

We, as a country had to cut £7bn from our spending, raise taxes etc to ensure we didnt go bust didnt we?

So wheres this £7bn we're now lending Ireland come from? Is it that? are we now therefore officially skint? or did we just find it lying down the back of the sofa?