Ireland

peasepud

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most amount of helicopters per head of population in the world I heard on Question Time last week. They've basically had a party (as lots of countries have) but they've taken the piss even more than most.

Laugh it up lads but the fact this lads Chancellor of the Exchequer should worry us all ;)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...ticle733821.ece

"What has caused this Irish miracle, and how can we in Britain emulate it? Three lessons stand out. First, Ireland’s education system is world-class. On various different rankings it is placed either third or fourth in the world."

Jesus Christ Osborne you obsequious, heinous, despicable dishonest bastard of a human being. Yes, yes, that's why Ireland's economy is flying so high, because of their magnificent education system. That's exactly why house prices quadruple in the space of a year and everyone can go off remortgaging and buying helicopters on tick. Jesus, even back then everyone knew it was all done on the never never, it was just a case of whether there'd be a slow down to normal growth (which would still have overstretched some people) or outright oblivion.

is fucked

an extra 5billion in tax rises, 20% wage reductions and a government thats on the edge.

I expect a lot more competition when I next need a driveway paving.

Good.

Typical German attitude.

Laugh it up lads but the fact this lads Chancellor of the Exchequer should worry us all ;)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...ticle733821.ece

"What has caused this Irish miracle, and how can we in Britain emulate it? Three lessons stand out. First, Ireland's education system is world-class. On various different rankings it is placed either third or fourth in the world."

Jesus Christ Osborne you obsequious, heinous, despicable dishonest bastard of a human being. Yes, yes, that's why Ireland's economy is flying so high, because of their magnificent education system. That's exactly why house prices quadruple in the space of a year and everyone can go off remortgaging and buying helicopters on tick. Jesus, even back then everyone knew it was all done on the never never, it was just a case of whether there'd be a slow down to normal growth (which would still have overstretched some people) or outright oblivion.

to be fair our education system is awesome, lol but has nothing to do with our economics

Wasn't a dig at your education system at all and I'm more than prepared to believe it's amongst the better models in Europe. What is absolute fiction though is that the economic growth of Ireland had any significant root in it (as you rightly say).

Even when I think it's simply not possible to do so I still find more things to loathe about Osborne. I think that article is laughable tripe.

What is absolute fiction though is that the economic growth of Ireland had any significant root in it (as you rightly say).

Not necessarily, if you take out the banks and the property market then the Irish economy isn't completely fucked. It's still not in a good way but the country could have weathered the storm. The problem is that the banks were even more exposed than that of the UK and not even remotely well enough funded to deal with this situation.

The single cause of Ireland's woes is property, it became an obsession for both the public and the banks. Given a couple of years the problems should hopefully have been dealt with and the country can get back to some sort of recovery, though with the burden of having to repay a heavy debt.

Edited by ewerk

What is absolute fiction though is that the economic growth of Ireland had any significant root in it (as you rightly say).

Not necessarily, if you take out the banks and the property market then the Irish economy isn't completely fucked. It's still not good but the country could have weathered the storm, the problem is that the banks were even more exposed than that of the UK and not even remotely well enough funded to deal with this situation.

The single cause of Ireland's woes is property, it became an obsession for both the public and the banks. Given a couple of years the problems should hopefully have been dealt with and the country can get back to some sort of recovery, though with the burden of having to repay a heavy debt.

What I mean is it is fiction to say that the type of growth you experienced had owt to do with the education system.

It has meant you've retained more talent than you've traditionally lost (a good thing for the economy overall) but to suggest that that was something that distinguished Ireland's growth from Britain in the context of the growth being experienced is a complete nonsense.

Not necessarily, if you take out the banks and the property market then the Irish economy isn't completely fucked. It's still not good but the country could have weathered the storm, the problem is that the banks were even more exposed than that of the UK and not even remotely well enough funded to deal with this situation.

What I mean is it is fiction to say that the type of growth you experienced had owt to do with the education system.

It has meant you've retained more talent than you've traditionally lost (a good thing for the economy overall) but to suggest that that was something that distinguished Ireland's growth from Britain in the context of the growth being experienced is a complete nonsense.

It was actually just free EU money.