On this day...

Tooj

canny like...

Somebody like David Silva reminds me of him - well going by that footage anyway. Such a low centre of gravity.

2 "good" goals according to the commentator. :lol:

:gay: Commentators back then never used to get a stonk on over a goal like did they?

"...well, Green tantalised them!"

No, he dry-bummed them. :good:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

canny like...

Somebody like David Silva reminds me of him - well going by that footage anyway. Such a low centre of gravity.

2 "good" goals according to the commentator. :lol:

:gay: Commentators back then never used to get a stonk on over a goal like did they?

If you watch old Newcastle video's the standard words whenever we scored were always "and there it is, and there it is", and of course the classic David Coleman "ONNNNNNNNE NILLLLL".

Better than Roger Thames at least.

"Meat and drink for (insert toon striker)" he must've used that 50 times. Was brilliant when he was commentating on toon games, he'd say listen to this atmosphere being created by the Newcarssel fans, then it seemed every time right on cue, the whole ground would go "ROOOOOOGER THAMES IS A WANKER IS A WANKER."

Come on Leazes, ignore the shite & tell me about Tony Green and why he's better than any other player for Newcastle for the past 50 years because some people would like to know! :lol:

how do you do that ?

Seriously. There is no footage. Even those goals for Blackpool don't show anything like how he played for Newcastle, his talent, anything.

People can only talk about his pace, appetite, dribbling ability, the effect he had on the players in the team, his inspirational values. The sad thing is, when people like me talk about players like this, or anything else to do with the past to draw comparions with other players or situations, people just don't listen.

I realise Gazza, Beardsley and Shearer were great players, but Tony Green was the most inspirational and best player I have ever seen play for the toon.

While I knew he'd only played a handful of games for us, I hadn't realised he'd missed an entire season through injury for Blackpool too earlier in his (short) career and it was their promotion season to boot. Fucking tragic. How unlucky can a player be?

Just shows how many great players Scotland must've had in that era when he hardly got any caps too.

when he spent 18 months out at Blackpool with an achilles tendon injury it was feared he would never play again, but he came back. Joe Harvey was the only manager prepared to gamble on his fitness and it paid off, he may not have lasted long but his subsequent injury had nothing to do with the original one. The only thing you could say about Tony is that because of his style ie his constant change of pace, and direction, the speed of which was a major part of his game, he was always going to be susceptible to the sort of injury that finished his career.

Nowadays though, it probably wouldn't have finished him, but it took a lot of courage for him to come back from his first injury and play the way he did at the top level. He lasted until half time of his testimonial against the mackems and had to limp off. Tragic and painful to see.

2009 Preston North End (a)

1-0 (0-0)

Championship

Nolan(74)

United returned to the top of the Championship thanks to another vital strike from Kevin Nolan in hard-fought Monday night victory at Deepdale.

The former Bolton man swivelled to hit a left- footed shot beyond Andy Lonergan in the 74th minute for his ninth goal of the season, giving United the three points they needed to regain top spot from West Bromwich Albion.

THAT IS SO FUCKIN SCARY. How quickly has this year went. That honestly feels like last Wednesday.

Edited by WDP

2009 Preston North End (a)

1-0 (0-0)

Championship

Nolan(74)

United returned to the top of the Championship thanks to another vital strike from Kevin Nolan in hard-fought Monday night victory at Deepdale.

The former Bolton man swivelled to hit a left- footed shot beyond Andy Lonergan in the 74th minute for his ninth goal of the season, giving United the three points they needed to regain top spot from West Bromwich Albion.

THAT IS SO FUCKIN SCARY. How quickly has this year went. That honestly feels like last Wednesday.

I still can't believe how easy it was last season we were nothing special.

I can remember him keeping a very young Dalglish out of the Scottish team, a great talent but in my opinion Beardsley is the best player that I have seen play for Newcastle.

Playing record 33 games 3 Goals

Edited by BigAl

Come on Leazes, ignore the shite & tell me about Tony Green and why he's better than any other player for Newcastle for the past 50 years because some people would like to know! :razz:

I'll answer this one for Leazes.

The simple truth is I have seen every NUFC player over the last 50 years and Tony Green was simply the best.

What Green did over 33 games stick in my mind more than anything Beardo did in both spells at NUFC, and he did some pretty memorable things!