On this day...

Tooj

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw him, was interested in reading about him. You making an idiot of yourself was just an unfortunate coincidence (inevitability).

people like you, who are obsessed with me, that never saw Tony Green, remarking about me and/or my views on him, were completely expected in this thread.

I never saw him, was interested in reading about him. You making an idiot of yourself was just an unfortunate coincidence (inevitability).

people like you, who are obsessed with me, that never saw Tony Green, remarking about me and/or my views on him, were completely expected in this thread.

You think everyone is obsessed with you :lol:

You think everyone is obsessed with you :lol:

skidders def is. Gejon is too [or towards anybody who says anything about Newcastle Online]. Nowadays they appear to have been joined by mancmag.

should have been a good thread about the greatest player to have played for NUFC in the last 50 years.

ok...how can you compare a no doubt very good player who sadly didnt complete a season for us with Pedro who played 276 times for us and scored 108 goals?

You appear to indulging in one upmanship of the stupidest (and dare I say most childish) kind just because you're old enough to have seen him play.

Comparing players from different eras is pretty pointless at the best of times but this is fuckin ridiculous.

And no, I'm not obsessed with you :lol:

Come on Leazes, ignore the shite & tell me about Tony Green and why he's better than any other player for Newcastle for the past 50 years because some people would like to know! :lol:

You think everyone is obsessed with you :gay:

skidders def is. Gejon is too [or towards anybody who says anything about Newcastle Online]. Nowadays they appear to have been joined by mancmag.

:lol:

Come on Leazes, ignore the shite & tell me about Tony Green and why he's better than any other player for Newcastle for the past 50 years because some people would like to know! :lol:

how do you do that ?

Seriously. There is no footage. Even those goals for Blackpool don't show anything like how he played for Newcastle, his talent, anything.

People can only talk about his pace, appetite, dribbling ability, the effect he had on the players in the team, his inspirational values. The sad thing is, when people like me talk about players like this, or anything else to do with the past to draw comparions with other players or situations, people just don't listen.

I realise Gazza, Beardsley and Shearer were great players, but Tony Green was the most inspirational and best player I have ever seen play for the toon.

It's a tough one because people will often call it nostalgia rather than a valid opinion.

Would love to see a player who can cause such a stir in a handful of career games though.

It's a tough one because people will often call it nostalgia rather than a valid opinion.

Would love to see a player who can cause such a stir in a handful of career games though.

I understand that. But - at the time - I [and lots of others] knew that we were watching a very, very special footballer.

We were on about him yesterday. The song Jonny put up that the old timers used to sing, I remember being in the goose and there was about 10 blokes singing that song like soprano's. Every old timer you talk to gets misty eyed and talks about him in the same terms kids of my generation talk about Beardsley, what a total shame he only played 40 times, the fact he only played that amount of times, yet is held in such high esteem suggests to me he is one of the greatest ever toon players like.

canny like...

Somebody like David Silva reminds me of him - well going by that footage anyway. Such a low centre of gravity.

2 "good" goals according to the commentator. :lol:

:gay: Commentators back then never used to get a stonk on over a goal like did they?

how do you do that ?

Seriously. There is no footage. Even those goals for Blackpool don't show anything like how he played for Newcastle, his talent, anything.

People can only talk about his pace, appetite, dribbling ability, the effect he had on the players in the team, his inspirational values. The sad thing is, when people like me talk about players like this, or anything else to do with the past to draw comparions with other players or situations, people just don't listen.

I realise Gazza, Beardsley and Shearer were great players, but Tony Green was the most inspirational and best player I have ever seen play for the toon.

While I knew he'd only played a handful of games for us, I hadn't realised he'd missed an entire season through injury for Blackpool too earlier in his (short) career and it was their promotion season to boot. Fucking tragic. How unlucky can a player be?

canny like...

Somebody like David Silva reminds me of him - well going by that footage anyway. Such a low centre of gravity.

:gay: Commentators back then never used to get a stonk on over a goal like did they?

If you watch old Newcastle video's the standard words whenever we scored were always "and there it is, and there it is", and of course the classic David Coleman "ONNNNNNNNE NILLLLL".

how do you do that ?

While I knew he'd only played a handful of games for us, I hadn't realised he'd missed an entire season through injury for Blackpool too earlier in his (short) career and it was their promotion season to boot. Fucking tragic. How unlucky can a player be?

Just shows how many great players Scotland must've had in that era when he hardly got any caps too.

canny like...

If you watch old Newcastle video's the standard words whenever we scored were always "and there it is, and there it is", and of course the classic David Coleman "ONNNNNNNNE NILLLLL".

Better than Roger Thames at least.