Maddie book deal.

Park Life

McCanns sign Madeleine book deal

Kate and Gerry McCann Kate and Gerry McCann are writing the book about their daughter themselves

Continue reading the main story

Related stories

* McCann inquiry 'short of funds'

The parents of Madeleine McCann have signed a deal to write a book about their daughter's disappearance.

Publisher Transworld has bought the rights to their story of how Madeleine disappeared from a holiday apartment in Portugal and their efforts to find her.

Madeleine, of Rothley, Leicestershire, was nearly four when she vanished in Praia da Luz, Algarve, in May 2007.

All proceeds from the book will go to the fund to look for Madeleine, which has been at risk of running out.

The official Portuguese inquiry into Madeleine's disappearance formally ceased in July 2008, but private detectives employed by the McCanns have continued the search for the missing child.

The book, entitled Madeleine, will be published on April 28 next year to coincide with the fourth anniversary of her disappearance.

Kate McCann, 42, said: "My reason for writing is simple - to give an account of the truth.

Still have reservations about these two. Regardless of the tragedy and everything, it still doesn't sit right with me.

thats because she did it Parky

She looked decidedly dodgy in some of those interviews. I know that's probably not a fair comment etc...

Edited by Park Life

Still have reservations about these two. Regardless of the tragedy and everything, it still doesn't sit right with me.

Wouldn't surprise me

Regardless of who did what, this'll be three pages about the night it happened and 400 pages about the incompetence of the Portuguese police.

Book by Portugese cop was surpressed. Pending legal action.

Suppose if they were guilty they wouldn't want to keep bringing attention to themselves, or is it the perfect cover.

The Times on 11 September 2007 reported: “Despite the insistence of Kate and Gerry McCann that they had no involvement in their daughter's disappearance, Jose Cunha de Magalhaes e Meneses, an Algarve-based prosecutor, concluded that the evidence against them was strong enough to apply for a prosecution”.

Jose Cunha de Magalhaes e Meneses, a Regional Director of Prosecutions, gave evidence in court much more recently on the subject. He was a witness in the interlocutory hearing on 11 January 2010 of Goncalo Amaral’s appeal against an injunction temporarily banning his book ‘The Truth About A Lie’. Under headlines such as that on SKY NEWS on 12 January: “Madeleine McCann ‘Died In Holiday Apartment’, Mr Cunha de Magalhaes e Meneses repeated in the High Court in Lisbon his view that there was much evidence that Madeleine died in the McCanns’ apartment.

In addition, we need to bear in mind that despite her apparent desperation at Madeleine being missing, Dr Kate McCann refused to answer all 48 questions asked of her by the Portuguese Police at an interview under caution on 7 September 2007. Not only that, but the McCanns and all their ‘Tapas 9’ friends who were with them in Portugal refused to take part in a reconstruction of the events of the evening Madeleine disappeared, an event which would surely have shed much light on what really happened that evening.

(7) Whether the Madeleine McCann case has undermined the work carried out by police sniffer dogs, especially cadaver dogs and bloodhounds. One of the reasons the McCanns were taken in for questioning was because of the evidence provided by two dogs used by Martin Grime, recognised as one of the world’s top dog handlers. The cadaver dog Eddie was said by Mr Grime, on a video that has since been watched by millions, to have alerted to the scent of a corpse at 10 locations, four in the McCanns’ apartment, two in a car subsequently hired by the McCanns, and four times on clothes or other items belonging to the McCanns and one of their children. The McCanns have rebutted this evidence by claiming that the evidence of these dogs is (I quote) ‘notoriously unreliable’, yet despite that claim, Mr Grime’s dogs have been used successfully dozens of times to alert to the scent of places where corpses have lain for a period.

It might also be noted here that the McCanns, themselves and through their spokesman Clarence Mitchell, in an attempt to discredit the use of cadaver sniffer dogs, publicly referred to the case of Eugene Zapata as one where the evidence of cadaver dogs had, they said, been shown to be unreliable. However, less than six months after the McCanns made these comments, Zapata pleaded guilty to murdering of his wife."

She looked decidedly dodgy in some of those interviews. I know that's probably not a fair comment etc...

I think if you go back to the immense thread at the time most people reckoned there was sommat very odd about this indeed

£20 a shot apparently with the proceeds going towards the campaign to find Maddie. Can literally barely think of a worse waste of money in terms of a charitable donation. Obviously I hope they find her alive but apart from the obvious likelihood of that not happening I don't see how chucking loads more money at it will do any good. Loads more worthy causes imo.

Think this has been said on many threads that have sprung up over the years, but the mother just looks guilty to me. There is just something in the eyes that make me think shes hiding something.

Think this has been said on many threads that have sprung up over the years, but the mother just looks guilty to me. There is just something in the eyes that make me think shes hiding something.

She's been media trained but there are certain nuances that you can trace that indicate the possibility of lies. NLP for beginners figures that out!