Newcastle United 0-0 Fulham

OTF

Am I just missing it again or is Ranger crap (at the moment youth etc).

Surely they can get something out of Best xisco (is he still here). I would even have a bash with smith playing off Carol. He's scored quite a few in his day so should know what to do.

Jesus wept.

An out of form Ranger is still a million miles ahead of Best and Xisco.

Smith off Carroll :pullhair: fucking hell.

Has he ever done much yet?

And btw I am clutching at straws re Best xisco or Smith :)

(Smith has put away a few canny goals in his day tho when playing upfront).

He didn't even have a very good scoring record when he considered himself to be a striker. And that was about 6 years ago.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely they can get something out of Best xisco (is he still here). I would even have a bash with smith playing off Carol. He's scored quite a few in his day so should know what to do.

Jesus wept.

40 odd goals in 300+ appearances isn't that good for a striker.

Jesus wept.

He didn't even have a very good scoring record when he considered himself to be a striker. And that was about 6 years ago.

Aye, it was a shite scoring record. I dont think he has scored over 10 in a season.

i've got a bad feeling about this one. just liek blackburn, we ought to be winning these games at home, so a loss would be very much in keeping with our rollercoaster season so far. would be awesome if you could bounce back and consolidate our top half position. 20 odd points at christmas would be a job well done

Jesus wept.

:icon_lol: Went looking for the stats.........RETREAT!

CHRIS HUGHTON says he isn’t “afraid” to give Nile Ranger his big chance against Fulham tomorrow at St James’ Park – if Shola Ameobi doesn’t shake off a hamstring injury.

Ameobi retired hurt at half-time against Blackburn Rovers and, if he fails to respond to treatment in time for the big clash with the Cottagers, Hughton admits he has a straight choice between Ranger and Peter Lovenkrands.

Hughton told the Chronicle: “I wouldn’t be afraid to start him against Fulham.

“When I look at the options I’ve got it’s him or Peter Lovenkrands.

“Peter hasn’t managed to get the amount of football that he would have wanted.”

But Hughton feels that Ranger can handle the rigours of Premier League defences despite his tender teenage years.

He said: “Nile has had to be patient – as have others.

The reason we played Nile was because they are quite a big and aggressive team.

“They are very good on set plays.

“Nile has awareness to his game and the reason he came on against Blackburn was because he could affect their back three or five.”

Hughton admits that he is thin on the ground when it comes to strikers if Ameobi or anybody else breaks down.

He said: “Leon Best is just back in training properly now. So he is out of the reckoning and you have Xisco back in the squad, he’s been training and working his way back in. I do have options.

“It will be a tough decision if Shola doesn’t make it.”

Hughton denied there has been any contact from FC Copenhagen over a possible January bid for Lovenkrands.

I think he's the best partner for Carroll we have atm. He doesn't look like getting on the end of things very often but his pace stretches the game and he grafts hard. Shola / Carroll is akin to Shola / Shearer.

Does anyone know the scoring stats for the reserves this season? Who's being knocking them in.

Trouble is with the reserves is that for us and most other sides it's more or less an U19 / U21 side rather than a proper reserve team these days so it's not a great indicator.

I doubt if Fulham will be worried about facing either ranger or lovenkrands. Or Best, Xisco and anybody else on the books that are options up front apart from Carroll.

From what I've seen so far, Ranger is not ready for the premier league other than ten minutes at the end to run around and make a nuisance of himself. And putting in routledge to me is like throwing in the towel. He's fucking useless at this level. Much better to go with Nolan off Carroll but even that needs changing come January.

I'm not aboard the Hughton bandwagon yet mainly because I think tactically he is at a loss in most games. Top bloke, players like him, did well in the championship I get all that.You can argue that he has few choices and has had little or no money but he still appears clueless during the game. The Blackburn game was obviously slipping away virtually from the time we equalized but I'm not sure Hughton could see it. If he did, he did nothing about it and I had a feeling that Roberts would do exactly what he did. Outmuscle us.

can see this being a draw or a defeat.

Do not feel confident at all about our home form.

Still alot fucking better then their away form. Haven't won an away game since the opening day of last season, and that was against Portsmouth :pullhair:

We'll win, don't worry about it.

who the hell’s going to take free kicks and corners now Barton’s out?

Guthrie, if he plays. Probably better at in dead ball situations than Barton.

I've no idea at all where you get that from. He played the other week and started taking corners and freekicks and they were miles worse than Bartons.

His freekicks where he a dig at goal are probably better but that's it. His delivery isn't close to Bartons tbh.

One says better, one says miles worse. Somewhere in the middle tbh, Guthrie can deliver a decent corner and free-kick but Barton's delivery has been of the highest quality at times this season. Guthrie would be doing well to get to even close to the same level in his second (?) league game of the season.

One says better, one says miles worse. Somewhere in the middle tbh, Guthrie can deliver a decent corner and free-kick but Barton's delivery has been of the highest quality at times this season. Guthrie would be doing well to get to even close to the same level in his second (?) league game of the season.

About right, before this season i would have said there was little between their delivery from deadballs, both capable of a some good ones and some poor ones, but overall reasonable. But this season Barton has really stepped up from what we've seen at this clb from him. I'd be happy enough with Guthrie though, he'll get some decent balls in there and does think about it at times.

Barton has been good at floating them in and letting Carroll (normally) do the rest of the work. Guthrie normally tries to pit a bit more pace on his free kicks so they can be more dangerous but tend to be far less consistent. Hopefully he starts gliding them in like Barton because you just know that Carroll will cause them problems. Our free kick routines are very well rehearsed, so I'm sure Guthrie will have been working on them a lot as soon as it was known that Barton would be out.