How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Just had a gorgeous long walk around the local meadow which was covered in frost. Lovely cold fresh air in the lungs.

Then did 20 minutes on the treadmill while watching A Knight to Remember. First 5 minutes had very watery eyes.

Now he's resorted to crying to shed pounds for this weigh-in. Fuck me!

:( Bambi's on next.

CT you should look into high intensity interval training. 2J sent me a link to it. It's a much more effective approach to fat burning than just steady state cardio. More interesting too. And you don't have to spend as long on the treadmill.

Maybe in a few weeks. :( At the moment its a bit like day 1 at biggest loser camp.

CT you should look into high intensity interval training. 2J sent me a link to it. It's a much more effective approach to fat burning than just steady state cardio. More interesting too. And you don't have to spend as long on the treadmill.

spoken like a true prodigy.

rpm spinning classes are also an efficient way of burning calories for the same reason. as is 5 a side football, squash...anything that uses squick bursts of 100% effort.

steady state cario (long distance running for example or swimming endless laps of a pool) is a bit of a waste of time if you ask me. making it as expolsive as possible with quick breaks in between the work is a much more clever way of training.

Despite all the piss taking CT gets on this matter, credit to you mate for trying.

However, as has been stated numerous times, Tubby Club is not the way.

Exercise combined with healthy eating is the way to become the sculpted Adonis of Boldon you yearn to be :(

Since I'm closer in age to you than most on here, I understand how battering it on an exercise bike or whatever can do more harm than good. I also suspect that , like me, the thought of a gym brings you out in hives.

How about this- you've just said that you've been for a stroll, then had a bash on the treadmill of death. How long did that take?

Lets say , for arguments sake, 45 mins. I'm assuming that you weren't "power" walking round the park, so from an exercise point of view its not going to make a great impact. The treadmill has the potential to cause you damage- pulled muscle, joint impact injuries etc.

Why not get your self a bike, a real one? Spend the 45 minutes cycling around the park and further afield. You can start off gently, and as your fitness improves, increase the speed/effort you put into your cycling. It is relatively gentle re. joint impact and ( if you warm up properly) pulled muscle potential. Combine it with regular trips to the local pool - cycle there.

I know its not a particularly scientific approach, but I think it's more realistic than calorie counting etc.

Thoughts?

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Why not get your self a bike, a real one? Spend the 45 minutes cycling around the park and further afield. You can start off gently, and as your fitness improves, increase the speed/effort you put into your cycling. It is relatively gentle re. joint impact and ( if you warm up properly) pulled muscle potential. Combine it with regular trips to the local pool - cycle there.

I know its not a particularly scientific approach, but I think it's more realistic than calorie counting etc.

Thoughts?

As someone who has twice lost a shit load of weight (and having started the third time this year) I can't recommend cycling high enough. You can potter around ST for a couple of months and then you have the delights of going further afield in Durham to come once you're more confident and fitter.

Can you send met that link Gemmill ? Ta

If you have a look at the wikipedia, that's a good start. It includes some of the studies around it. I'll see if I can dig some other stuff out later too.

Basically, go on a treadmill, walk one minute, then whack it up to 8 or 9 mph and do a minute, then back to walking for a minute. And so on for 15 to 20 minutes.

If you have a look at the wikipedia, that's a good start. It includes some of the studies around it. I'll see if I can dig some other stuff out later too.

Basically, go on a treadmill, walk one minute, then whack it up to 8 or 9 mph and do a minute, then back to walking for a minute. And so on for 15 to 20 minutes.

Fart lick.

Ah right, I do that anyway. Although its more power walking for a minute then 3/4 pace for a minute in my case.

rpm spinning classes are also an efficient way of burning calories for the same reason. as is 5 a side football, squash...anything that uses squick bursts of 100% effort.

steady state cario (long distance running for example or swimming endless laps of a pool) is a bit of a waste of time if you ask me. making it as expolsive as possible with quick breaks in between the work is a much more clever way of training.

Depends what you're training for. HIIT 2 - 3 times a week with a couple of long distance runs thrown in-between is the ideal routine for fat loss and improved fitness imo.

Depends what you're training for. HIIT 2 - 3 times a week with a couple of long distance runs thrown in-between is the ideal routine for fat loss and improved fitness imo.

i think for burning calories while maintaining muscle mass, hiit is the best option.

if you do endless steady state cardio you will end up looking like a long distance or middle distance runner - too scrawny innit.

the other advantage of hiit is you burn more calories in a shorter space of time so ideal for a lunch break.

i actually find 12 minutes is ample for me. after warming up i alternate between a light jog for 60 seconds then 45 seconds sprinting all out, as fast as i can go on the treadmill.

another thing i like to do when the weather is better (instead of going for a long run at a steady pace) is to jog down to my local football pitch then sprint the length of it, walk back then repeat until i can't walk.

awesome way to burn fat

Despite all the piss taking CT gets on this matter, credit to you mate for trying.

However, as has been stated numerous times, Tubby Club is not the way.

Exercise combined with healthy eating is the way to become the sculpted Adonis of Boldon you yearn to be :icon_lol:

Since I'm closer in age to you than most on here, I understand how battering it on an exercise bike or whatever can do more harm than good. I also suspect that , like me, the thought of a gym brings you out in hives.

How about this- you've just said that you've been for a stroll, then had a bash on the treadmill of death. How long did that take?

Lets say , for arguments sake, 45 mins. I'm assuming that you weren't "power" walking round the park, so from an exercise point of view its not going to make a great impact. The treadmill has the potential to cause you damage- pulled muscle, joint impact injuries etc.

Thoughts?

Canny post Mr Fist and as it happens I have a bike sitting there doing nowt. Bought it simply to do the little bike rides with the bairn, but no reason at all why I shouldnt do as you suggest and I would find it more interesting than the treadmill.

Nice One :(

my trainer just had me doing a circuit with kettle bells comprising double armed swings, single armed swings, kettle bell push ups into squat thrusts, deadlift into farmer's walks, clean and press with kettle bells, reverse windmills and bent over row.

tried to do 15 minutes boxing at the end but could barely keep my guard raised. ruined.

edit - in case you've never tried working out with kettle bells, they originate from russia... fucking savage to execute and brilliant for core stability.

Edited by Dr Gloom

:lol: How much does this torture cost you? You want to take the side of his face off with one of your kettle bells. He'll sharp learn his lesson.

about 25/30 quid a session, depending on how many you sessions you block book. my trainer's a she actually but i feel like bitch slapping her from time to time - like all good trainers, she's a blatant sadist and enjoys seeing her clients suffer.

see her once or twice a week. spending the money that i'm saving by not going out so much these days - wife is up the duff so hardly ever go out boozing with mates anymore. i would easily spend that money in a night out on the lash...

it's well worth using a trainer if you find your gains have plateaued. if you can find a good one, they can be just what you need to keep your motivation going. i used to train with a work mate but we ended up chatting as much as we trained and ended up arguing all the time about the programe. the advantage of using a trainer is a good one will be able to design a routine taylor made to meet your goals.

it's well worth using a trainer if you find your gains have plateaued. if you can find a good one, they can be just what you need to keep your motivation going. i used to train with a work mate but we ended up chatting as much as we trained and ended up arguing all the time about the programe. the advantage of using a trainer is a good one will be able to design a routine taylor made to meet your goals.

Like a Chronicle headline that.

That's not bad like. You can book sessions at our work gym but I'

ve watched them take people round and they just put them on one cardio machine after another. It's only 12 quid a session but it looks like 12 quid wasted. A

there's plenty of shite trainers out there. just need to shop around. most will do a trial deal for new clients - 3 sessions for the price of two or something so you soon get an idea if they're up to much

Edited by Dr Gloom

x2 for a trainer.

I got one after a bad injury and she actually taught me how to use the gym properly.

It helped that she was absolutely stunning as well. I used to go around her house for sports massages as well. :lol:

x2 for a trainer.

I got one after a bad injury and she actually taught me how to use the gym properly.

It helped that she was absolutely stunning as well. I used to go around her house for sports massages as well. :lol:

mine isn't that fit, which is probably a good thing as some of the post workout stretching can get a bit intimate.