How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

The problems is, a lot of you "young uns" are eating way to much, but LUCKILY, burning it off in the gym. When the gym sessions stop, as they will at some point, the over eating will catch up.

Other way round for me, my gym sessions started precisely because of the overeating. I'm sure that's true of a lot of people who weren't particularly active as kids - there comes a point where your metabolism doesn't do what it used to (and it's not as if I was ever stick-thin in the first place). Fortunately, exercising a bit and eating a bit more healthily aren't the hardest things in the world once you start to see the results and get the motivation that brings - it doesn't mean having to become a soulless GymBot. :D

My point really (and I appreciate what you're saying).

If we take the Gemmil example, (and dont take this personally Gemmil).

Nearly every night he's cooking some delicious Jamie Oliver offering. While not the worst food in the world, those meals if combined with a normal breakfast lunch and a few treats , will produce a serious amount of calories. Because he is blasting the gym daily, the extra calories are being burned off and he should be keeping the weight off.

By his own admission he has usually dwindled from the gym by March and it is at this point the calories will suddenly start to turn to fat.

By bashing the gym it is allowing him to "cheat" the system.

Add into this the fact that when your younger, you are naturally more energetic and your metabolism works better. When you are older, you are basically fucked. :icon_lol:

I appreciate they're are exceptions to the rule.

Wow, you really don't understand nutrition at all, do you? This isn't me taking it personally btw, you just really don't know what you're talking about.

The Jamie Oliver meals are all healthy stuff - I don't eat starters, I don't have desserts, and the heaviest calorie content from one of the Jamie meals is around 800, if that. They average around 600 calories.

Combine that with what I have the rest of the day - a 400 calorie breakfast and a lunch that ranges from around 350 to 600 calories, and you'll see that I'm eating well below 2,000 calories a day anyway.

And that's before I go to the gym 5 days a week. Remember, immediately after Christmas I was 14st 10 at 6ft 3 with no gym involved, because I already ate healthily but overate a bit over Christmas. Today I'm 14st 4.5, which is near enough your weight but the best part of a foot taller than you.

Re the keeping the gym up - definitely been an issue in the past, mainly cos I didn't go often enough to see/feel the difference so tended to rap it in after a while. Now that that is sorted I'm confident I'll keep it up.

Anyway try and pick a better example to prove your non existent "going to the gym to stay healthy is cheating the system" point next time.

Edited by Gemmill

The problems is, a lot of you "young uns" are eating way to much, but LUCKILY, burning it off in the gym. When the gym sessions stop, as they will at some point, the over eating will catch up.

Other way round for me, my gym sessions started precisely because of the overeating. I'm sure that's true of a lot of people who weren't particularly active as kids - there comes a point where your metabolism doesn't do what it used to (and it's not as if I was ever stick-thin in the first place). Fortunately, exercising a bit and eating a bit more healthily aren't the hardest things in the world once you start to see the results and get the motivation that brings - it doesn't mean having to become a soulless GymBot. :D

Nearly every night he's cooking some delicious Jamie Oliver offering. While not the worst food in the world, those meals if combined with a normal breakfast lunch and a few treats , will produce a serious amount of calories. Because he is blasting the gym daily, the extra calories are being burned off and he should be keeping the weight off.

By his own admission he has usually dwindled from the gym by March and it is at this point the calories will suddenly start to turn to fat.

Add into this the fact that when your younger, you are naturally more energetic and your metabolism works better. When you are older, you are basically fucked. :icon_lol:

sorry like mate but that is just a load of old bollocks.

you're using age as an excuse not to excercise. i'm not saying it doesn't get more difficult as you get older but age alone isn't an excuse to not stay active. injury or illness is one thing, but i know plenty of guys in their 50s in my gym that are as fit as a fiddle.

a healthy diet plus regular excercise will change the way you look and feel for the better. a healthy diet alone can also do this but to a lesser extent. but tbh, from what i've read on this thread, i'm not convinced you are doing either.

i excercise because it makes me feel good and it helps improve body composition. also because i like to eat and our bodies need to be fueled well. i eat a lot of calories but it's all stuff with a good nutritional value, unlike the crap you put into your body. when you are active, you need good range of healthy fats, non-refined carbs and lean protein to give you energy and to help the body recover and muscle mass to build.

it sounds like you've got into a path of starving yourself during the week then binge eating junk and boozing at the weekend. while this may result in a calorie deficit and dropping some weight, you're basically going to end up with a 'skinny fat' body composition - in other words, you're muscle mass will drop and you're body will cling on to its fat. so while you will drop pounds and feel good when you attend your weight watchers meetings, you'll still feel embarrassed about taking your shirt off at the beach.

i've offered this advice before because but i feel it will fall on deaf ears again. only trying to help you stop wasting your time.

Wow, you really don't understand nutrition at all, do you? This isn't me taking it personally btw, you just really don't know what you're talking about.

The Jamie Oliver meals are all healthy stuff - I don't eat starters, I don't have desserts, and the heaviest calorie content from one of the Jamie meals is around 800, if that. They average around 600 calories.

Combine that with what I have the rest of the day - a 400 calorie breakfast and a lunch that ranges from around 350 to 600 calories, and you'll see that I'm eating well below 2,000 calories a day anyway.

And that's before I go to the gym 5 days a week. Remember, immediately after Christmas I was 14st 10 at 6ft 3 with no gym involved, because I already ate healthily but overate a bit over Christmas. Today I'm 14st 4.5, which is near enough your weight but the best part of a foot taller than you.

Re the keeping the gym up - definitely been an issue in the past, mainly cos I didn't go often enough to see/feel the difference so tended to rap it in after a while. Now that that is sorted I'm confident I'll keep it up.

Anyway try and pick a better example to prove your non existent "going to the gym to stay healthy is cheating the system" point next time.

I new you'd have a lip on :)

Its simple maths as explained in the health book your guru wrote. Dont use exercise to control weight.

If your body needs 2000 calories a day without including the gym, then you should be eating 2000 calories a day.

If you eat more, you gain weight, less you lose weight.

You, however, are currently burning an additional XXX calories a day by bashing the gym (5-600? more / less).

You are currently either losing gaining or maintaining weight. From what you describe you sound as though you are maintaining your weight.

So.....

If you stop or decrease the gym, as you usually do, then those extra calories that were getting burned off must result in extra weight. The only thing that would prevent this is you eating less calories.

It wasnt meant to be a rocket science statement, but your making it feel like one. :D

Other way round for me, my gym sessions started precisely because of the overeating. I'm sure that's true of a lot of people who weren't particularly active as kids - there comes a point where your metabolism doesn't do what it used to (and it's not as if I was ever stick-thin in the first place). Fortunately, exercising a bit and eating a bit more healthily aren't the hardest things in the world once you start to see the results and get the motivation that brings - it doesn't mean having to become a soulless GymBot. :icon_lol:

Add into this the fact that when your younger, you are naturally more energetic and your metabolism works better. When you are older, you are basically fucked. :)

I new you'd have a lip on :D

Its simple maths as explained in the health book your guru wrote. Dont use exercise to control weight.

If your body needs 2000 calories a day without including the gym, then you should be eating 2000 calories a day.

If you eat more, you gain weight, less you lose weight.

You, however, are currently burning an additional XXX calories a day by bashing the gym (5-600? more / less).

You are currently either losing gaining or maintaining weight. From what you describe you sound as though you are maintaining your weight.

So.....

If you stop or decrease the gym, as you usually do, then those extra calories that were getting burned off must result in extra weight. The only thing that would prevent this is you eating less calories.

It wasnt meant to be a rocket science statement, but your making it feel like one. :icon_lol:

:D Fucking hell.

Add into this the fact that when your younger, you are naturally more energetic and your metabolism works better. When you are older, you are basically fucked. :)

you're using age as an excuse not to excercise. i'm not saying it doesn't get more difficult as you get older but age alone isn't an excuse to not stay active. injury or illness is one thing, but i know plenty of guys in their 50s in my gym that are as fit as a fiddle.

a healthy diet plus regular excercise will change the way you look and feel for the better. a healthy diet alone can also do this but to a lesser extent. but tbh, from what i've read on this thread, i'm not convinced you are doing either.

i excercise because it makes me feel good and it helps improve body composition. also because i like to eat and our bodies need to be fueled well. i eat a lot of calories but it's all stuff with a good nutritional value, unlike the crap you put into your body. when you are active, you need good range of healthy fats, non-refined carbs and lean protein to give you energy and to help the body recover and muscle mass to build.

it sounds like you've got into a path of starving yourself during the week then binge eating junk and boozing at the weekend. while this may result in a calorie deficit and dropping some weight, you're basically going to end up with a 'skinny fat' body composition - in other words, you're muscle mass will drop and you're body will cling on to its fat. so while you will drop pounds and feel good when you attend your weight watchers meetings, you'll still feel embarrassed about taking your shirt off at the beach.

i've offered this advice before because but i feel it will fall on deaf ears again. only trying to help you stop wasting your time.

Lets remember, your path was admittedly littered with lots of failed attempts. It may be I have to go down the same trodden path. :icon_lol:

I appreciate there are blokes in their 50's who are super fit and bash the gym but everything has a scale to it.

If we take a fitness and healthy eating scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being an utter slob who eats takeaways most nights and does zero exercise, I think most who read your remarks over the months would place you at a 10.

I would place myself at about 2.5.

I dont want to get to 10, but would be quite happy to get to 5

This being the case, your regime wouldnt suit me, however I do concede that I need to do more to hit my goal and I am looking at ways of putting some sort of weekly plan in place that I can achieve and stick to.

Gemmill mate, please don't waste your time on a serious reply. :icon_lol:

:D I was just typing one, and thought fuck this.

He's found his vocation as a taxi driver like. Misinformed opinions on basically everything.

I am looking at ways of putting some sort of weekly plan in place that I can achieve and stick to.

Looking at ways. :D Just running a feasibility study on the whole thing at the minute. It's hungry, energy sapping work though. Could do with a takeaway to get me through.

I am looking at ways of putting some sort of weekly plan in place that I can achieve and stick to.

Looking at ways. :D Just running a feasibility study on the whole thing at the minute. It's hungry, energy sapping work though. Could do with a takeaway to get me through.

Supportive Cernt :icon_lol:

Here's a good weekly plan:

Monday to Sunday: Exercise an hour or so a day, don't drink lager, don't eat shite.

Weightwatchers telll you a load of shite so they can flog their food onto you, most of which is full of shit anyway.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Supportive Cernt :)

There's taking the piss out of someone as they make themselves a target and then taking the piss out of someone because it makes you feel better about yourself.

Always important to make the distinction imo :icon_lol:

Lets remember, your path was admittedly littered with lots of failed attempts. It may be I have to go down the same trodden path. :icon_lol:

I appreciate there are blokes in their 50's who are super fit and bash the gym but everything has a scale to it.

If we take a fitness and healthy eating scale of 1 - 10, with 1 being an utter slob who eats takeaways most nights and does zero exercise, I think most who read your remarks over the months would place you at a 10.

This being the case, your regime wouldnt suit me, however I do concede that I need to do more to hit my goal and I am looking at ways of putting some sort of weekly plan in place that I can achieve and stick to.

nah, not really, at least not anymore. when i was cutting before my wedding i got obsessively into it and i'd say i was a 10 for a period of about 6 months and got into the shape of my life. now i'm probably an 8 or 9 during the week (i still allow myself the odd glass of wine and piece of chocholate after dinner durign the week) then a 5 or 6 at the weekend, when i'll go out to eat and have a few drinks.

but i've found a balance of healthy eating and excercise during the week and letting myself go a bit at the weekend. but even then. i'm still making sure the calories i'm getting are nuritious and i'm not starving myself. it works for me; i've got more body fat now than i did a year or two back but i feel good about myself because i've found a sustainable way of living and have lost the love handles for good.

Supportive Cernt :D

There's taking the piss out of someone as they make themselves a target and then taking the piss out of someone because it makes you feel better about yourself.

Better yet if you can combine the two for maximum efficiency, though. It's like doing cardio and weights in the same session. :)

Supportive Cernt :D

Better yet if you can combine the two for maximum efficiency, though. It's like doing cardio and weights in the same session. :)

Well CT seems to take it on the chins so its fine in this case.

Supportive Cernt :)

You've been hanging about with Parky too much.

nah, not really, at least not anymore. when i was cutting before my wedding i got obsessively into it and i'd say i was a 10 for a period of about 6 months and got into the shape of my life. now i'm probably an 8 or 9 during the week (i still allow myself the odd glass of wine and piece of chocholate after dinner durign the week) then a 5 or 6 at the weekend, when i'll go out to eat and have a few drinks.

but i've found a balance of healthy eating and excercise during the week and letting myself go a bit at the weekend. but even then. i'm still making sure the calories i'm getting are nuritious and i'm not starving myself. it works for me; i've got more body fat now than i did a year or two back but i feel good about myself because i've found a sustainable way of living and have lost the love handles for good.

I'm sensing a beautiful coming together. The hardened, bitter DG can teach CT about balanced diets and nutrition while the bountiful, optimistic CT changes the entire outlook of DG, showing that, he too, can love again.