How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

the best way tone up existing muscle is basically by cutting fat (not weight). i'd recommend a split session. for cardio, i do two sessions of high intensity interval training per week of around 45 mins each. (spinning/ treadmill/cross trainer/boxing...whatever works for you basically)

plus two or three sessions a week of weight training, using free weights and performing compound excercises that work every muscle group in the body - you only really need to 6 excercises in one hour long session - deadlifts, squats, pull ups, bench press, shoulder press and bent over row. those 6 will hit every major muscle group in the body. maybe throw in a rotational core exercise for good measure

i found it much more efficient to split training sessions into cardio and resistance. you'll have more energy to lift heavier weights if you don't burn out using all your energy doing cardio in the same session. and lifting weights is key. if you do endless cardio you'll burn muscle mass.

the other key thing is nurition. don't starve yourself or you won't see results. make sure you eat lots of lean protein like chicken and fish and get your carbs from plenty of fresh fruits and veg instead of starchy man made carbs like bread and pasta. eat small portions but frequently. basically listen to your body. feed it when it's hungry and stop eating as soon as it's full. if you eat a large portion in one sitting, your body will only burn what it needs and store the rest as fat. snack throughout the day on small handfuls of nuts and dried fruit. neck a protein shake and a banana post workout.

i pretty much guarantee if you follow that training plan and remember to eat sensibly for six weeks, you'll see massive changes.

PS - sorry if it sounds like i'm preaching. it's just that i did loads of reading up on this before i started training years ago and like to share my experience because i spent years prior to that in the gym without ever getting the results i wanted.

Cheers :lol:

(I fucking HATE cardio btw, much rather stick to free-weights :blush: )

good luck! stick with it and don't deprive yourself a couple of cheat meals. i usually eat what i want and have a few drinks over the weekend but try to stick to the work out plan and a healthy diet during the week. that works for me.

Dr Gloom, can you do a free-standing handstand?

yeah. that's a great core stability excercise

When you do those compound movements you were on about, are you maxing out during your sets? I have no one to spot me on my bench so I struggle to max out. Struggling to gain but I need to build up core strength first and get good form on the compound exercises.

HIIT on the rowing machine is what it's all about. :lol:

totally. i love spinning too. i have a session with a trainer one a week. last week she had me doing circuits of - 20 box steps, 10 squat jumps, 10 squat thrusts, 20 box jumps all with shuttle sprints inbetween. took 1 minute 30 the first time then had to do two more of the same circuit with just 30 second rest inbetween circuit. time was about 10 seconds slower each time. by the end of the third circuit i felt like i was going to puke up a lung.

yeah. that's a great core stability excercise

When you do those compound movements you were on about, are you maxing out during your sets? I have no one to spot me on my bench so I struggle to max out. Struggling to gain but I need to build up core strength first and get good form on the compound exercises.

yeah. loading the weights as heavy as you will can lift is the best thing for you. 4 sets of 7-8 is good but if you really want to put on size, try 5 sets of 5 reps. you can always do a drop set the end when you start to fatigue if you have no one to spot you

It sounds silly, but that's a great feeling. I do a similar sort of thing twice a week with a trainer and I love it. I go back to work with the shakes and giggling with exhaustion. Spinning a few times a week too which I find difficult but is good craic.

I've already posted this before in a different thread, but it merits another post as it will serve as inspiration to all the lazy fuckers:

NGHHH I AM CUMMMINNNNGGGG

You've got to wonder about America when you realise this guy is running California. :lol:

HIIT?

High intensity interval training. It's an explosive form of cardio. You do intervals of going flat out then pausing to catch your breath. Way better way to burn calories than steady state cardio

Edited by Dr Gloom

Think you're worrying too much about your bodies. YOu all look fine in those pics.

Working out is like a drug when you get into it.

I do it a bit for a couple of months at the start of summer, didn't really get addicted. Bit boring really.

Think you're worrying too much about your bodies. YOu all look fine in those pics.

Definitely. :lol: I try to have the occasional rest day but I just end up feeling like a lazy sod.

I do it a bit for a couple of months at the start of summer, didn't really get addicted. Bit boring really.

It's a bit like smack. It's good but it's not everyone's cup of tea :lol:

CT, I've worked put who you look like. Henk Potts off Talksport. "Awroiiiit Mr Braziwwwww. Been in the Waitrose Oyster Bar again, have we?"

_38687253_henk150.jpg

I would take that...

Cant believe that voice is this bloke btw. Always had him down as a very old wrinkled old goat.