How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Been struggling with my feet again (I am an old man) so it's been a cardio-light few weeks, but I've managed to maintain my weight and I dragged myself around Parkrun on Saturday so things are getting back to normal. In Newcastle this weekend so I intend to do the Town Moor run on Saturday morning. Anyone care to join me? :D

Been struggling with my feet again (I am an old man) so it's been a cardio-light few weeks, but I've managed to maintain my weight and I dragged myself around Parkrun on Saturday so things are getting back to normal. In Newcastle this weekend so I intend to do the Town Moor run on Saturday morning. Anyone care to join me? :D

I've been meaning to go to that for about the last 2 years and still never bothered. :lol:

As with every other Saturday I did have it down as a possibility this week, but since I need to incorporate the weekly food shop and dropping my dad's present round his before being in town for lunchtime, it might be a stretch. I'll do what I do every week which is either not bother, or just go for a run round where I live as sitting on a bus for half an hour just to run 5K is always the part that puts me off.

Hoping they get the Rising Sun one going.

• 2 weeks later...

12-4 tonight nearly back within reaching distance of sub 12 stone.

Certainly harder the shift the closer you get to an ideal weight.

Going to try and cut the home drinking out for this final push.

This'll shift those last 4-10lb.

http://www.clinicbeaucare.co.uk/women-cosmetic-surgery/surgeries/chin-lift.html

How's your couch to 5k going? :razz:

Well it's clearly not, is it? :lol: Just found it impossible over the bairns 6 weeks holiday as I was either at work or had him with me. Joining the gym gives me a chance to start it again but I still hate running. Every fucking step of it.

And yet I thrashed out 30 lengths of the pool this morning with no bother at all. I'm just not built to be a runner.... :razz:

Good luck with the gym! I've never been up for gym classes but if you find one that you like it's a good way of "having an appointment" with the gym. Suppose it'll depend what time they run them for you though, with the little un and your shifts.

The gym's fine once you get into the habit and it's part of your routine. I go 3-4 days a week straight from work and a lot of the time I hate it but once I'm there I figure I might as well put some effort in.

Good luck with it. :)

I've been meaning to get into swimming but wearing a swimming costume is just far too much of a trauma.

Good luck with the gym! I've never been up for gym classes but if you find one that you like it's a good way of "having an appointment" with the gym. Suppose it'll depend what time they run them for you though, with the little un and your shifts.

Once he's at school I've got most of Mon/Tues free and they do 9.30am classes which is canny. Plus I'm planning on using the gym on the way home from work which would work out nicely unless it's been one of them nights when I need to come home and drink wine at 8.30am....:D

The gym's fine once you get into the habit and it's part of your routine. I go 3-4 days a week straight from work and a lot of the time I hate it but once I'm there I figure I might as well put some effort in.

Good luck with it. :)

I've been meaning to get into swimming but wearing a swimming costume is just far too much of a trauma.

Y'see, I should be the same but swimming's the only thing I'm really bloody good at so it's not too bad. It's just the hassle of getting showered and changed etc afterwards that puts me off going after work. It would be easier to go to the gym, go home, have a shower and go to bed instead of faffing around at the pool. It's easier to swim on my day off.

It's definitely a mental shift like. I still feel daft sweating and panting in front of other people, but you've just got to persuade the paranoid side of your brain that nobody's looking down on you for it - you're all in the same boat and, if anything, you get to collectively look down on all the people who aren't shifting their arses off the sofa at all. It's fun being on that side of the equation, even if it probably shouldn't be. ;)

So started running again to day in a push to get under 12 stone again.

Fuck the couch to 5k, thats for wimps. Just download a running app that tracks your distance, plays 80's diva music, plug in the bairns pink headphones and off you go.

I now fully understand the term "blowing out your arse" and have nothing but even more admiration for those people who do the GNR.

Ended up with long walks in between runs and feel a complete tit for not just using the very sensible couch to 5 k program.

As for the running app, it tells me I did 5 miles and was averaging 3 minute miles. Both bollocks.

As for the running app, it tells me I did 5 miles and was averaging 3 minute miles. Both bollocks.

Glad you added that, we wouldn't have been sure. :lol:

"Long walks in between runs" isn't too far from the Couch To 5K ethos anyway, it just adds the structure. Whatever way you approach it you're not going to go from "no running at all" to "constant running" just like that.

You should get yourself along to your nearest Parkrun course some time (South Shields I guess?), not on the Saturday morning to actually do the Parkrun itself, but some other time in the week. Walk the route, part-jogging it when you feel like it. It'll give you an active feel for what a measured 5K looks like in reality - no need for distance tracking apps - and what you're ultimately aiming at being able to run in one go.

(That all sounds quite patronising, I realise. Sorry.)

Glad you added that, we wouldn't have been sure. :lol:

"Long walks in between runs" isn't too far from the Couch To 5K ethos anyway, it just adds the structure. Whatever way you approach it you're not going to go from "no running at all" to "constant running" just like that.

You should get yourself along to your nearest Parkrun course some time (South Shields I guess?), not on the Saturday morning to actually do the Parkrun itself, but some other time in the week. Walk the route, part-jogging it when you feel like it. It'll give you an active feel for what a measured 5K looks like - no need for distance tracking apps - and what you're ultimately aiming at being able to run in one go.

(That all sounds quite patronising, I realise. Sorry.)

Not at all.

Having done week 1 of the c25k before and found it very easy, I stupidly thought I could just go and run without stopping. (Not the whole 5k)

But it's the structure and correct timing breaks that really makes that program. Hence the kicking myself all the way home.

I'll have a look at that park run site. Never heard of it before.

I'm in a huff with my running app (MapMyRun) after I set off for a run at 6am and the fucking thing didn't record it properly. :lol: Had to satisfy my own pedantry by drawing out the route online and logging it. Bastards!

Not thinking about it is definitely the best way, if you can manage it!

I just broke 30 minutes for a Parkrun 5k for the first time this morning, when I started Couch to 5k early this year it was a struggle to do the first week. It's a slog and there's no point in pretending it's fun, but my lazy bones prove it can be achieved.