How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Have you not got a tape measure? I'm curious now.

One of the whizzy ones where you try and hold the little metal bit under your toe whilst you measure your height....

First session spinning after three weeks doing next to no excercise, drinking like a fish and eating like a pig. You quickly forget how awesome training hard makes you feel afterwards. Was dog tired and dreading it on way in but left the gym bouncing, endorphins going haywire.

Body image: Men 'most unhappy about beer bellies'

Four out of five men confess to being unhappy about their body, suggests an online survey by the University of the West of England.

The Centre for Appearance Research at UWE studied the responses of 384 British men with an average age of 40.

The biggest body issue for them was their "beer belly" and lack of muscles.

Thirty-five percent of respondents said they would trade a year of their life to achieve their ideal body weight or shape.

The research suggests that it is not just women who talk among themselves about their body image.

The study compiled from the results of the survey found that 80% of men who responded engaged regularly in conversation about one another's bodies.

The greatest issue men have is with their muscularity, with 60% saying that their arms, chests and stomachs were not muscular enough.

This desire for more muscle mass may explain why one in five men questioned was on a high protein diet, and nearly one in three used protein supplements.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Body talk reinforces the unrealistic beauty ideal which reinforces leanness and muscularity”

Dr Philippa Diedrichs

UWE

Dr Philippa Diedrichs, who led the study at the Centre for Appearance Research at UWE in Bristol, described this conversation between men about their bodies as "body talk".

She said: "Body talk reinforces the unrealistic beauty ideal which reinforces leanness and muscularity.

"This is traditionally seen as an issue for women but our research shows that men are feeling the pressure to conform too.

"We need to take a collaborative approach to promoting an environment that values diversity in appearance and promotes healthy body image."

Dr Diedrichs said this was not a case of encouraging obesity, but an attempt to not trivialise negative body image issues.

Rosi Prescott, chief executive of Central YMCA which commissioned the research, said: "Historically conversation about your body has been perceived as something women do, but it is clear from this research that men are also guilty of commenting on one another's bodies; and in many cases this is having a damaging effect.

"The high levels of body talk that we have found in men are symptomatic of a growing obsession with appearance."

Karine Berthou, founder of The Succeed Foundation, an eating disorders charity in the UK, said men must be included in body image programmes.

"Negative body image is a serious issue in our society and is a key risk factor in the development of eating disorders."

Body image: Men 'most unhappy about beer bellies'

Four out of five men confess to being unhappy about their body, suggests an online survey by the University of the West of England.

The Centre for Appearance Research at UWE studied the responses of 384 British men with an average age of 40.

The biggest body issue for them was their "beer belly" and lack of muscles.

Thirty-five percent of respondents said they would trade a year of their life to achieve their ideal body weight or shape.

The research suggests that it is not just women who talk among themselves about their body image.

The study compiled from the results of the survey found that 80% of men who responded engaged regularly in conversation about one another's bodies.

The greatest issue men have is with their muscularity, with 60% saying that their arms, chests and stomachs were not muscular enough.

This desire for more muscle mass may explain why one in five men questioned was on a high protein diet, and nearly one in three used protein supplements.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Body talk reinforces the unrealistic beauty ideal which reinforces leanness and muscularity”

Dr Philippa Diedrichs

UWE

Dr Philippa Diedrichs, who led the study at the Centre for Appearance Research at UWE in Bristol, described this conversation between men about their bodies as "body talk".

She said: "Body talk reinforces the unrealistic beauty ideal which reinforces leanness and muscularity.

"This is traditionally seen as an issue for women but our research shows that men are feeling the pressure to conform too.

"We need to take a collaborative approach to promoting an environment that values diversity in appearance and promotes healthy body image."

Dr Diedrichs said this was not a case of encouraging obesity, but an attempt to not trivialise negative body image issues.

Rosi Prescott, chief executive of Central YMCA which commissioned the research, said: "Historically conversation about your body has been perceived as something women do, but it is clear from this research that men are also guilty of commenting on one another's bodies; and in many cases this is having a damaging effect.

"The high levels of body talk that we have found in men are symptomatic of a growing obsession with appearance."

Karine Berthou, founder of The Succeed Foundation, an eating disorders charity in the UK, said men must be included in body image programmes.

"Negative body image is a serious issue in our society and is a key risk factor in the development of eating disorders."

There's some massive contradictions in the quotes there. Some blokes admit to talking to other blokes about their appearance - christ, man the barricades! - and suddenly we need to value being a fat cunt. No thanks - I'm one at the minute and it feels like being crippled. I understand that some people revel in being the way they are, and that's terrific, but equating "being healthy" to "feeling the pressure to conform" is just pitiful.

Forties are a fucking god awful time to be fair, probably the worst.

Niggles and stuff start to creep in and the invincibility you feel in your twenties and thirties starts to fade. You start to notice just how old other people are getting around you and famous people from your era start dropping.

Then at some point you realise you have turned into your dad and you are the one now turning lights off etc. The final humiliation is when you realise that you've started sitting down on the bed in the morning to put your socks on.

Im guessing that by your fifties you've accepted old age or bought a jag, had an affair etc.

They should have a Biggest Loser-style show for that too, with a weekly "measure-in".

"Last week you were 2.3 inches. This week... beep beep beep beep beep beep ...you're 2.2 inches! That's a loss of 0.1 of an inch!" </garraway>

2lbs on over Christmas - amazed it's not loads more. I'm pleased to get my head back in the game though, totally sickened myself of crappy food and drink so haven't had too much trouble getting back into the swing of things.

Plus Biggest Loser is back on which is always a nice bonus. :)

Managed to drop from 15 1/2 st to 14 1/2 st last year. Checked after the holidays and I was 14st 8lb. So wasnt as bad as I thought. My aim for 2012 is to get below 14st for the first time since my 20's.

They should have a Biggest Loser-style show for that too, with a weekly "measure-in".

"Last week you were 2.3 inches. This week... beep beep beep beep beep beep ...you're 2.2 inches! That's a loss of 0.1 of an inch!" </garraway>

:lol:

Got the worst case of can't be fuckeds at the moment, think it's more to do with the times and time I am in the gym than anything though, for example tomorrow I have to be there at 7AM (on a fucking Saturday) and won't get out before 11am.