Celtic Park 6/11/2010

PaddockLad

75312_10150305595775366_874710365_15677692_2166775_n.jpg

The other thing that I learnt at the weekend is that John Snow refuses to wear a poppy when presenting Ch 4 news:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...r.html?ITO=1490

Is it a matter of personal choice or should we all be compelled to wear a poppy?....or in the case if our chums in Glasgow's east end, make it clear that it's actually preferable if you don't wear one?

Aye exactly, they're two different things.

I don't wear a poppy because of various reasons, including the huge advertising budget they feel the need to spend on something surely everyone is fully aware of already and the way it's been hijacked by the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns recently when that shouldn't be its main focus (imho). I'll have a strop on Facebook about it and argue the toss with anyone who says not wearing a poppy is tantamount to disrespecting our troops, past or present, but there's absolutely no need for the kind of orchestrated scenes above.

Compelled to wear them? No, (politics aside) that would be contrary to a very basic freedom that many people who are commemorated by the poppy died fighting to preserve tbh.

Celtic's protests..? bad taste as Ewerk and Ant state. And fair play to the Irish lads for saying so tbh; it's a fucking horrible history and there are still lots of flashpoints to this day due to ritual and commemoration of one type or another, but it's getting better all the time because reasonable people are in the majority.

I'm not saying people should be forced to wear one and I didn't come remotely close to implying that - I just think if you're against it the simple choice of not wearing one should be enough.

The people mourning the half million or so dead soldiers could probably do without the needless hassle.

I'm not saying people should be forced to wear one and I didn't come remotely close to implying that - I just think if you're against it the simple choice of not wearing one should be enough.

The people mourning the half million or so dead soldiers could probably do without the needless hassle.

Whats with the second post, Tom? Don't think anyone was accusing you of owt mate... :icon_lol:

Make wearing one compulsory - no, might as well make aids ribbons and red noses compulsory.

Make peaceful protest illegal - no, insult to the memory of soldiers who have died to protect free speech.

Personally, I'll pop my change in any poppy jar and wear one with gratitude.

An entirely personal thing, wearing a poppy.

The Celtic thing above just cements my already low opinion of them.

This.

The fact is that thousands of soldiers have lost their lives over the decades to give us the choice to wear a poppy or not.

Surely that deserves a bit of respect?

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Never wear one though I don't mind those who do.

Celtic fans have a fair point but I still think its wrong to state it so blatantly - among all the genuine sacrifice the fact that the British army are the biggest cunts in history is undeniable imo.

As John Snow said, the point he was making is that he's got the choice to wear one because of the sacrifices made. I know various war vets who refuse to wear one on the basis that we still go to war, so claim nothing has been learnt. Having said that, the 'protest' at the Celtic game was tasteless and pointless. Don't wear one of you don't want to, simple as, but don't go upsetting those that do.

The banner bhoys will be the same ones that are first with their hands in their pockets when there's a whip round for the fucking ira scum.

What's left to say about it though, seriously? Leave it to the dinosaurs on both sides. Don't give them the publicity tbh.

I know it's been mentioned before when they've been acting daft but loads of Celtic players will have lost their lives fighting in World Wars, which is what the remembrance is all about.