Punters shied away from backing 5-1 victory

Christmas Tree

FAR-FLUNG flutterers from around the globe backed Newcastle to beat their rivals, but no-one on Tyneside could predict the 5-1 thrashing.

Punters from as far afield as Canberra, Australia, put their money where their mouths were to back the Toon.

According to William Hill bookmakers, one Newcastle fan placed $2 on Chris Hughton’s men to win the game 5-1. And at odds of 125-1, they bagged a whopping $250.

No-one in the Newcastle area placed the same bet – but one fan based in Sunderland chose to back the team with a £1 flutter.

Graham Sharpe, from William Hill, said: “Fortunately 5-1 was not an overwhelming result. We offered odds of 125-1 and not one person in Newcastle took that.

“The biggest bet placed on a 5-1 win was a punter in London who put £2.50 on the score. They won themselves £315.”

Bets flooded in from places across the UK backing Kevin Nolan to score a hat-trick. People from Leamington Spa, Maidenhead and Barnsley all hoped to benefit from the 40-1 odds.

But no-one anywhere chose to have a flutter on William Hill’s odds of 500-1 for Newcastle to win 5-1 and Nolan to score three times.

Graham said: “The interesting thing to emerge is the number of people placing bets in Newcastle.

“You would expect them to back their team, but there are those who choose to back the opposition, and then if their team win they are happy, and if they don’t then they can have a few drinks with the winnings.

“No-one placed a bet on Newcastle winning 5-1 and Kevin Nolan getting a hat trick but we would have given odds of about 500-1 for that bet.

“That type of bet is strange because if a team score five goals then you would expect one player to score a hat-trick.”

One punter in Tokyo put 20,000 Japanese yen, or £155, on a Newcastle win, with bookies giving odds of 23-20. That lucky punter walked away with 23,000 Japanese yen, which amounts to a sum just shy of £180.

Graham said: “The interesting thing to emerge is the number of people placing bets in Newcastle.

“You would expect them to back their team, but there are those who choose to back the opposition, and then if their team win they are happy, and if they don’t then they can have a few drinks with the winnings.

Oh aye cos theres no Sunderland fans in the Newcastle area like :lol:

I bet a fair few had 5-0 and would've been gutted by Bent's goal. Worst one at the match for me like that was when I had 3 quid on Owen+4-0 against Stoke. Was 4-0 in the 94th minute, Owen got the first, then last kick of the game Liam Lawrence scored for fuckin Stoke :icon_lol::(:lol: £225 doon the drain in one kick. I rarely win anything at the bookies in the ground, the two kids on ladbrokes in level 7 :lol: honestly it truly is like dumb and dumber.

I bet a fair few had 5-0 and would've been gutted by Bent's goal. Worst one at the match for me like that was when I had 3 quid on Owen+4-0 against Stoke. Was 4-0 in the 94th minute, Owen got the first, then last kick of the game Liam Lawrence scored for fuckin Stoke :rolleyes::(:( £225 doon the drain in one kick. I rarely win anything at the bookies in the ground, the two kids on ladbrokes in level 7 :lol: honestly it truly is like dumb and dumber.

I had a quid on the toon beating Spurs 7-0 that time, made all the more galling that it was a Lee Clark own goal that lost it :lol:

oh how I laughed when he went to the mackems. :icon_lol:

you could have got 20-1 on today's Arsenal result.........................

Where? I got 9s but I heard bet365 were offering 12/1.

I had a look early last week and someone was offering 20-1 - might have been for us winning at HT &FT

Edited by Rob W

you could have got 20-1 on today's Arsenal result.........................

Where? I got 9s but I heard bet365 were offering 12/1.

I had a look early last week and someone was offering 20-1 - might have been for us winning at HT &FT

I think we've established betting isn't your strong suit.