any stephen king fans out there?

Dr Gloom

i only just discovered his books relatively recently. bloody brilliant writer. misery scared the shit out of me; i couldn't sleep after reading the axe and blow torch chapter - so savage that it was toned down for the film.

the shining, carrie, the long walk, the stand, the running man, low men in yellow coats, rita hayworth and the shawshank redemption, the body, it - all brilliant.

i'm on a mission to read all his best works. any fans out there? what do you think is his best effort?

The Talisman

I loved that book. Was Stephen Kin & Peter Straub. There is a link to the Dark Tower series in it but its a stand alone story. Getting made into a film actually.

Yeah I loved his earlier books. He's been off the boil for years now unfortunately, but it sounds like Under the Dome is a bit of a return to form if the Amazon customer reviews are to be believed.

The Stand is probably my favourite.

More into the stuff that links to the Dark Tower, Talisman and Dark House are both great. Both him and Straub keep promising a third Jack Sawyer book. Joe Hill, one of his sons, has done some decent stuff too. Horns is my favourite and a really good well rounded effort, Heart Shaped Box is decent too but kinda lags at the end after going at a break neck speed to start with some genuinely creepy moments.

I read Salom's Lot when I was 16 but that's about it.

The movie was shite - David Soul ;)

Shown as a mini-series it's actually quite good imo - the scene where James Mason asks the priest to take on the master is particularly effective.

His early books were more consistent but he's still capable of a good one. The Stand is probably his best. I don't like the more fantasy based ones and the collaboration with Straub didn't work for me - despite me being a Straub fan.

I read Salom's Lot when I was 16 but that's about it.

The movie was shite - David Soul ;)

Shown as a mini-series it's actually quite good imo - the scene where James Mason asks the priest to take on the master is particularly effective.

His early books were more consistent but he's still capable of a good one. The Stand is probably his best. I don't like the more fantasy based ones and the collaboration with Straub didn't work for me - despite me being a Straub fan.

Was it? It was that long ago I've forgotten anything other than how unbelievable it was to cast David Soul as a writer.

Now Stand By Me and Shawshank are decent films.

i didn't fancy the dark tower books at first. i've never really been into sci-fi books that much. are they worth a go then?

Id certainly recommend The Talisman.

It's a muddle of a few things. There's some fantasy, western and there are some sci-fi elements that do come to the front more towards the end. But it's completely character driven. If you like how King tells the stories of his main characters, how he puts the meat on the bones then give it a shot. By the time you're into the third book you've got a cast of characters that you really give a shit about. There are quite a few nods to other books and re-occuring characters from other stories that you might get a kick out of if you read Salems Lot, The Stand or Hearts in Atlantis. I've heard people say the first book takes some effort to get through, I thought it was fine and finished it in a day and a half. But it kicks up a gear with the second and third books.

just finished salom's lot. I was reading it last night and I found my self reading till 2:30 a.m. Almost every chapter gave me a stomach knot or chilled me to the bone. One night I had to remind myself that you have to invite a vampire in. Isn't that the whole point of a novel? That brief moment you forget its all fiction. 'Salem's Lot had tons of those moments. I have yet to see the movie. I'm going to wait until I finish the book. What are your thoughts and your first impression on 'Salem's Lot?

i only just discovered his books relatively recently. bloody brilliant writer. misery scared the shit out of me; i couldn't sleep after reading the axe and blow torch chapter - so savage that it was toned down for the film.

the shining, carrie, the long walk, the stand, the running man, low men in yellow coats, rita hayworth and the shawshank redemption, the body, it - all brilliant.

i'm on a mission to read all his best works. any fans out there? what do you think is his best effort?

I read "The Stand" years ago when I was in bed with rubberlegs flu etc