BA chairman - scrap "completely redundant" airport security

Happy Face

The chairman of British Airways has said some "completely redundant" airport security checks should be scrapped and the UK should stop "kowtowing" to US security demands.

Practices such as forcing passengers to take off their shoes should be abandoned, Martin Broughton said.

And he questioned why laptop computers needed to be screened separately.

The Department for Transport said there were no plans to change rules on checking laptops and shoes.

Mr Broughton also criticised the US for imposing increased checks on US-bound flights but not on its own domestic services.

The US stepped up security in January in the wake of an alleged bomb plot.

It introduced tougher screening rules, including body pat-down searches and carry-on baggage checks, for passengers arriving from 14 nations which the authorities deem to be a security risk.

Passengers from any foreign country may also be checked at random.

Speaking at the UK Airport Operators' Association annual conference, Mr Broughton said that no-one wanted weaker security.

But he was quoted by the Financial Times as telling the conference: "We all know there's quite a number of elements in the security programme which are completely redundant and they should be sorted out."

'Consider essential'

Mr Broughton, who is also chairman of Liverpool FC, added the UK should only agree to security checks that the US requires for passengers on domestic flights.

"America does not do internally a lot of the things they demand that we do," he said. "We shouldn't stand for that."

"We should say, 'we'll only do things which we consider to be essential and that you Americans also consider essential'."

Airport security worldwide has risen since the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and in December 2001 London-born Richard Reid attempted to blow up a commercial flight in the United States, using bombs hidden in his shoes.

The UK's overall threat level, set by the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre, remains at severe, which means that an attack is highly likely.

The US's Transport Security Administration said it worked closely with its international partners to ensure the best possible security.

"We constantly review and evolve our security measures based on the latest intelligence," a spokesman said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11632944

Should just restrict the checks to arabs.

I dont see whats to be gained in time or man power by not screening laptops outside of the luggage?

I pull it out of my bag, put it in a tray then put it back in afterwards, although yesterday they pulled it to one side and then ran a swab over the top of it and analysed that which Ive not seen them do before.

As for shoes, Im never asked to take mine off, is it just boots they want to screen?

I've no problems with security measures and don't see why anyone should object.

It's for your safety, at the end of the day.

Agreed.

Should do it at the match too. :D

I dont object at all. Its the stupid fuckers that wait until the very last second to get their shit sorted out that irritate me.

Agreed.

Should do it at the match too. :D

I dont object at all. Its the stupid fuckers that wait until the very last second to get their shit sorted out that irritate me.

exactly, how many times I've been in the queue with a bunch of twats moaning on about how long its taking and when the time comes to go through the security they havn't gotten anything ready and seem shocked that they're being asked to do anything at all. Ugh, people.

I flew from Stansted to Newcastle on the day after September 11th and things were understandably twitchy. There was a bloke in front of me at check-in arguing till he was blue in the face that he shouldn't have to put his laptop in the hold as he needed it in-flight. Criminal ignorance and insensitivity.

When i was flying regularly there it fucked me off constantly the amount of twats seeing everyone in front of them go through the same process of removing belts/jewellery after setting off scanners for them to do the same thing then go "oh didnt think i had to"

mongs the lot of them, i was like clooney in that "up in the air" movie, walk up, set down pile of stuff thats already been sorted, walk through, walk off

My theory is that anyone who sets off the scanner should be sent to the back of the queue. We'd see how many forget to empty their pockets in that case. :D

I traveled to and internally in the US recently and both were similar.

Belts off, laptop out. I think I took shoes off as well.

Aye I flew Dayton Ohio to Newark international just last month and I had to do all that including a shoe scan, I'm not sure why they keeps saying these checks don't take place on internal US flights. Personally got no problem with it tbh it's not hard to do gets a bit annoying if you have to go through 3 checks where you take your shoes off (like i did in manchester once while going to newark) give me something to fill the time in between check in and the flight i guess :D

edit: agree with ant btw i've never set off a scanner in an airport it's not rocket science I've seen people going through it 3 times before realizing the massive metal necklace round their necks...

Edited by Barton7

Agreed.

Should do it at the match too. ;)

'Shoes off if you love the toon'.

It's all a complete overkill. Plastic explosive is undetectable anyway.

it is by a metal detector but sniffer gadgets get it every time

you let a dog sniff your arse ;)

It's all a complete overkill. Plastic explosive is undetectable anyway.

it is by a metal detector but sniffer gadgets get it every time

Yeah like what? You mean the air spraying thing? Or dogs?

dear oh dear oh dear...... they have them special rooms they put you in and check the air, they run sniffer dogs over the checked luggage and have hand held sniffer units they also use. Some airports have special corridors you walk down and they also have sniffer technology as well as metal detectors built into the walls- its been around for years man - use yer eyes.............................................