What footballers think about fans

Holden McGroin

the fans are guilty of not treating players like humans either.

yep, plenty of responses in here prove it. he's talking about players' lives being threatened and that's not even worth a mention apparently.

I can't imagine appreciating the majority of fans if I was a football players. fickle wankers for the most part.

but people who already had a bit of sense like holden and asprilla will get it, while it'll fall on deaf ears for the rest. waste of time

:D Good points tbf. I don't think anyone on here condones the stuff you're on about. It just seemed to me like the author was more concerned with talking about what he'd done and where he'd been than in providing any real insight into the mind of a player in relation to the fans.

And I can understand contempt on both sides of the fence tbh.

Edited by alex

Bellamy, Keane and Messi probably never got shit off their own fans.

:D

Bellamy definitely has, Keane Definitely has and no, Messi probably hasn't. However, my point was that they play(ed) for the love of the game. Messi is on a stack of cash, but when you see him celebrate a goal, he doesn't just punch the air because he'll be able to afford that new clunky watch he saw in the Gucci store, he's celebrating the same way we all did when we were kids; with a massive smile on his face, just beaming with joy.

To be honest, a lot of the players who make it through Barcelona's system seem to play like they love the game and not the trappings that come with it.

I missed off "for being shit" from that post. Bellamy perhaps got a little at Coventry.

Anyway, back to Ricketts OP. I find a few points quite interesting.

For example, why should James Perch give a fuck. He has played 8 games for us. All 100% effort, seems like a nice lad yet is getting booed by his own fans.

I think they have to accept a bit of away fans banter and heckling but all this "they get paid enough money to verbally abused" doesn't cut it for me. They are still human beings and wont play better by getting booed.

Don't agree with that. I think Perch has played so that he can't be accused of being lazy, but I wouldn't say he's been busting his gut every game, I think he's playing like a man who knows he's out of his depth. Not sure if he should be booed, but I wouldn't say it's the majority of fans doing that anyway.

I think you get my point though. Ive heard Gary Speed and Warren Barton both be booed before. Both 100%'s.

But then, there's a massive difference between booing and death threats, but I'm getting side tracked

Rohan Rickets shows a lack of understanding of what football is about. He's looking at being a footballer as just a job, not a passion. He says that player appreciate the fans "because they pay our bills". That's not what football fans do. Football fans love their club and show love for players and managers and feel betrayed when that support is ignored/rejected. Rickets is just whining.

fwiw I can't think of a player being booed purely for being shit. I've heard cries of exasperation, I've heard groans and I've heard "For Fucks sake, get him off!" but I can't remember a player being booed for being shit.

oh and nobody is saying that some fans aren't scumbags, but this thread isn't about that, it's about a player having a whine. Honestly when I read that it felt like he was bitter that his career didn't turn out how he would have wished.

Edited by The Fish

Loads of players have been booed just for being 'shit' man.

Not saying there hasn't been, just saying I haven't heard it (or can't remember it) I mean genuinely booed as well, not just three knobheads who've decided to take a dislike to a player.

When Jamie McClen was skirting around our 1st team, he wasn't booed and he was fucking awful, Fumaca wasn't booed, Shola hasn't been booed (to my knowledge) and not only has he played like a spastic trouser press but he hasn't looked like he gives a shit either.

Sure people have said "for fucks sake Shola, run you prick" and the like, but like I said, that's exasperation and disappointment. I honestly can't remember hearing a player being booed simply for not being good enough.

I agree with that too like, I just think we've made it very difficult to throw stones from our position.

Not saying there hasn't been, just saying I haven't heard it (or can't remember it) I mean genuinely booed as well, not just three knobheads who've decided to take a dislike to a player.

When Jamie McClen was skirting around our 1st team, he wasn't booed and he was fucking awful, Fumaca wasn't booed, Shola hasn't been booed (to my knowledge) and not only has he played like a spastic trouser press but he hasn't looked like he gives a shit either.

Sure people have said "for fucks sake Shola, run you prick" and the like, but like I said, that's exasperation and disappointment. I honestly can't remember hearing a player being booed simply for not being good enough.

Well I suppose it doesn't happen unless there are other factors (like the team losing / being in dire straits etc) but I'm not quite sure what point you're making. Fumaca wasn't booed because he made the odd cameo appearance when we were otherwise doing alright. McClen barely played but did play class once v. Arsenal in the cup but other than that I don't think he had a stinker for us because he just didn't play for the first team. I remember Viana coming on once being booed (after playing shite in the previous game in the Uefa Cup iirc). Shola's been booed on and off before as well. Perch was booed for playing shite.

I agree with that too like, I just think we've made it very difficult to throw stones from our position.

Tbh, I think loads of the more vocal fans are twats. I've nearly got into altercations a few times at the reactions to some passages of play. So many show a complete misunderstanding of what the player was trying to do and look for perfect execution every time. To make it worse, imo, these 'rules' only apply to certain players while others are seemingly exempt. No wonder they think the fans are wankers.

Edited by alex

Well I suppose it doesn't happen unless there are other factors (like the team losing / being in dire straits etc) but I'm not quite sure what point you're making. Fumaca wasn't booed because he made the odd cameo appearance when we were otherwise doing alright. McClen barely played but did play class once v. Arsenal in the cup but other than that I don't think he had a stinker for us because he just didn't play for the first team. I remember Viana coming on once being booed (after playing shite in the previous game in the Uefa Cup iirc). Shola's been booed on and off before as well. Perch was booed for playing shite.

Viana was booed because of cowardice, he shied away from a tackle that directly lead to them scoring. That's why he was booed, not because he was shit, but because he couldn't care less.

Again if Shola was booed, I'd wager it was for a lack of application rather than for being shit.

My point is that Players aren't abused for a lack of ability, they're abused for disrespecting the club and throught the club, the fans.

Tbh, I think loads of the more vocal fans are twats. I've nearly got into altercations a few times at the reactions to some passages of play. So many show a complete misunderstanding of what the player was trying to do and look for perfect execution every time. To make it worse, imo, these 'rules' only apply to certain players while others are seemingly exempt. No wonder they think the fans are wankers.

yeah this is pretty much how I feel tbh. not like players like barton or dyer don't behave like arseholes too.

yeah this is pretty much how I feel tbh. not like players like barton or dyer don't behave like arseholes too.

My biggest complaint is when players don't do the "simple" things right. I mean I doubt I could control a ball under the intense pressure of 50k fans' gaze, but I'm not a professional sportsman. The odd slip up is understandable, but there are players who persist in making the wrong choice, or suffer so many lapses in concentration that the occasional good touch is jeered rather than cheered.

I think a lot of it is because I've not experienced that pressure, I can't fathom their seemingly avoidable mistakes. I won't chew out a player for attempting a long raking ball a couples of times, but if his inaccuracy is costing us possession and goals I will...

My biggest complaint is when players don't do the "simple" things right. I mean I doubt I could control a ball under the intense pressure of 50k fans' gaze, but I'm not a professional sportsman. The odd slip up is understandable, but there are players who persist in making the wrong choice, or suffer so many lapses in concentration that the occasional good touch is jeered rather than cheered.

I think a lot of it is because I've not experienced that pressure, I can't fathom their seemingly avoidable mistakes. I won't chew out a player for attempting a long raking ball a couples of times, but if his inaccuracy is costing us possession and goals I will...

Not having a go here Fish but from this I am going to assume you have never played 11-a-side football. Am I correct?

pewp iconboots.gif

Be my guest, I wasn't any good, I just used to have a decent engine and I was tall for my age. Took the field along side Shandran, Sadler and Christian Graham.

I was genuinely shit mind.