Homophobia in football

Happy Face

Fucking Croats they wouldn't have had half the team they've had over the last 20 years if it wasn't for the Australian they "claimed."

Hopefully the next one they poach not only strengthens the spine of their team but also becomes their new rod!

Fucking Croats they wouldn't have had half the team they've had over the last 20 years if it wasn't for the Australian they "claimed."

Hopefully the next one they poach not only strengthens the spine of their team but also becomes their new rod!

out of interest who are you on about? Simunic maybe or am i forgetting someone?

Anyway, this is sadly typical of a lot of eastern Europe, after spending a bit of time in the Czech Republic (which I have been told is one of the less homophbic countries in the region) I found an anti-gay sentiment to be extremely prevelent (with many exceptions of course).

I guess we won't be shipping Xisco off to Dinamo Zagreb then!

Australian born Simunic had a horrible horrible game against us at the 2006 World Cup.. was sent off with three yellows and should easily have had two additonal penalties given against him. :icon_lol: That game was such a farce it's ridiculous.

out of interest who are you on about? Simunic maybe or am i forgetting someone?

Anyway, this is sadly typical of a lot of eastern Europe, after spending a bit of time in the Czech Republic (which I have been told is one of the less homophbic countries in the region) I found an anti-gay sentiment to be extremely prevelent (with many exceptions of course).

At the 2006 WC the Croatian coach, Zlatko Kranjčar, called the Croatia v Aust game Croatia A v Croatia B.

Recently there has been:

Josip Šimunić - was educated through a scholarship at the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS)

Anthony Šerić - Again went through the AIS

Joey Didulica

They also tried their hardest to get Viduka, Kalac, Bosnich ad few others.

Australian born Simunic had a horrible horrible game against us at the 2006 World Cup.. was sent off with three yellows and should easily have had two additonal penalties given against him. :icon_lol: That game was such a farce it's ridiculous.

Can you believe Poll "mistook" him for an Australian player because of his accent and hence why he didn't send him off until the 3rd yellow card!!!

Šimunić hadn't lived in Australia for about 10 years by that stage, I doubt he had much of an accent left.

With every respect, it's not exactly half their grade-A squad for the last 20 years, is it? :icon_lol:

No it's not, I did go a bit Stevie like with the initial comment :lol:

Šimunić and Šerić did feature a fair bit for them.

There have also been a few squad players over the last 40 years (so for FYR) but in all honesty considering WC qualification was nigh on impossible for us for those years, who can blame them.

Can you believe Poll "mistook" him for an Australian player because of his accent and hence why he didn't send him off until the 3rd yellow card!!!

Šimunić hadn't lived in Australia for about 10 years by that stage, I doubt he had much of an accent left.

I guess he'd be speaking Croatian in Croatia, so his English accent would still be quite Australian. What kind of excuse from Poll is that anyway, did he award the yellow with his eyes shut based on some offensive comments made by Simunic? :lol:

Australian born Simunic had a horrible horrible game against us at the 2006 World Cup.. was sent off with three yellows and should easily have had two additonal penalties given against him. :lol: That game was such a farce it's ridiculous.

I guess he'd be speaking Croatian in Croatia, so his English accent would still be quite Australian. What kind of excuse from Poll is that anyway, did he award the yellow with his eyes shut based on some offensive comments made by Simunic? :gay:

Chances are he's more like Grella and can barely speak English :icon_lol:

Australian born Simunic had a horrible horrible game against us at the 2006 World Cup.. was sent off with three yellows and should easily have had two additonal penalties given against him. :lol: That game was such a farce it's ridiculous.

I guess he'd be speaking Croatian in Croatia, so his English accent would still be quite Australian. What kind of excuse from Poll is that anyway, did he award the yellow with his eyes shut based on some offensive comments made by Simunic? :good:

How quickly did Grella turn from a quality defensive midfielder into a hack, it was ridiculous. I blame Sam Allardyce.

How funny that we paid less for 24 year old Cheik Tiote than they did for a 27/28 year old Vince Grella. :gay:

I guess he'd be speaking Croatian in Croatia, so his English accent would still be quite Australian. What kind of excuse from Poll is that anyway, did he award the yellow with his eyes shut based on some offensive comments made by Simunic? :good:

How quickly did Grella turn from a quality defensive midfielder into a hack, it was ridiculous. I blame Sam Allardyce.

How funny that we paid less for 24 year old Cheik Tiote than they did for a 27/28 year old Vince Grella. :gay:

Unfortunately for Grella I think the English game is far to quick for him, whereas in Italy and in international competition the pace is far more measured allowing him to play football - think Nicky Butt/Smith v Tiote.

That's another thing about Tiote, the pace the guy has is amazing. Even when he was goose stepping it back a couple of games ago, he was catching the opposition player hand over fist.

With every respect, it's not exactly half their grade-A squad for the last 20 years, is it? :suicide:

aye, Boban, Prosinecki, Asanovic, suker, Stimac, boksic, wouldn't make a bad pub side (or part of it). None of them are Australian.

With every respect, it's not exactly half their grade-A squad for the last 20 years, is it? :D

No it's not, I did go a bit Stevie like with the initial comment :razz:

Šimunić and Šerić did feature a fair bit for them.

There have also been a few squad players over the last 40 years (so for FYR) but in all honesty considering WC qualification was nigh on impossible for us for those years, who can blame them.

Either way, I think it's entirely appropriate to be having a debate about Australian football in a thread about poofs.

I think you've inadvertently gone and said something mildly witty. Good on you :suicide:

http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=599821

Great book from a legend of Australian football (RIP) dealing with the changes in attitude to the round ball game down under.

Either way, I think it's entirely appropriate to be having a debate about Australian football in a thread about poofs.

I think you've inadvertently gone and said something mildly witty. Good on you :suicide:

Great book from a legend of Australian football (RIP) dealing with the changes in attitude to the round ball game down under.

And Martin before you rush out and buy it can I just let you know as great as the man, Johnny Warren was, the book is shockingly edited and will leave you, one who works with words, feeling dirty and in need of disinfectant!

I think you've inadvertently gone and said something mildly witty. Good on you :D

And Martin before you rush out and buy it can I just let you know as great as the man, Johnny Warren was, the book is shockingly edited and will leave you, one who works with words, feeling dirty and in need of disinfectant!

That's fine by me. :suicide: