Newcastle United FC 5-1 5under1and AFC

Guest Tuco Ramirez

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Sunday, my "objection" to Nolan was that I thought (and still think to some extent) that he isn't a very good footballer - "all" he does is score goals so my view was that if you take away those goals he wasn't contributing much. I know this is an argument about players like Lineker and maybe Cole which sounds daft but is valid to some degree (moreso for midfielders).

However I think on Sunday he did impress me more as a footballer which I'm happy to see. I also think the view that Tiote has made him better is spot on.

I said at the time Tiote covering every blade of grass helps Nolan. I think we've stumbled upon a better balance with the 4-4-2 and Barton on the right as well. Tbh I think he's a canny 'footballer' and that's not just because of Sunday. Obviously he's got a great eye for goal. My issue with him has always been his engine (or lack of it).

Tiote's ability gives Nolan the freedom to play off the front two.

I maintained all along that our primary issue the season we got relegated was the midfield. It was absolutely fucking dreadful. Conversely I think the midfield is the core of our ability this season and 3 first choice places are cemented for me - Tiote, Barton & Nolan. Ben Arfa showed plenty of promise for the other position and I guess time will tell if he does prevail.

Also think Enrique, Coloccini & Williamson have come of age in defence.

The massive issue these days is the squad. We've barely any depth should any of the first XI be taken out of contention and that surely has to be the club's priority come January.

Williamson will keep Steven Taylor out in my opinion and rightly so.

I think Taylor does a better job on the right then either perch or simpson to be honest (and he's quicker)

You can't drop Simpson after that performance.

Williamson will keep Steven Taylor out in my opinion and rightly so.

I think Taylor does a better job on the right then either perch or simpson to be honest (and he's quicker)

You can't drop Simpson after that performance.

His performances like that are a rarity to be honest though

There's no way Steven Taylor is quicker than Simpson or Perch imo. Anyway, I'd like to think (as I said at the time) that Simpson was carrying an injury for a while before his layoff because his form in the 2nd half of the season was poor compared to when he first arrived. And while I don't think he's great, I think he already looks like he's much better in terms of positioning than Perch. Steven Taylor is probably the best RB we have but I wouldn't be rushing him back into the team after Sunday. Especially as he quite possibly won't be here next season. I think he's a twat as well btw so I'm delighted he wasn't part of the side that won 5-1 otherwise we'd never hear the end of how proud he was etc., etc.

It's an Ashley specialty. He did it when Keegan came back, Bizarrely released a Shearer range, the Championship winning stuff - while tacky - is in my opinion justified.

Photo montages and mugs also available, ''Demolition derby'' written on them.