Newcastle United FC 5-1 5under1and AFC

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Before Sunday, my "objection" to Nolan was that I thought (and still think to some extent) that he isn't a very good footballer - "all" he does is score goals so my view was that if you take away those goals he wasn't contributing much. I know this is an argument about players like Lineker and maybe Cole which sounds daft but is valid to some degree (moreso for midfielders).

However I think on Sunday he did impress me more as a footballer which I'm happy to see. I also think the view that Tiote has made him better is spot on.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure he was many people's player of the year last year, me included? As for the year before, not a single player came out of that with any credit.

This year he has been superb imo. I think his absence against Wigan was quite noticeable.

Mine too. And I got slated off Stevie for it iirc :lol:

Hardly slated but Chris Holland could see that Enrique was our best player last season imo, Nolan was good though.

Before Sunday, my "objection" to Nolan was that I thought (and still think to some extent) that he isn't a very good footballer - "all" he does is score goals so my view was that if you take away those goals he wasn't contributing much. I know this is an argument about players like Lineker and maybe Cole which sounds daft but is valid to some degree (moreso for midfielders).

However I think on Sunday he did impress me more as a footballer which I'm happy to see. I also think the view that Tiote has made him better is spot on.

I said at the time Tiote covering every blade of grass helps Nolan. I think we've stumbled upon a better balance with the 4-4-2 and Barton on the right as well. Tbh I think he's a canny 'footballer' and that's not just because of Sunday. Obviously he's got a great eye for goal. My issue with him has always been his engine (or lack of it).

When an article came out last year saying Nolan was player of the championship i only remember me saying that the article was right, he was one of the most effective players in the most effective team, ergo the league. :lol:

He wasnt really the best in the league last season and his performance on Sunday was his best for the club so far, so am not sure if that supports a 'told you so' from me.

Sure he was many people's player of the year last year, me included? As for the year before, not a single player came out of that with any credit.

This year he has been superb imo. I think his absence against Wigan was quite noticeable.

Hardly slated but Chris Holland could see that Enrique was our best player last season imo, Nolan was good though.

I agreed he was the better player but I thought Nolan shaded it because of his greater contribution. I think you did slate me for it though :icon_lol:

He was all over the place on Sunday. He made a fantastic tackle on the touchline, showing some speed to catch up with play. He was really up for it.

When an article came out last year saying Nolan was player of the championship i only remember me saying that the article was right, he was one of the most effective players in the most effective team, ergo the league. :lol:

He wasnt really the best in the league last season and his performance on Sunday was his best for the club so far, so am not sure if that supports a 'told you so' from me.

Tbf, I said it was Adam Johnson so I am win.

He was all over the place on Sunday. He made a fantastic tackle on the touchline, showing some speed to catch up with play. He was really up for it.

Early yellow card was a blessing imo as he stayed on his feet most of the match after that.

I agreed he was the better player but I thought Nolan shaded it because of his greater contribution. I think you did slate me for it though :icon_lol:

You're like Rainman without the socio-handicaps you like. Where do you get that memory from? I was trying to remember Martins penalty miss against Arsenal someone mentioned before, and can I fuck remember it.

You did and there were others who said Dorrans, Adams and Enrique who were all better too.

It was a straw-clutcher but i feel no shame as i've never slagged him off.

You did and there were others who said Dorrans, Adams and Enrique who were all better too.

It was a straw-clutcher but i feel no shame as i've never slagged him off.

I know, sweetie :icon_lol:

You're like Rainman without the socio-handicaps you like. Where do you get that memory from? I was trying to remember Martins penalty miss against Arsenal someone mentioned before, and can I fuck remember it.

I'm normally sober when I'm on here :lol:

He's still shite :lol: it's just he's finally got a partner in the centre of the park that can cover his deficiencies, allowing him to concentrate on what he does best - getting into scoring positions. Tiote is making Nolan the player he is.

Not just Nolan tbf, our centre halves look better as a result too because they're defending opposition attacks that are actually being pressurised from our m/f. You can take 90% of 'proven' centre backs and they look utterly average as soon as they're playing behind a midfield that gives them no protection imho.

Tiote's game is an immense contribution to the team.

He's still shite :lol: it's just he's finally got a partner in the centre of the park that can cover his deficiencies, allowing him to concentrate on what he does best - getting into scoring positions. Tiote is making Nolan the player he is.

Not just Nolan tbf, our centre halves look better as a result too because they're defending opposition attacks that are actually being pressurised from our m/f. You can take 90% of 'proven' centre backs and they look utterly average as soon as they're playing behind a midfield that gives them no protection imho.

Absolutely. We had a good back 4 the year we went down but they were under immense pressure due to what was in front of them.

Good thing Stevie's never chatted shite on here, so has nothing to fear from anyone bumping old threads. :lol:

A good point and very well made.

The thing is I'm not a fence sitter so occasionally I will get things wrong, but spectacularly right often too, Sunday being a point in case.

:lol:

:rolleyes:

Scott gets his chomp.

Stevie, a cynic might suggest it's a good job you predicted the possibility of a Mackem win too btw. Fortunately I'm no cynic so I'll not bother pointing it out. :icon_lol:

In the Wist 'am match thread I pointed out how great it was having a DM who plays the ball forward and unlike Parker, Smith & Butt doesn't feel the need to constantly play the ball back to the defence and place them under more pressure.

The best thing for me, is watching him pirouette on the ball and then do something useful with it opposed to Parker's Dead or Alive impersonation.

After all the talk about Parker for England he looked crap in comparison to Tiote when we played West Ham. Apparently Noble is out for a month too after having his appendix out. They're right in the shite.

After all the talk about Parker for England he looked crap in comparison to Tiote when we played West Ham. Apparently Noble is out for a month too after having his appendix out. They're right in the shite.

Good, mouthy cockney non entity small club mugs. Championship is their level in every respect.

They honestly sing this song. Let em caam, let em caam, to Upton Park to Upton Park, for a raa, for a raa....

a mate of mine is a big west ham fan. he reckons they're dead certs to go down. gutless performances,crowd on their back, no fighting spirit if they go a goal down. sounds a bit like us in our relegation season. could be doomed

this lad is a legend best mascot i have ever seen quite funny to. :lol:

Watched the match back twice taped it on SKY and seen the MOTD thing.

Thought he was a cheeky little scrote who will be on an ASBO by the age of 13 myself. Reminded me of the Chelsea kid who took the piss out of Gerrard.

Edited by WDP