Tony Curtis

Sonatine

Hollywood legend Tony Curtis dies

Hollywood is in mourning after one of its biggest screen icons, Tony Curtis, has died aged 85.

His cause of death is as yet unknown - but a spokesperson for Jamie Lee Curtis (his daughter) confirmed his passing to website Entertainment Tonight.

Curtis made a name for himself as a sex symbol in a series of movies in the 50s, before winning critical acclaim in the biting drama 'The Sweet Smell of Success'. He was Oscar nominated for his role in Sidney Poitier's 'The Defiant Ones' in 1958.

Curtis appeared alongside Marilyn Monroe in Billy Wilder's classic comedy 'Some Like It Hot' - where Curtis played a jazz musician on the run. He famously described working with Monroe as "like kissing Hitler". Although he later insisted that the quote was a joke.

Other notable films include 'The Vikings' and 'Spartacus'.

He showed a different side to his talents playing a serial killer in 1968's 'The Boston Strangler'. While audiences and critics struggled initially to come to terms with the former matinée idol playing a killer, the film is now looked upon as one of Curtis' strongest film roles.

He led a colourful personal life - marrying six times.

When asked in 2008 what he would like to have written on his gravestone, Curtis quipped "Nobody's Perfect" - a reference to the famous closing line of 'Some Like It Hot'.

:wub:

"I wouldn't be caught dead marrying a woman old enough to be my wife."

"Yonda lies da cas'l of my fadda da caliph"

Legend.

R.I.P.

One of the Greats without a doubt.......................