Your christmas rituals.

Park Life

I've got more Christmas traditions then you can shake a stick at...

Christmas itself is pretty standard, out to the local with my mates on Christmas Eve, presents, food and TV on Christmas Day and my dad's pain in the arse relatives on Boxing Day.

Owing to my mum's family being from Serbia, we have several additions:

Slava is the day that Serbs celebrate their family's saint day. It isn't really anything to do with Christmas, but as ours is Sveti Nikola (Saint Nicholas) it falls on December 19th. For this we make a special cake, bless it with a small ceremony then have a big meal.

As my mum's sister and her family are usually in town for this we tend to combine it with exchanging presents with them and my granddad, which in the Serbian tradition involves being tied up with string until you present your gifts. This normally takes place on the three Sundays preceding Christmas but this would be a nightmare logistically.

As the Serbian church still follows the Julian calender, Christmas Eve is actually on the 6th of January. On this day we acquire an oak branch and gradually burn it in open fire. We then spread around hay on the floor of the house, and have a large dinner. Christmas day on the seventh my mum bakes a cake with a special gold coin in it, whoever gets it in their slice gets a wad of cash from my grandad.

I've been staggeringly fortunate with my holiday the last two years, being able to go home for Slava on the 19th, spend the rest of the week in Nottingham until Christmas, and having Christmas and Boxing Day off. And I've got it again this year!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christmas itself is pretty standard, out to the local with my mates on Christmas Eve, presents, food and TV on Christmas Day and my dad's pain in the arse relatives on Boxing Day.

Slava is the day that Serbs celebrate their family's saint day. It isn't really anything to do with Christmas, but as ours is Sveti Nikola (Saint Nicholas) it falls on December 19th. For this we make a special cake, bless it with a small ceremony then have a big meal.

As my mum's sister and her family are usually in town for this we tend to combine it with exchanging presents with them and my granddad, which in the Serbian tradition involves being tied up with string until you present your gifts. This normally takes place on the three Sundays preceding Christmas but this would be a nightmare logistically.

As the Serbian church still follows the Julian calender, Christmas Eve is actually on the 6th of January. On this day we acquire an oak branch and gradually burn it in open fire. We then spread around hay on the floor of the house, and have a large dinner. Christmas day on the seventh my mum bakes a cake with a special gold coin in it, whoever gets it in their slice gets a wad of cash from my grandad.

I've been staggeringly fortunate with my holiday the last two years, being able to go home for Slava on the 19th, spend the rest of the week in Nottingham until Christmas, and having Christmas and Boxing Day off. And I've got it again this year!

Are you on the windup here?

Blessing cakes, tying family members up with string and turning your house into a barn? :lol:

Special Brew and sprouts?

:lol:

Now there's a thing.

This board is already divided over the Standing/Sitting arse wiper debate - can we have a show of hands for the pro-sprout crew please?

Buttered with bacon… mmmmmm

Sprouts are borderline for me, if forced to I will eat them. Dash of lemon juice is the secret.

You forgot starting a small local war.

Edited by Park Life

As the Serbian church still follows the Julian calender, Christmas Eve is actually on the 6th of January. On this day we acquire an oak branch and gradually burn it in open fire. We then spread around straw on the floor of the house, and have a large dinner. Christmas day on the seventh my mum bakes a cake with a special gold coin in it, whoever gets it in their slice gets a wad of cash from my grandad.

Blessing cakes, tying family members up with string and turning your house into a barn? :lol:

Fucking loopy isn't it. :lol:

But it's true.

The best bit is when people come round after Badnjevece (Christmas Eve) and there's still straw everywhere and we pretend that nothing is out of the ordinary.

Although the 6th/7th January has been midweek for the last few years so I've not been back for it for a while.

Edited by luckyluke

Brilliant. He has me going for the first few sentences too. :lol:

Lovely stuff.

how fucking difficult to embed a youtube video ffs.

Sort your life out Samuel, you're a fucking disappointment

Lovely stuff.

I havent got a fucking clue how you embed youtube, my life's complicated enough thank you very much.

Lovely stuff.

I havent got a fucking clue how you embed youtube, my life's complicated enough thank you very much.

put "youtube" in square brackets and put the bit after the = sign

[ youtube ] lksdughl097j [ /youtube ]