Credit to Mike?

Happy Face

Lots of these articles in recent weeks.....

ASHLEY PLOUGHS MORE CASH INTO TOON

MIKE ASHLEY has personally had to plough nearly £50 million into Newcastle in the last 12 months to keep the club viable.

The club's perilous financial position meant that Ashley had to finance both the fees AND the new salaries to land five players during the transfer window.

That saw the Sports Direct owner underwrite around £13 million in deals that landed Cheick Tiote, Sol Campbell, Hatem Ben Arfa, James Perch and Dan Gosling.

Ashley believes it will take around five years to clear the debt that was created because of both relegation and the crippling debts he inherited when he bought the club back in 2007.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/foot...-INTO-TOON.html

5 year plan :lol:

Mike Ashley's approach has desired effect

IT looked as though it would become yet another public relations disaster for Mike Ashley, but the club statement which squeezed so much optimism and excitement out of promotion has actually worked in their favour.

There has been nothing spectacular about Newcastle’s transfer activity this summer, but it has been sensible and methodical and a lot better than expected.

Nobody expected Newcastle to do very much in the transfer window, so nobody was disappointed when they failed to spend heavily. The no capital outlay comment continues to baffle given transfer fees have been paid – The Journal understands all money spent has been Ashley’s rather than the club’s – but instead of moaning about the small sums of money, we are pleasantly surprised by the fact some has been parted with.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-27176373/

Does Mike Ashley finally deserve some credit?

This week brought the news that Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has injected a further £50m into the club. Two interest free loans, as well as sanctioning the transfers and wages for a quintet of summer signings, have been pumped in to boost the finances, and so it is time to forgive Ashley for the mistakes he has made since buying the club?

Despite saying that the club could not afford to bring in any players over the summer, Chris Hughton has brought in Sol Campbell, Dan Gosling, Hatem Ben Arfa, James Perch and Cheick Tiote. They have kept costs as low as possible, dealing in free transfers when possible, but the signing-on fees and outlay of wages, have been accounted for out of Ashley’s very own pockets.

As it stands, thanks to a successful season in The Championship and a swift return to the top flight (frankly, they proved pretty quickly that they were too good for that division), Ashley has won back some (minor) affections of a section of the Newcastle support. If the club stay up, which looks very probable, then they should be financially sound, especially if they stay close to their current transfer policy and wage structure – where any player on £19k per week or more has a relegation drop-in-pay clause. Ashley wants the best for the club, but the question is whether it is simply to make a return on his investment, or because he genuinely wants to take the club onto great things.

http://www.footballfancast.com/2010/09/foo...rve-some-credit

Do you go along with it or is it just more 'public relations' spin?

You first, dear.

I'm not someone who thinks that every single thing he has done or is doing is having a negative affect on the club.

He's done far more wrong than right but I don't believe his intentions are misleading us, more that him and his crew didn't know and to an extent don't know how to run a football club.

edit; and I get tired of the people moaning that he's only in it for the money - what money? Yes it's his fault for not reading the books pre-sale but at the end of the day he's hardly getting rich off us, in terms of his back balance it's more the opposite.

Edited by Tecato

I think he's learning.....or that Wendy whatserface has been worth her weight in gold on the PR front....

Wonder what her salary was for....."Derek! Mike! Shut the fuck up!"

Pity we've been fucked over for 3 years while he gets schooled.

The man's practically a saint on reading that :lol:

Love how it doesn't take into account the Sky money btw, i.e. the money lost by his getting us relegated (the buck stops with him tbh) and the extra cash for this season.

Drawing a line under all thats happened Im just glad Llambias and Ashley have mostly kept quiet and just let Hughton and the players get on with the job in hand, last season and this.

Regardless of Leazes and the like, Im glad that efforts are underway to get rid of the debt leaving us in a strong position going forward whether that be under Asdhley or another owner.

While no one gets any credit for this, the last 18 months or so probably opened everybodys eyes to the state the club was in particularly with regard to journeymen looking for massive paydays.

Does Ashley get credit? Not yet, but heading towards some.

Drawing a line under all thats happened Im just glad Llambias and Ashley have mostly kept quiet and just let Hughton and the players get on with the job in hand, last season and this.

Regardless of Leazes and the like, Im glad that efforts are underway to get rid of the debt leaving us in a strong position going forward whether that be under Asdhley or another owner.

While no one gets any credit for this, the last 18 months or so probably opened everybodys eyes to the state the club was in particularly with regard to journeymen looking for massive paydays.

You were saying he deserved credit even as we were relegated weren't you? :lol:

You were saying he deserved credit even as we were relegated weren't you? :nufc:

If you say so :cry:

Trying to avoid turning your new thread into an old battle ground for Skid and Leazes to take over tbh :lol:

We will never finish in the top 6 and qualify for europe under this man, because we will never bring the quality players in the numbers needed to do it.

He will sell our best players and/or cultivate a club whereby they want to move onto better clubs for their ambitions.

We will never finish in the top 6 and qualify for europe under this man, because we will never bring the quality players in the numbers needed to do it.

He will sell our best players and/or cultivate a club whereby they want to move onto better clubs for their ambitions.

Agreed

Very few clubs gradually improve year on year until they're European ever presents. Clubs like Villa and Everton and Fulham and Bolton that have fleetingly been up there on the back of sensible business and stable management always lose momentum because they refuse to spend what it takes to maintain that level of football when the squad are stretched to playing another 10 games a season.

Those that have took the gamble and enjoyed the ride, like us, Leeds (and Liverpool? fingers crossed) have suffered a terrible hangover once it fell apart.

I'll be impressed if Spurs manage the trick.

Edited by Happy Face

Agreed

Very few clubs gradually improve year on year until they're European ever presents. Clubs like Villa and Everton and Fulham and Bolton that have fleetingly been up there on the back of sensible business and stable management always lose momentum because they refuse to spend what it takes to maintain that level of football when the squad are stretched to playing another 10 games a season.

Those that have took the gamble and enjoyed the ride, like us, Leeds (and Liverpool? fingers crossed) have suffered a terrible hangover once it fell apart.

I'll be impressed if Spurs manage the trick.

I wouldn't say Villa's spending while O'Neill was in charge was 'sensible business.'

I know you're going to mention the profit on Milner though. :lol:

I think most sensible people realise that top 4 is pretty unattainable these days without an Arab or horrific debt. 5th 6th or 7th however is realistic for most clubs.

Any hidden faith I had for Ashley evaporated with that statement last April, however given the background of that statement I am pleased and some of the incomings during the summer.

I also think some of the passing attacking football we have been playing so far this season has been of an excellent standard and Blackpool and going on the first half against Stoke, should have been wins. That would have left us 2nd in the league, 2 points behind Chelsea.

We would all be sitting here like mini Abbadaccas.

Another few additions and I think, given our style of play, we will have a team that is very capable of aiming for Europe.

I dont think he sits there obsessing over a masterplan of signing lower division bargains and selling them on at £5 million profit a pop 12 months down the line. Having said that I concede that's invariably the resulting outcome when a club lacks ambition and thats what we need to be desperately wary of.

My instincts say he'd always have continued to spend big money (he started off by doing that) if he thought he could recoup it all and probably more besides down the tracks. Because theres no credit out there anymore though (the whole machinery is fucked save only for the few clubs run by Russian/Saudi minerals billionaires) that's not going to happen anytime soon. He was never here first and foremost to make money but he clearly had no idea just how much you could personally lose if you fucked things up. The latter part of that sentence is currently his sole and guideing principle iyam.

slow news day?

the fat fuck knew he would've had to stick money into the club when he bought it, if he didn't he'd be fucked, yet the tabloids praise him. what a cunt, fat bastard.

I have to confess that when they cut to him in the crowd on Sky, my first thought was "die, cunt".

This.

He'll never get any credit from me. Well, if we did a Premier League / FA Cup / Champions League treble I might give a begrudging grunt of thanks. But until then, fuck him.

quite frankly happy face, im disgusted at you for saying such a thing.

What did I say Kev? Last thing I'd want to do is hurt you.

you didn't hurt me happy face... you hurt yourself.

quite frankly happy face, im disgusted at you for saying such a thing.

What did I say Kev? Last thing I'd want to do is hurt you.

you didn't hurt me happy face... you hurt yourself.

I don't think I did. I've never given Mike any credit.