Segway'd to death...

shackbleep

Segway boss Jimi Heselden dies in scooter cliff fall

The millionaire owner of the UK Segway company has died after apparently riding one of his company's motorised scooters off cliffs and into a river.

Jimi Heselden, 62, crashed into the River Wharfe while riding the vehicle round his estate in Thorp Arch, Boston Spa, West Yorkshire, on Sunday.

He was pronounced dead at the scene. The scooter was found in the water.

Mr Heselden, who founded Leeds-based company Hesco Bastion, acquired the Segway operation in 2010.

A spokeswoman for West Yorkshire Police confirmed Mr Heselden's identity.

She said: "Police were called at 1140 yesterday to reports of a man in the River Wharfe, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above."

She said a "Segway type" vehicle had been recovered.

Mr Heselden had worked as a miner before losing his job in a wave of redundancies in the 1980s.

His engineering business went from strength-to-strength and he was estimated to be worth £205m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-11416654

I'm not laughing but I can't help seeing the irony in this.... Wasn't this the scooter thing that Hammond was racing around the Top Gear studio last series?

Segway boss Jimi Heselden dies in scooter cliff fall

The millionaire owner of the UK Segway company has died after apparently riding one of his company's motorised scooters off cliffs and into a river.

Jimi Heselden, 62, crashed into the River Wharfe while riding the vehicle round his estate in Thorp Arch, Boston Spa, West Yorkshire, on Sunday.

He was pronounced dead at the scene. The scooter was found in the water.

Mr Heselden, who founded Leeds-based company Hesco Bastion, acquired the Segway operation in 2010.

A spokeswoman for West Yorkshire Police confirmed Mr Heselden's identity.

She said: "Police were called at 1140 yesterday to reports of a man in the River Wharfe, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above."

She said a "Segway type" vehicle had been recovered.

Mr Heselden had worked as a miner before losing his job in a wave of redundancies in the 1980s.

His engineering business went from strength-to-strength and he was estimated to be worth £205m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-11416654

I'm not laughing but I can't help seeing the irony in this.... Wasn't this the scooter thing that Hammond was racing around the Top Gear studio last series?

Sorry, but I am :lol:

only used one once and I thought it was great fun - and you bring a smile on the faces of the onlookers who think "there goes a real twerp"

You don't need a Segway to induce that.

was hoping for something just a leetle more amusing TBH

only used one once and I thought it was great fun - and you bring a smile on the faces of the onlookers who think "there goes a real twerp"

Why waste a useful characteristic such as humour on you?

Why waste a useful characteristic such as humour on you?

They asked "why waste a condom?" on you, bet you they're regretting that now. Let the man hear the humour :wub: