Flintoff

shackbleep

Andrew Flintoff calls time on cricket career

Andrew Flintoff has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket "with disappointment and sadness".

The injury-plagued all-rounder, 32, revealed the decision came after consultation with medical advisers.

He said: "Having been told my body would no longer stand up to the rigours of cricket, I had no alternative."

Lancashire star Flintoff played a key role in England's Ashes successes of 2005 and 2009 but had been dogged by knee problems in recent years.

He added in a statement: "I was told the problems I have been trying to overcome in rehab for the last year, following the latest of a series of operations, would not recover sufficiently to allow a comeback.

"I would like to thank my family, Lancashire, England, all my sponsors, friends and advisers for all the help and support they have given me throughout my career.

"Last, but by no means least, I am indebted to the encouragement and support I have always received from England's magnificent supporters.

"I will now be taking a break before deciding which future direction to take."

Flintoff retired from Test cricket at the end of the 2009 Ashes series, having another knee operation two days later, while turning down the offer of a new central contract from the England and Wales Cricket Board.

However, he repeatedly expressed his desire "to be the best one-day player in the world" and underlined his continued commitment to his country for limited-overs matches.

Flintoff signed a new three-year contract with Lancashire in November 2009 while undergoing injury rehabilitation in Dubai but was forced to call off a planned comeback for the county's 2nd XI this summer.

Although he was named in Indian Premier League side Chennai Super Kings' provisional squad for the Champions League Twenty20, and his agent Andrew Chandler revealed that Flintoff was close to signing a deal to play domestic Twenty20 cricket for Queensland, fears grew that he might never represent England again.

In 79 Tests, he scored 3,845 runs at an average of 31.77, with five centuries - and although he captured 226 wickets at 32.78, he only took five wickets in an innings on three occasions.

Born in Preston, Flintoff made his reputation in schoolboy cricket as a hard-hitting right-hander and right-arm fast bowler and he made his Test debut against South Africa in July 1998 at the age of 20.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/9005165.stm

Very sad, if not unexpected, news but I think it's bad crack announcing it on the afternoon which is also the climax of the County Championship as he'll have known what a big story it would be.

his international career stats aren't that impressive but he played a massive part in the english cricket revival in recent years. even though he could have taken more wickets, he had the knack of taking important wickets at the right time - when other bowlers were struggling, he'd come steaming in and get the break through. and even though his batting average isn't the best, he made several memorable and entertaining quick fire fifties and hundreds. plus he gave us a depth in batting that we don't get if we play 5 bowlers these days. for all broad's promise and swann's willingness to sling his willow, neither have stepped up to replacing flintoff.

he was the first genuine top class english all rounder since botham. those sorts of players don't grow on trees. he always gave the crowd a lift when he'd come on for a spell too.

He'll be playing Twenty20 in the IPL or Champions league in a year

I think he must honestly think it's the end to come out and say it. And re: what I said before, to give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he wanted to beat the papers to the punch.

unfortunately my lasting memory of him was from the ashes, when after getting a wicket he went down on one knee with his arms out wide, begging for adulation.

Great player, but his ego went into orbit at times.

Always likened to Botham, but didn’t get close.

Don't think his lifestyle did his career any favours tbf :unsure:

You may well have heard the same stories about him that I have.

He'll go down as a great because of his performances in the Ashes victories of '05 and '09.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

unfortunately my lasting memory of him was from the ashes, when after getting a wicket he went down on one knee with his arms out wide, begging for adulation.

god forbid a cricketer play to the crowd

that fucking shearer, everytime he got a goal he'd run off with his arm up as if hed done something good

god forbid a cricketer play to the crowd

that fucking shearer, everytime he got a goal he'd run off with his arm up as if hed done something good

Aye, as a criticism, comments about his ego or showmanship are a bit weak. Rather that than some boring twat.

If his ego was big, he justified it imo. Unless you're the sort who likes to sit there with your scoring book and Wisden almanac to hand, the game needs characters like Freddy. He lifted the team and shitted up the opposition too. Sadly injuries held him back and he underachieved (if you've ever seen his delivery stride you can see why he's a knacker). Ashes 2005 was his zenith and I'll never forget his bloodshot eyes after a night of partying, I still wince at the memory......plus the pedalo incident was fuck up genius....!