Defence Cuts

Rob W

I have to admt that I dont understand why we need to spend hundreds of billions on defence these days.

For what reason do we need aircraft carriers and nuclear subs? The only reason they ever get used is to police and protect other countries, why? are we the worlds coppers? What makes us so special that we have to look after the rest of the world. Frankly, we're a little island on the edge of Europe, nobody is going to invade us, if they did the Yanks would step in.

I believe we could cut the armed forces down by 75%, give a further 25% in money and manpower to an International defence force and be 50% better off.

I have to admt that I dont understand why we need to spend hundreds of billions on defence these days.

For what reason do we need aircraft carriers and nuclear subs? The only reason they ever get used is to police and protect other countries, why? are we the worlds coppers? What makes us so special that we have to look after the rest of the world. Frankly, we're a little island on the edge of Europe, nobody is going to invade us, if they did the Yanks would step in.

I believe we could cut the armed forces down by 75%, give a further 25% in money and manpower to an International defence force and be 50% better off.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...t-carriers.html

And I need to keep my job too ;) ....all will become clear on 20th October when the strategic defence reveiw is published. But my graft at the BAE shipyard in Portsmouth is pretty small beer really................ there are lads putting their lives on the line in Afghanistan as we speak who will be out of a job this time next year...like cheers then George, thats the thanks these poor fuckers are going to get because you have to prove a point to us frightful plebs about government spending and not to trust those New Labour types ever again, lest they try to build new hospitals and schools etc etc....and why we're at it why the fuck is there a need for "Help for Heroes" concerts to raise millions for the returning wounded when there is an estimated 40 billion quid "tax gap" between whats in the exchequer and what should be in there, mostly due to tax the tax evasion of the top 5% of earners in the U.K.?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbys...t-carriers.html

And I need to keep my job too ;) ....all will become clear on 20th October when the strategic defence reveiw is published. But my graft at the BAE shipyard in Portsmouth is pretty small beer really................ there are lads putting their lives on the line in Afghanistan as we speak who will be out of a job this time next year...like cheers then George, thats the thanks these poor fuckers are going to get because you have to prove a point to us frightful plebs about government spending and not to trust those New Labour types ever again, lest they try to build new hospitals and schools etc etc....and why we're at it why the fuck is there a need for "Help for Heroes" concerts to raise millions for the returning wounded when there is an estimated 40 billion quid "tax gap" between whats in the exchequer and what should be in there, mostly due to tax the tax evasion of the top 5% of earners in the U.K.?

:icon_lol:

who all, surprise surprise, are probably Tories

Edited by LeazesMag

Exactamundo

Exactamundo

The tories have traditionally been big on defence tho haven't they CT? Polaris, Trident etc.

Exactamundo

The tories have traditionally been big on defence tho haven't they CT? Polaris, Trident etc.

I dont really think its a political point, more a common sense point. PP sums it up very well.

The sooner the UK stops acting like its still a world superpower the better imo. The main thing that's preventing massive defence cuts as a matter of simple common sense are the sheer number of ex-officers in influential establishment positions who can't bear to see the old regiments etc disbanded and budgets slashed. Plus the need to back up the Americans every time they start a pointless foreign war.

However it would require massive investment to rebalance the economy away from relying on defence spending for jobs and growth. I don't think any of the numpties at the treasury are capable of this, judging by what happened with the coal mining, shipbuilding and steel industries in the 1980s.

The sooner the UK stops acting like its still a world superpower the better imo.

this.

as to the op, i'd make cuts in the RAF and also in the navy but to a lesser extent. I'd keep the army to a similar level in numbers but would re-introduce conscription to keep parity in numbers (to the current level). not everyones idea of an ideal solution perhaps but it would take people off the dole if nothing else.

Everyone is getting worked up about defence cuts

waht would you take out?

at least half the middle east

Expensive date that.

Doubt it, they grow them over there.

I was trying to shoe-horn that in somehow as well :unsure:

The sooner the UK stops acting like its still a world superpower the better imo.

this.

as to the op, i'd make cuts in the RAF and also in the navy but to a lesser extent. I'd keep the army to a similar level in numbers but would re-introduce conscription to keep parity in numbers (to the current level). not everyones idea of an ideal solution perhaps but it would take people off the dole if nothing else.

the Army HATED consription - they spent all their time training people who didn't want to be in

what amazes me is that we have 83000 Civil Servants and 100,00 people in the Army but we have to scrape like hell to get 10,000 men into Afghanistan