Religion

Christmas Tree

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joking apart I think you're only here once so it's whatever works for you really, with all the obvious caveats that go along with that.

Essentially thats it down a T.

Who am I to question your existence and what you believe when you are here for a pissy short length of time? So long as it doesn't effect me, you do what you must to make the most of what you have.

To me being a Catholic is a bit like being a Newcastle United supporter. I don't know any different and it's just what I am. Sometimes I'm ashamed, horrified and embarrassed by it, sometimes I get comfort, joy and hope from it. I choose how closely I follow it and take the bits from it that I want to.

To each their own.

That's pretty much how I feel.

Faith is a difficult thing to explain to those who don't have any, it's just a personal thing that it appears you either have or don't. I know that's a bit of a cop out but that's how it is.

I'm along those lines. Ish. Yes I'm intelligent enough to know whether a God (for any religion) could exist. Thing is, any God can only be explained as much as human understanding. Much like the universe and the way it works. Scientists are constantly making things up, making rules up so that their maths work. Take Anti-Matter and Dark-Matter. Nothing more than made up rules to explain why their maths didnt work. Thing is, if I take what I would call common sense, I would say that ghosts dont exists, no God exists, Aliens from another world do exist, fortune tellers are all scams as are those who do stars etc. As it happens, much of that is what I believe anyway. But what I do know is that when I've been at my lowest point, whatever the faith is that I have has kept me going with at times a surprising outcome.

I was christened a Catholic but my views dont really fit that pigeon hole. I generally keep any belief I have to myself and find it a personal thing. I am amazed by nature almost daily, as much as Im disgusted by the human race. Perhaps everything did just happen by coincidence. I dont buy the church's version of events and Im pretty unsure about the latest science version (they call it fact, but its only fact until their next version). Maybe there is only us and no life elsewhere and maybe mice will take over the world.

Bottom line for me is religion is good on an individual level. I dont understand why because someone doesnt agree, it has to be a problem? Its only a problem in my eyes if it negatively effects another.

Your criticisms of science here aren't valid though. The subject has been done to death so I'm surprised we're still hearing these false arguments. Regarding the dark matter debate, this is simply a working hypothesis to account for unexplained empirical evidence. It's not some kind of unchallangeable dogma like religion is. When there is a better theory that fits the known evidence this will supercede the dark matter theory, or help confirm it. Billions of pounds have been invested in CERN to further our knowledge regarding this, rather than relying on old, dodgy book for all our answers.

The answer to one question I'd like to hear from the various catholics, muslims, Jedis etc on here is why you are convinced that your own particular brand of religion is correct when usually your belief is purely a matter of chance depending on where you were born? How do you reconcile this with your Faith? I've never heard a remotely satisfactory answer to this.

I asked that very question (more or less) in RE when I was about 8. Wasn't try to be a clever dick, I was genuinely curious. Tbf, the head (who took us for RE in First School) was spot on and just said he didn't know rather than telling me off or preaching some patter. When you got to High School the lessons seemed to be the domain of the religious nutters off the teaching staff.

I don't believe in God but my wife does. I quite enjoy a bit of ceremony now and then, say twice a year including xmas. She deosn't try to "convert me" and I don't try to argue her out of it. I don't see the need to try to tear down other people's faith anyway, I quite envy them their peace of mind actually.

It seems to me most of the problems of religion come from the institutions that administer them, which are motivated more by Mammon than God anyway. Although some things defy all reason, like the Catholic church's absurd policy on celibacy for priests.

I don't believe in God but my wife does. I quite enjoy a bit of ceremony now and then, say twice a year including xmas. She deosn't try to "convert me" and I don't try to argue her out of it. I don't see the need to try to tear down other people's faith anyway, I quite envy them their peace of mind actually.

It seems to me most of the problems of religion come from the institutions that administer them, which are motivated more by Mammon than God anyway. Although some things defy all reason, like the Catholic church's absurd policy on paedophilia for priests.

;)

The answer to one question I'd like to hear from the various catholics, muslims, Jedis etc on here is why you are convinced that your own particular brand of religion is correct when usually your belief is purely a matter of chance depending on where you were born? How do you reconcile this with your Faith? I've never heard a remotely satisfactory answer to this.

God's chosen people, obviously. I think the Mormons actually have a register of people who will be admitted to heaven....if you ain't on the register, forget paradise.

It seems to me most of the problems of religion come from the institutions that administer them, which are motivated more by Mammon than God anyway. Although some things defy all reason, like the Catholic church's absurd policy on paedophilia for priests.

:icon_lol:

Yeah that as well ;)

It was no surprise to me that Pope Benedict tried to cover it all up, the shameful old Nazi.

To me being a Catholic is a bit like being a Newcastle United supporter. I don't know any different and it's just what I am. Sometimes I'm ashamed, horrified and embarrassed by it, sometimes I get comfort, joy and hope from it. I choose how closely I follow it and take the bits from it that I want to.

To each their own.

Faith is a difficult thing to explain to those who don't have any, it's just a personal thing that it appears you either have or don't. I know that's a bit of a cop out but that's how it is.

I'm along those lines. Ish. Yes I'm intelligent enough to know whether a God (for any religion) could exist. Thing is, any God can only be explained as much as human understanding. Much like the universe and the way it works. Scientists are constantly making things up, making rules up so that their maths work. Take Anti-Matter and Dark-Matter. Nothing more than made up rules to explain why their maths didnt work. Thing is, if I take what I would call common sense, I would say that ghosts dont exists, no God exists, Aliens from another world do exist, fortune tellers are all scams as are those who do stars etc. As it happens, much of that is what I believe anyway. But what I do know is that when I've been at my lowest point, whatever the faith is that I have has kept me going with at times a surprising outcome.

I was christened a Catholic but my views dont really fit that pigeon hole. I generally keep any belief I have to myself and find it a personal thing. I am amazed by nature almost daily, as much as Im disgusted by the human race. Perhaps everything did just happen by coincidence. I dont buy the church's version of events and Im pretty unsure about the latest science version (they call it fact, but its only fact until their next version). Maybe there is only us and no life elsewhere and maybe mice will take over the world.

Bottom line for me is religion is good on an individual level. I dont understand why because someone doesnt agree, it has to be a problem? Its only a problem in my eyes if it negatively effects another.

Your criticisms of science here aren't valid though. The subject has been done to death so I'm surprised we're still hearing these false arguments. Regarding the dark matter debate, this is simply a working hypothesis to account for unexplained empirical evidence. It's not some kind of unchallangeable dogma like religion is. When there is a better theory that fits the known evidence this will supercede the dark matter theory, or help confirm it. Billions of pounds have been invested in CERN to further our knowledge regarding this, rather than relying on old, dodgy book for all our answers.

Ah its been done to death so I'm not allowed to have my own opinion if it differs? ;)

I'm not saying science is right or wrong only that I cant take everything they say as 100% correct when they dont know themselves. Also no, I dont believe the bible is correct either. Much of it will be exaggeration, misinterpretation and basic lies.

As to your question. First, someone cant believe someone elses religion is correct when they have little or no knowledge of it. I see your point, but I differ somewhat in that I dont like to be pigeon holed. I have my own personal belief which I have to say stems more from what I feel than anything ever taught. I could sit and argue with a Catholic such are the things in that I dont believe, Half the time I cant even say what my views are as I havent thought out every possible scenario. In one way though, I think many religion actually worship the same God with different teachings of it. Again, I dont see the problem in that?

It seems to me most of the problems of religion come from the institutions that administer them, which are motivated more by Mammon than God anyway. Although some things defy all reason, like the Catholic church's absurd policy on celibacy for priests.

Completely agree with you. I cant stand some things about the church. Through history they have modified their teachings to their benefit. Some stances the Catholic church have are absurd (using protection during sex for one). Anyone who knows a tiny bit about history knows how corrupt the church has been over the ages. If there was a God, the church would likely be one of the first for him to strike down ;)

To each their own.

Ah its been done to death so I'm not allowed to have my own opinion if it differs? ;)

I'm not saying science is right or wrong only that I cant take everything they say as 100% correct when they dont know themselves. Also no, I dont believe the bible is correct either. Much of it will be exaggeration, misinterpretation and basic lies.

As to your question. First, someone cant believe someone elses religion is correct when they have little or no knowledge of it. I see your point, but I differ somewhat in that I dont like to be pigeon holed. I have my own personal belief which I have to say stems more from what I feel than anything ever taught. I could sit and argue with a Catholic such are the things in that I dont believe, Half the time I cant even say what my views are as I havent thought out every possible scenario. In one way though, I think many religion actually worship the same God with different teachings of it. Again, I dont see the problem in that?

But the point is 'science' doesn't claim to be 100% correct, which was implied by your first post. In fact the more I understand it, it is all about quantifying degrees of probability - taken literally science offers no certainty at all. This is in contrast with many religions which claim to be infallible.

You're last comment seems to suggest that you are veering to a general theistic viewpoint rather than a specific dogma. I have no problem with this, obviously, but from a personal point of view I find it intellectually facile.

As I've said on here before, to me, religion is essentially a vessel with which to channel and practice your faith. Religion and faith are two very different things, essentially religion is man made and all religions are certainly flawed in one way or another. I don't agree with everything the Catholic church says, nor should any rational being, I haven't really put any effort into finding a better fit for my beliefs but then again, religion isn't that important to me.

Completely agree with you. I cant stand some things about the church. Through history they have modified their teachings to their benefit. Some stances the Catholic church have are absurd (using protection during sex for one). Anyone who knows a tiny bit about history knows how corrupt the church has been over the ages. If there was a God, the church would likely be one of the first for him to strike down ;)

Yes. You can understand Martin Luther's viewpoint if you've ever stood in St Peter's or the Vatican and reflected on the sheer amount of money collected from the poor to pay for it. Not that the Church is alone in that of course....

As I've said on here before, to me, religion is essentially a vessel with which to channel and practice your faith. Religion and faith are two very different things, essentially religion is man made and all religions are certainly flawed in one way or another. I don't agree with everything the Catholic church says, nor should any rational being, I haven't really put any effort into finding a better fit for my beliefs but then again, religion isn't that important to me.

I'm struggling to understand what you have faith in here.

And I would struggle to write it down tbh. Faith in God, faith in an afterlife, faith in the occasional example of divine intervention. As I said earlier in this thread, it's difficult to explain.

To each their own.

But the point is 'science' doesn't claim to be 100% correct, which was implied by your first post. In fact the more I understand it, it is all about quantifying degrees of probability - taken literally science offers no certainty at all. This is in contrast with many religions which claim to be infallible.

You're last comment seems to suggest that you are veering to a general theistic viewpoint rather than a specific dogma. I have no problem with this, obviously, but from a personal point of view I find it intellectually facile.

Before you can believe in God, you need to know what God is. I dont.

Regarding your first comment, I agree with you that science isnt 100% correct but also that I dont think any religion is 100% correct. Even I can't understand how anyone could think the world was created when some think it was. But, I wont question someones belief in that.

And I would struggle to write it down tbh. Faith in God, faith in an afterlife, faith in the occasional example of divine intervention. As I said earlier in this thread, it's difficult to explain.

I think I'm probably coming from a similar angle as you. No, I cant really explain it either.

I had a massive post prepared here, but what's the point? This is an essentially unwinnable one. Those who think religion is bunk and God doesn't exist will never accept any argument to the contrary and vice versa. I'll just give you one quote, which is one of my all-time favourites: "...then unto Me you shall return, and I will tell you the truth about that which you differed in." (3:55) In other words, don't bother differing over this topic while you're alive, because you're going to know the truth one way or the other when you die.

I think religion is useful to give people a moral code and to imbue them with certain values that are important to society. That doesn't mean that those things can't be done without involving an omnipotent creator of the world, but I'd say there's a reason that religion has endured for, in some cases, thousands of years and is still going strong in many parts of the world, and that is that it's easier and works better when you use God.

I think I'm probably coming from a similar angle as you. No, I cant really explain it either.

Fuck that, I want this sorted out before 5 o'clock.

To each their own.

Before you can believe in God, you need to know what God is. I dont.

Regarding your first comment, I agree with you that science isnt 100% correct but also that I dont think any religion is 100% correct. Even I can't understand how anyone could think the world was created when some think it was. But, I wont question someones belief in that.

I think the last point is fair enough as long as people's belief's don't harm other people, but there's always a danger of this with extreme, fundamental belief. That's one of the most negative aspects of religion for me - if a person is absolutely, positively, convinced there is an eternal afterlife, then it's not surprising this life has so little value to them. Personally I can see no reason at all to believe in an after life other than wishful thinking, the existence of a soul seperate from the mind poses all sorts of scientific and philosophical problems for me.

Fuck that, I want this sorted out before 5 o'clock.

;)

Ok, the answer is 42