Nolan

Park Life

I don't see how at Newcastle, it's seen as fixed formation. How come Man Utd can use a rotation system, without any hassle? If that pleb Nolan can't get dropped, it has to fall on Hughton.. Everyone should know their place. Even feckin Scholes knows when he's beat. If they keep rotating, no one will say a thing if they get their game here & there. Only players that should be kept in game to game are the box to box players in the middle of the pitch. And that's only Barton. Smith can park it..

Man U can use a rotation system because they have the quality within the squad to be able to change players weekly. We don't, it's not a matter of rotating our team, just getting the best 11 out there.

I don't see how at Newcastle, it's seen as fixed formation. How come Man Utd can use a rotation system, without any hassle? If that pleb Nolan can't get dropped, it has to fall on Hughton.. Everyone should know their place. Even feckin Scholes knows when he's beat. If they keep rotating, no one will say a thing if they get their game here & there. Only players that should be kept in game to game are the box to box players in the middle of the pitch. And that's only Barton. Smith can park it..

:D perhaps because theyre man u and have a squad built to play in 4 competitions all the way through the season

we dont

And since when has Smith become a successful Defensive Midfielder.. Its not even his natural position.

What is?

his favoured position was second striker. fucking shit at that though.

His transformation to defensive midfielder stinks of "I wasn't even trying to score goals!" once he realised he's lost it.

hughton has done himself no favours by making him captain.

he's got a real test of his managerial credibility now. does he have the balls to drop teo of smith, barton and nolan to let the two new lads in for the next game?

i can see him dropping one of the wingers instead.

Agreed and I wouldn't be surprised if it was routledge - if he drops a midfielder it will be Smith and then we can all enjoy the amazing disappearing act that is Nolan trying to play centrally - The changes he made on saturday were very worrying -I can understand that he wanted the Krandts on for his pace to try to turn their back four but surely you go like for like and remove Nolan-then change smith for Tiote a bit later on - Personally I would have put ben arfa on and not lovenkrandts - when it comes down to it these decisions will cost him his job not the players

We have the problem of the legacy of a "good" season - he seems to think Nolan and Smith are somehow now proven. Maybe Nolan scoring against Villa was an adverse favour as well.

this is true of Nolan anyway, his goals were vital and all that though he didnt do much else but the thing is Smith wasn't even much use in what was a very poor championship for most of the season.

Edited by TicTacWoe

It's really a tragedy the way we've signed some of the most overrated cloggers ever in our recent history and paid them extortionate wages by any measure.

More past it or perma-crocked than overrated I'd say, in their day Smith, Nolan, Duff, Geremi, Owen etc ect were somewhere between half decent and excellent but we stupidly bought them up based on their past histories rather than current form/ability/fitness.

It's really a tragedy the way we've signed some of the most overrated cloggers ever in our recent history and paid them extortionate wages by any measure.

More past it or perma-crocked than overrated I'd say, in their day Smith, Nolan, Duff, Geremi, Owen etc ect were somewhere between half decent and excellent but we stupidly bought them up based on their past histories rather than current form/ability/fitness.

All Fat Sam bar Duff iirc.

He persisted with Nolan for a very long time last season, and he eventually started scoring goals again after a horrible patch through the middle of the season. You would hope that he doesn't keep the same line of thinking, given the vastly superior opposition we're now up against, but his track record is very worrying.

If he is played in that position where he gets to do fuck all and just pop up occasionally at the end of a flick on or similar then he will score some goals and get an odd assist even at this level, but the negative impact he has on the team will far outweigh any positives. There will be times and places for him this season, but playing as some sort of lazy shadow striker isn't going to be one of them in my opinion. If we're going to play two up front them we need someone pacy alongside Carroll, someone who will make the run off the ball to give an extra dimension to our attack. Routledge is capable of sliding a through ball in front of someone like Lovenkrands as he showed on several occassions last season, I would think that Barton too would be capable of similar and so would Ben Arfa.

Edited by OzToonFan

All Fat Sam bar Duff iirc.

And Nolan and Owen ;)

Annoying how he has several 'articles' on .co.uk after the loss telling people not to be worried. ;)

Frankly speaking, I am very worried. if he could be dropped and jello b'arfa was played ( in the hole or wide left) with a second forward ( such as lovenkrands who's our most mobile forward (but not winger) playing off of Carroll then we'd probably be better off. drop routledge for guttierez down the right and we suddenly look a better prospect. In my opinion.