If you were going to burn a book, what would it be

LeazesMag

I dispute that charity is good because what if the red cross started selling crack to kids, then would charity be good? [/fish]

Don't quite get the Reducing an argument ad absurdum, do you? :D

The point is to take your argument (popular=good) and following its implications logically to an absurd consequence. (Nazis were popular = Nazis were good)

My point is not "anything popular= bad", it's simply that b doesn't always follow a.

post hoc ergo propter hoc :icon_lol:

But the Nazis were considered good to the people who they were popular with. Christ on a bike

Ok, I've spelled it out and you. still. don't. get. it. :lol:

No, you don't get it. You're trying to generalise the word good. Good is an opinion. If something is popular, the people that it is popular with think it's good. Simple as that. Desperate pedantic wanker.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dispute that charity is good because what if the red cross started selling crack to kids, then would charity be good? [/fish]

The point is to take your argument (popular=good) and following its implications logically to an absurd consequence. (Nazis were popular = Nazis were good)

My point is not "anything popular= bad", it's simply that b doesn't always follow a.

post hoc ergo propter hoc ;)

But the Nazis were considered good to the people who they were popular with. Christ on a bike

No, you don't get it. You're trying to generalise the word good. Good is an opinion. If something is popular, the people that it is popular with think it's good. Simple as that. Desperate pedantic wanker.

:icon_lol: you're stubborn as Hell, and while occasionally that's admirable, with you it's just a bit sad.

I'm not "generalising the word good", I'm using it properly.

post hoc ergo propter hoc ;)

:icon_lol: you're stubborn as Hell, and while occasionally that's admirable, with you it's just a bit sad.

I'm not "generalising the word good", I'm using it properly.

You're calling me a bit sad? ;)

No, I'm saying your stubbornness is a bit sad.

Honestly, are you entirely incapable of understanding English?

Coming from somebody who can't accept that 'good' is an opinion ?

Calling anything a bit sad in your shoes must take some balls :lol:

:lol:

ok, so your stance is either, "All things that are popular are good" or that we think "Nothing popular is good" and neither of those statements are true.

So what's popular that isn't good?

any form of [c]rap music ?

haha. Get up this morning and see this thread. The things thompers gets up to when I'm not there to keep an eye on him.

:D

Thompers argument is "If it is Popular, it is Good" and that is simply not true.

If it's popular with somebody, then said person obviously thinks it's good. You're yet to provide an actual example btw.

Your argument clearly stems from not being able to accept that other people have an opinion on something that you believe to be 'not good', a typical internet-forum arrogance. You just have to look at the 'what are you listening to' thread to realise that most people on here think they're a cut above anything mainstream. In fact, without even reading it I could be pretty sure that there'll be people getting mocked in the thread for daring to listen to something mainstream.

cunt (kŭnt)

noun

Vulgar Slang

1. Thompers

2. The female genital organs.

3. Sexual intercourse with a woman.

a. Offensive Used as a disparaging term for a woman.

b. Used as a disparaging term for a person one dislikes or finds extremely disagreeable.

Top post :lol:

People who enjoy mainstream pop music such as Robbie Williams and Britney Spears are generally musically illiterate; they display little to no interest in music outside of their occasional listening to whatever is being promoted at that time. If they heard something which sounded dissonant to them (practically anything outside of the heavily promoted popstars they consume) they would have a negative reaction. They would claim that Britney Spears is better than Miles Davis, for instance.

Why should their opinion on music count? And why are you so defensive? Have you got a few Kid Rock cds hiding around somewhere? He's a guy who rhymes 'things' with 'things'. What a talent.

People who enjoy mainstream pop music such as Robbie Williams and Britney Spears are generally musically illiterate; they display little to no interest in music outside of their occasional listening to whatever is being promoted at that time. If they heard something which sounded dissonant to them (practically anything outside of the heavily promoted popstars they consume) they would have a negative reaction. They would claim that Britney Spears is better than Miles Davis, for instance.

Why should their opinion on music count? And why are you so defensive? Have you got a few Kid Rock cds hiding around somewhere? He's a guy who rhymes 'things' with 'things'. What a talent.

What an arrogant tosser? :lol: Perhaps they like Robbie Williams because they fucking enjoy his music. Jesus Christ. Perhaps they have no reason to explore less mainstream music because they like the promoted music. Perhaps the promoted music is promoted heavily because it is good, and appeals to a wider audience from the lesser known artists. You don't have a fucking superior music taste to the general public you utter cretin, it's just different. What a fucking arrogant tosser.

"You don't have a fucking superior music taste to the general public you utter cretin, it's just different."

Yes I do. I am musically literate and have significant musical talent: this puts me in a better and more qualified position to judge music than people who share your musical tastes, ie 12 year old girls.

"Perhaps the promoted music is promoted heavily because it is good"

It's heavily promoted because it sells, and it sells because it is simple algorithms fronted by a famous face, ie Lady Gaga, whoever is famous at that moment.

"Perhaps they like Robbie Williams because they fucking enjoy his music. Perhaps they have no reason to explore less mainstream music because they like the promoted music."

If they do it is because they are musically illiterate, and most likely fairly stupid. If they have no reason to explore music it is because they are incurious and this probably applies to all other areas of life for them as well eg politics, literature, anything you could care to mention of significance. They probably save their curiosity for programmes like 'I'm a fat celebrity fit farm get me out of the jungle with Ant and Dec'.

"You don't have a fucking superior music taste to the general public you utter cretin, it's just different."

Yes I do. I am musically literate and have significant musical talent: this puts me in a better and more qualified position to judge music than people who share your musical tastes, ie 12 year old girls.

"Perhaps the promoted music is promoted heavily because it is good"

It's heavily promoted because it sells, and it sells because it is simple algorithms fronted by a famous face, ie Lady Gaga, whoever is famous at that moment.

"Perhaps they like Robbie Williams because they fucking enjoy his music. Perhaps they have no reason to explore less mainstream music because they like the promoted music."

If they do it is because they are musically illiterate, and most likely fairly stupid. If they have no reason to explore music it is because they are incurious and this probably applies to all other areas of life for them as well eg politics, literature, anything you could care to mention of significance. They probably save their curiosity for programmes like 'I'm a fat celebrity fit farm get me out of the jungle with Ant and Dec'.

No, wankerbreath, that doesn't give you superior taste. The vast majority of musical artists want to sell as many records as they can. They do that by making music to appeal to as big of an audience as they can. That's what is good in the industry. Who wants to have the best guitar riff in the world, if the only person listening to it and enjoying it is some arrogant geek on a message board thinking he's the dogs bollocks? Answer: Nobody.

I'd get great satisfaction from punching you btw, you tedious smarmy prick.

I would love for you to try as I have a powerful physique as a result of many hours of training; I could probably kill you with my bare hands if I had the stomach to kill a weeping fat man cowering before me in the foetal position, as I've no doubt you would be after I smashed your face in.

Wow, I get the impression that was meant to have some sort of humorous undertone to it. I pity you.

I would love for you to try as I have a powerful physique as a result of many hours of training; I could probably kill you with my bare hands if I had the stomach to kill a weeping fat man cowering before me in the foetal position, as I've no doubt you would be after I smashed your face in.

Fop? :lol:

Fop? :lol:

Fop's dead CT.

The Tasers got him in the end.