Players we underestimated.

Park Life

Technique's a bit of a broad description for specific components to a player's game, which makes comparisons hard in a way, but two that spring to mind as being technically excellent (who haven't had a mention) are Woodgate and Albert.

To me, technique is someone who has total mastery of the ball. Scholes/Xavi for example. Can ping a 60 yard pass, can stop a ball on a sixpence, never misplace a pass, can place a shot in the top corner.

Dyer couldnt do any of that :lol: he could run fast and dribble. The only person who reckons that is 'technique' is stevie!

that is technique, its dribbling technique

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Technique's a bit of a broad description for specific components to a player's game, which makes comparisons hard in a way, but two that spring to mind as being technically excellent (who haven't had a mention) are Woodgate and Albert.

To me, technique is someone who has total mastery of the ball. Scholes/Xavi for example. Can ping a 60 yard pass, can stop a ball on a sixpence, never misplace a pass, can place a shot in the top corner.

Dyer couldnt do any of that :lol: he could run fast and dribble. The only person who reckons that is 'technique' is stevie!

The hardest technique in football is running with the ball at pace with maximum control. It's why Ajax have produced an unbelievable amount of top players because for years they get them at 6 year old, and for the next 6 years focus on that very thing. Dribbling and control are technique. Dyer's passing was very good, short one two's always with the ball under control, mesmerising step overs, he was a fabulous player, but a tragedy at the same time.

Getting back to your football knowledge, if there's a kid on this board with less knowledge and understanding of the game than you tell me who it is and why you total mug.

I see Gok Wan's house was broken into the other week and they raided his kitchen. Gok Wan's Wok's Gon.

Did you just make that up? :lol:

This whole thread is Parky preparing everyone just in case Ben Arfa's debut doesnt go to plan. Dont judge em too early or something like that.

The hardest technique in football is running with the ball at pace with maximum control. It's why Ajax have produced an unbelievable amount of top players because for years they get them at 6 year old, and for the next 6 years focus on that very thing. Dribbling and control are technique. Dyer's passing was very good, short one two's always with the ball under control, mesmerising step overs, he was a fabulous player, but a tragedy at the same time.

Getting back to your football knowledge, if there's a kid on this board with less knowledge and understanding of the game than you tell me who it is and why you total mug.

He was very clever re: the one-twos, with Solano in particular. They missed each other when one didn't play.

Aye, top 10 in the last 30 years might be pushing a bit like. :lol:

In terms of raw ability without a doubt.

Think in part I always struggle to accept blistering pace as being the same thing as footballing ability. Although it's obviously as important as anything else (if not more so) in the modern game.

Do you think that was him? Blistering pace and that's it?

Not at all mate. It was still in reference to your initial point about top 10 abilitywise over the last 30 years.

I think there were more gifted players during that period but that's not to say I didnt think Dyer was technically very skilfull. Fwiw I also take your point about him operating at pace too, which ups the skill levels required. As has been said, he was also ideal in that particular Robson team, which makes a huge difference (in terms of matching players to systems).

I don't honestly class him as underrated though (your defence being proof of that), more a case of highly disliked for other transgressions.

I'll name who I think who had more technique than Dyer:

Keegan

Beardsley

Waddle

Gascoigne

Ginola

Robert

Shearer - his technique in striking a ball was arguably the best in the world

Solano

...and in terms of pure technique you really are struggling to name anyone with more technique than Dyer.

You make a good point :lol: (I actually even wondered if you'd put Keegan in the list btw). But if we're talking about players that have played for the toon during the period (as opposed to necessarily being mint for us) you've also got the likes of Owen and Kluivert and a couple more flops. I'd also look at the other end of the pitch too with Woodgate and Albert. Not that you can really start to get into comparisons of that type but thats what technically gifted means to me.

Fuck off with that shit I may as well not bother posting. :lol:

Fuck off with that shit I may as well not bother posting. :lol:

Its cos you type like a 3 year old playing hungry hippo.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

He was very clever re: the one-twos, with Solano in particular. They missed each other when one didn't play.

Aye on full snog they could rip anyone to pieces, like Leeds for the 3-4 goal.

Freudian.

:lol:

The imagery.

Hew man, ye divvent get to these lofty heights without knowing a thing or two about how to play the game :lol:

3-1.jpg

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Hew man, ye divvent get to these lofty heights without knowing a thing or two about how to play the game :icon_lol:

3-1.jpg

Division fuckin Four :lol: I scored 30 plus in the Premier Division of the alphabet league 4 fuckin seasons running when I was younger. For someone like me or Mancmag playing in that division would be like Beardsley playing in the DR Martens reserve league. I wouldn't disgrace meself :( Division Four of a mackem sunday league :(

Hew man, ye divvent get to these lofty heights without knowing a thing or two about how to play the game :icon_lol:

3-1.jpg

Division fuckin Four :lol: I scored 30 plus in the Premier Division of the alphabet league 4 fuckin seasons running when I was younger. For someone like me or Mancmag playing in that division would be like Beardsley playing in the DR Martens reserve league. I wouldn't disgrace meself :( Division Four of a mackem sunday league :icon_lol:

Its only 6 games into the season man :(

I would walk into the Lyons first team as long as there was a Hetton-le-Hole in my arse.

What level did you play at? I've heard you were (are) a canny player. I played for North Tyneside and the Liverpool scout for the north east used to watch me play (who was a customer in my dads paper shop). I played against Alan Thompson when he was at Marden Bridge and me and him were on a par back then (although i scored more).

I'm on the wind up if you couldn't tell.

I know, it's been quiet on here lately though. Been a long time since we've seen Stevie trying to make KD cry and call him a mug every second post.