Players we underestimated.

Park Life

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Le Sib!

On a pedantic note, I'm not sure we underestimated them, it was more a sign of the terrible culture that was going on at the club for so long and the managements ability to destroy a young player. If it wasn't for Hughton you could add Enrique and Carroll to that list.

Of course Milner is the current one. But I'm also thinking Dabizas, Lee Clark and that full back who could play both sides and is still playing in the PL.

Thoughts.

Hughes I assume? He was massively underestimated alright, often plays centre back as well as full back too.

Suppose you could throw in Distin and Saha who I never remembering impressing too much while on loan but obviously went on to be good players.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Of course Milner is the current one. But I'm also thinking Dabizas, Lee Clark and that full back who could play both sides and is still playing in the PL.

Thoughts.

Hughes I assume? He was massively underestimated alright, often plays centre back as well as full back too.

Suppose you could throw in Distin and Saha who I never remembering impressing too much while on loan but obviously went on to be good players.

Aye. Just seen him getting messed up by Drogba in the clip in the other thread. :lol: :lol:

Thoughts.

Do you mean Aaron Hughes, if not, add him to your list.

I'd add Acuna and Saha (although at the time he was still had a long way to go).

the thing about milner is I dont think hes a much better player than he was here, he was always played as a winger here and it was always said about him that he wasnt great because, while he could beat someone he never had the pace to get away from his man and his crossing was hit and miss, those things are both still true

he has flourished in a more central role though which he probably would have done if hed been played there with us

still most were delighted with 12mil for him, I think what City have paid is insane for him and I also think if that 12mil had been immediately reinvested in the team we would have missed him less

Thoughts.

First choice CB at Fulham for the last few seasons.

I know hes not popular because of the way he left but Nzogbia for me too, was good for wigan last season and I think him on our left wing would have been worth a point since he could occasionally pull a really good performance out of his arse

the thing about milner is I dont think hes a much better player than he was here, he was always played as a winger here and it was always said about him that he wasnt great because, while he could beat someone he never had the pace to get away from his man and his crossing was hit and miss, those things are both still true

he has flourished in a more central role though which he probably would have done if hed been played there with us

still most were delighted with 12mil for him, I think what City have paid is insane for him and I also think if that 12mil had been immediately reinvested in the team we would have missed him less

correct - I think we all thought he had talent but we could never get the best out of him

MoN was able to improve him but he's still a bit hit or miss

Thoughts.

that doesn't make him good I'm afraid............

Brad Friedel

We couldn't get a work permit for him. He travelled with the side to away games, trained with the 1st team etc. for about 6 months. You have to wonder if we might have won something had KK been able to buy him. Funnily enough I was just talking about this recently.

Hughes is a very good reader of the game but struggles against big, strong cfs. Very decent all-round defender though. Wasted a bit at full-back. Would've been a sweeper in days gone by.

Thoughts.

that doesn't make him good I'm afraid............

it makes him better than we have IMO

50 games for fulham last season, 34 PL games and 7 in the europa league in the team that got to the final

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I know some will say "I didn't underrate him", but I certainly did. I thought he was average, and his poor passing used to drive me up the wall. However, he was an absolutely massive presence in our midfield, winning tackles, keeping play ticking over, winning headers, scoring headers, sitting in, I had no idea how valuable he was till that gaping hole in our midfield appeared in midfield when he was gone. Without a doubt the player I underrated the most, and many others too, was Gary Speed.

I know some will say "I didn't underrate him", but I certainly did. I thought he was average, and his poor passing used to drive me up the wall. However, he was an absolutely massive presence in our midfield, winning tackles, keeping play ticking over, winning headers, scoring headers, sitting in, I had no idea how valuable he was till that gaping hole in our midfield appeared in midfield when he was gone. Without a doubt the player I underrated the most, and many others too, was Gary Speed.

Wildly underrated by us.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Wildly underrated by us.

Exactly.

youre kidding

Massively underrated by match going toon fans.

youre kidding

I remember there was a reasonable amount of animosity towards him after he signed. He was meant to be Ginola's "replacement" and wasn't any great shakes when he was played out wide, especially for the £5.5 or 6 million he was signed for. It wasn't until he played centrally that people started to warm to him. He got some of shit in his final 12-18 months too. Wasn't until after he went that people realised he wasn't able to play his own game because he was doing the job of two players as Jenas had the heart of a pea and went missing. Maybe I'm looking back through rose tinted specs but he didn't get an easy ride of it.

was speed that under-rated though? most thought we'd dropped a bollock by signing him when he first joined as a winger but after he moved inside he was one of the first names on our team sheet for years. we shouldn't have let him go when we did either. he gave bolton a few decent seasons after he left. quality player. we've never really had the same threat in the air from corners since he left and shearer retired either.

i thought jenas was under-rated by most at the time butlooks liek i was wrong. the doubters got that one right i think when you look at how crap he's been at spurs.

a contoversial shout because of his injury and attitude but i think dyer was under rated though can understand why so many disliked him. if only the little shit could have kept himself fit and out of trouble, he could have been a quality player for us. he had so much ability, should have done so much more with his career. when you look at he's done at west ham mind, we did well to get rid.