Scotland are better than Ireland

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Was having a look at the Scottish and Irish line ups tonight for their respective games, and I have to say for the first time in years, Scotland definitely have a better side than Ireland. I think Scotland will win tonight, great price at 6/4 their midfield is very good, and Ireland have players I've never even heard of playing.

Compare the two:

McGregor, Hutton, Weir, McManus, Whittaker, Brown, D Fletcher, McCulloch, Robson, Naismith, Miller.

Given,O'Shea, Saint Ledger, Dunne, Kilbane, Lawrence, Whelan, Green, McGeady, Keane, Doyle

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Where are scotland getting their goals from again? ireland will snuff out their midfield and rely on keane and doyle upfront. They have much the better forward line.

They're not playing each other tonight, but Kenny Miller is in to double figures at international level, more than can be said for Doyle who's ridiculously overrated, add to that James McFadden and Boyd aren't even starting they have far more depth too. Looking at the midfield, Scotland piss all over them, maybe some would have McGeady over Robson, not me, at least Robson has an end product. Only place Ireland are head and shoulders better is in nets.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Irelands better Stevie catch a grip(although i'm not saying we're any use these days...sniff I miss McGrath and Quinn)

Kenny millers double figure tally includes 6 goals against the Faroe islands/Lithuania from what i remember and a quick stats check gives us...

Miller 11 in 47

Doyle 9 in 34.

i'm not saying doyle is a goal machine, but he has a reasonable return considering the job he gets asked to do, chasing things down and holding up the ball, and to be fair to him for not exactly being big he does it quite well.

Scotland have a better player in 8 positions so I don't know how you reach that conclusion to be honest. Doyle is 8 in 35 not 9 in 34, and Scotland have more depth I mean Boyd is nearly on 20 and can't even get a game.

I'd fancy Scotland over two legs any day.

Irelands better Stevie catch a grip(although i'm not saying we're any use these days...sniff I miss McGrath and Quinn)

Kenny millers double figure tally includes 6 goals against the Faroe islands/Lithuania from what i remember and a quick stats check gives us...

Miller 11 in 47

Doyle 9 in 34.

i'm not saying doyle is a goal machine, but he has a reasonable return considering the job he gets asked to do, chasing things down and holding up the ball, and to be fair to him for not exactly being big he does it quite well.

Scotland have a better player in 8 positions so I don't know how you reach that conclusion to be honest. Doyle is 8 in 35 not 9 in 34, and Scotland have more depth I mean Boyd is nearly on 20 and can't even get a game.

ya i reckon Scotland might take them over 2 legs. You can't beat a good centre midfield and backline...

Ireland have no midfield. They're bypassed every time.. So shit to watch..

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Miller 11 in 47

Doyle 9 in 34.

ya i reckon Scotland might take them over 2 legs. You can't beat a good centre midfield and backline...

Ireland have no midfield. They're bypassed every time.. So shit to watch..

Exactly the backbone is shit. The midfield is largely Championship standard plodders. On paper the results against France and Italy were very good, but seeing how abject both of them were in the WC has to put it in to perspective. The three good players they have are Given, Dunne and Keane, and it could be argued all of them are on the decline, poss with the exception of Shay. I'm not anti Irish so none of you start that shite, me granny was born in Tipperary, and I have a small jock side to me of people who came to Glasgow during the tatty famine, so I'm not anti-Irish, I just think Ireland are shite. I can't even fancy them to beat Armenia today, if this was over the last 20 years, ROI would win hands down, present side though Scotland easily better.

Guest Tuco Ramirez
We'll see in February :D

@the midfield being filled with midfield plodders, i don't disagree but Scotland (bar fletcher) is filled with spl shitters and championship/westbrom players and all.

It's a battle of the oh so average unfortunately :D

It's like WBA v Doncaster imo. To be fair I think Scott Brown could be a decent prem player.

The irony for Wales is they have two players far better than anything Scotland or Eire have but they're worse.

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

Some of the Irish youngsters starting to break through for their clubs should be playing for us by now, the likes of Seamus Coleman (who really does look class for Everton so far) and James McCarthy (now a regular for Wigan) should be starting for us, like Stevie says, too many plodders in our team these days, needs freshening up. There's also a very promising looking lad from Chelsea (not that he'll make it there) called Conor Clifford who is one of only players from the British Isles who can get into their youth team regularly.

At the end of the day I still reckon our starting line up is better and more dangerous than Scotland at present especially if we were to pick what I see as the best team we could put out.

All in all there isn't much between Scotland Wales and ourselves at the moment and I think people from all 3 countries are far too harsh on the national teams considering the relatively tiny populations.

Some of the Irish youngsters starting to break through for their clubs should be playing for us by now, the likes of Seamus Coleman (who really does look class for Everton so far) and James McCarthy (now a regular for Wigan) should be starting for us, like Stevie says, too many plodders in our team these days, needs freshening up. There's also a very promising looking lad from Chelsea (not that he'll make it there) called Conor Clifford who is one of only players from the British Isles who can get into their youth team regularly.

At the end of the day I still reckon our starting line up is better and more dangerous than Scotland at present especially if we were to pick what I see as the best team we could put out.

All in all there isn't much between Scotland Wales and ourselves at the moment and I think people from all 3 countries are far too harsh on the national teams considering the relatively tiny populations.

wellllll - there are countries with similar populations who do better TBF

Im sure there are, but many more who do worse, I lived in Finland in the past and their country who has a greater population than Ireland have never qualified for a single major tournament in football (and despite Hockeys popularity football still brings in more tv revenue) whereas Ireland have been to 3 world cups (getting to the knockout stages each time) and one euros.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Rob when I was a youngun, there was a cartoon called Henry's Cat, and the song went "he knows everything about nothing, and not too much about that." When I think of that now I think of you. Other than Uruguay, with a similar population to them, who have done better than Scotland and Ireland (and don't say Denmark).

Edited by Tuco Ramirez

Guest Tuco Ramirez
That Ireland team is better like:

Given > McGregor

O'Shea > Hutton

Dunne > Weir

Keane > Naismith

Doyle > Miller

McGeady > Robson

Given, Dunne and O'Shea are the only three in the whole team that would make it imo. Hutton is a better attacking right back than O'Shea and Miller has improved twn fold in the last 18 months. I think Doyle is shit and McGeady can't cross.

That Ireland team is better like:

Given > McGregor

O'Shea > Hutton

Dunne > Weir

Keane > Naismith

Doyle > Miller

McGeady > Robson

Given, Dunne and O'Shea are the only three in the whole team that would make it imo. Hutton is a better attacking right back than O'Shea and Miller has improved twn fold in the last 18 months. I think Doyle is shit and McGeady can't cross.

Although I think Doyle and particularly McGeady are overrated its worth pointing out that we're missing Duff whos still decent as well as several others not to mention the whole Steven Ireland thing. There's also the likes of Andy Reid and Delap as well as the youngsters I mentioned earlier who are simply never picked by Trap rightly or wrongly.

Doyles goalscoring record in the UK is 134 goals in 188 appearances which is pretty damn good and better than Kenny Miller's by all accounts

I'd fancy Ireland to beat Scotland.

They have a unity that only England could dream about tbh.

That England could only dream about?

Yeah.

For a team of average players they do extremely well.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Putting individuals aside, the Ireland team is far superior to the Scotland team. Trapattoni has made us very difficult to beat and I´m very hopeful of us making the Euros this time round.

And we hammered Algeria, something England couldn´t manage. :D

Edited by ewerk

Guest Tuco Ramirez
Putting individuals aside, the Ireland team is far superior to the Scotland team. Trappatoni has made us very difficult to beat and I´m very hopeful of us making the Euros this time round.

It's not so long ago you lost 5-1 to erm....Cyprus.

Putting individuals aside, the Ireland team is far superior to the Scotland team. Trappatoni has made us very difficult to beat and I´m very hopeful of us making the Euros this time round.

5-2 actually, that was during a particularly low ebb in the dreadful Staunton era, which also featured a delightful 2-1 win over San Marino that required a last minute Steven Ireland goal to spare the humiliation. I actually felt terrible for San Marino that day, they deserved to win...

Edited by TicTacWoe

Steve Staunton.