How do you rate this transfer window?

Dr Gloom

This is when CH is going to be judged. Because he has a alot of hard decisions to make over the next few months. Who does he play, who does he drop etc

I would like to see a starting XI against Blackpool of:

Harper

Perch Colo Williamson Enrique

Tiote

Routledge Barton Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Then would like to see Gosling when fit, and Simpson back in the side.

Smith/Nolan are ok squad players, but Tiote and Ben Arfa can offer so much more to us. Ben Arfa certainly needs to start behind Carroll if he plays Jonas and Routledge out wide. I'd hate to see him leave one of them out for Ben Arfa to squeeze in Nolan.

Nolan is going to play, because he is the captain. Nobody leaves their captain on the bench. If he does this, he will have to make someone else captain.

Look at last season though, Smith was captain but didnt play all the time, especiailly when the Midfield was performing. He NEEDS to leave him out to leave more room for creativity.

I agree with you, in a way. If he doesn't intend to play Nolan, why make him captain ?

If someone takes up Nolans advanced position, will Nolan play the deeper role ?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, the role he's playing is basically the only role Nolan can play effectively imo (especially at this level), i.e. furthest forward in a midfield 3 / playing off the striker(s).

He dropped Butt who was captain last season.

Anyway, not thrilled with the transfer window, we're defo weak in depth, especially upfront.

Hughton spoke about how difficult it was to do business, Stoke seemed to do alright though.

Btw, the role he's playing is basically the only role Nolan can play effectively imo (especially at this level), i.e. furthest forward in a midfield 3 / playing off the striker(s).

he will argue that he has more choices, which is true, but how good will it be.

Nolan is a good leader on the pitch mind.

This is when CH is going to be judged. Because he has a alot of hard decisions to make over the next few months. Who does he play, who does he drop etc

Harper

Tiote

Routledge Barton Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Smith/Nolan are ok squad players, but Tiote and Ben Arfa can offer so much more to us. Ben Arfa certainly needs to start behind Carroll if he plays Jonas and Routledge out wide. I'd hate to see him leave one of them out for Ben Arfa to squeeze in Nolan.

Nolan is going to play, because he is the captain. Nobody leaves their captain on the bench. If he does this, he will have to make someone else captain.

Look at last season though, Smith was captain but didnt play all the time, especiailly when the Midfield was performing. He NEEDS to leave him out to leave more room for creativity.

I doubt he's going to drop Smith away from home....surely he'll ease the new players in. Possibly with the exception of Campbell. Ben Arfa on the bench at least.

Anyway, not thrilled with the transfer window, we're defo weak in depth, especially upfront.

Hughton spoke about how difficult it was to do business, Stoke seemed to do alright though.

Do Stoke have debts? Genuine question.

Do you reckon Ben Arfa will get that role though, Parky? Just it seems like that's Nolan's role (more or less) and I can't see him being dropped at the minute. I suppose Hughton will 'slowly bed him in' as they say, i.e. hope Nolan gets injured so he can play him there without rocking the boat.

I don't know.

But that's where he should play, he's not as effective deeper ie in midfield proper, he needs to do his damage in dangerous areas where he can thread final passes, take potshots and make hijinx in and around the box or being able to strike for the box early in the run (beating one or two).

His second most dangerous postion is attacking from the left of midfield (whrere Jonas is now) and he can also play right attacking midfield etc..But he is the kind of player that will thrive on confidence, where a Keegan can just take him aside and say, "Go out and play". Part of Benzema's rise at OM was the feeding and creative play of Bafra and the sheer panic and distractions he can cause while other benefit.

Anyway it is a good problem to have ie selection, it has been awhile where the manager had the oppurtunity to lay his signature on a side. I hope that especially at home CH will relax some of his safety first mentality.

-----------------Tiote-------------

Routledge-----Barton-------Jonas--

-------------------Bafra

-------------Carroll.

Is the ideal.

Against Blackpool at home that could be tried.

*Wenger plays Nasri too deep, he has become part of the passing schemes instead of being the final attacking phase. With all the big hungry black fellas Arsenal have, Nasri should be doing his damage 10/15 yards further forward.

Edited by Park Life

Do you reckon Ben Arfa will get that role though, Parky? Just it seems like that's Nolan's role (more or less) and I can't see him being dropped at the minute. I suppose Hughton will 'slowly bed him in' as they say, i.e. hope Nolan gets injured so he can play him there without rocking the boat.

I don't know.

But that's where he should play, he's not as effective deeper ie in midfield proper, he needs to do his damage in dangerous areas where he can thread final passes, take potshots and make hijinx in and around the box or being able to strike for the box early in the run (beating one or two).

His second most dangerous postion is attacking from the left of midfield (whrere Jonas is now) and he can also play right attacking midfield etc..But he is the kind of player that will thrive on confidence, where a Keegan can just take him aside and say, "Go out and play". Part of Benzema's rise at OM was the feeding and creative play of Bafra and the sheer panic and distractions he can cause while other benefit.

Anyway it is a good problem to have ie selection, it has been awhile where the manager had the oppurtunity to lay his signature on a side. I hope that especially at home CH will relax some of his safety first mentality.

-----------------Tiote-------------

Routledge-----Barton-------Jonas--

-------------------Bafra

-------------Carroll.

Is the ideal.

Against Blackpool at home that could be tried.

Agreed but I don't think that will be the side. I think HM is probably spot on.

Routledge is a decent option but a limited player. People go on about Walcott lacking a football brain, well that's Routledge in a nutshell. The lad can't shoot for shit, never could since his Spurs days and before, but he runs well with the ball and we need players like that when the rest of the team are mostly cloggers like Smith and Nolan.

i was impressed with stoke's signings like. i would have been happy with those three at the last minute.

sad like that gudjohnsen goes to club like stoke instead of us when we're crying out for a quality striker like him

i was impressed with stoke's signings like. i would have been happy with those three at the last minute.

sad like that gudjohnsen goes to club like stoke instead of us when we're crying out for a quality striker like him

Shows their ambition really as they've had a bad start and recognise they need something a bit different.

I'm not sure. I think they have a fairly strict wage structure with Jones having part of his wages paid by the mackems.

However, I'm sure Gudjonnson and Pennant earn a few quid.

Harper

Tiote

Routledge Barton Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

I agree with you, in a way. If he doesn't intend to play Nolan, why make him captain ?

If someone takes up Nolans advanced position, will Nolan play the deeper role ?

Don't think Bafra was on the radar when Nolan was made captain.

There is also the rumour that CH has promised Bafra to build the side around hin (I would), so we'll see.

What I don't want to see is Bafra on the bench against Blackpool and coming on for 15 min cause that would be cowardly.

I don't know if he's banking on Perch to fill in if Enrique gets injured but I'd have liked to see a natural LB brought in as cover. The lack of a decent striker is worrying; while he seemed to try with Keane, I imagine Ashley wouldn't pay the cash for the quality that we needed. If Carroll gets injured or suspended, you're looking at Shola as replacement and he's proven that he's never a PL striker. With doubts over Shola's fitness too, you're down to the bones of your arse.

There's definitely some depth issues that should have been addressed (Ryan Taylor as cover for ANYONE, wingers so we're not playing Guthrie or Barton out there and limiting their effectiveness) and I don't think it's a case of Hughton wanting to buy the right man since he went out and got Leon Best for reasons I still can't fathom. He's had to deal with Ashley being prepared to stump up fuck all and he's done alright with those confinements. Hughton has done well, Ashley has had his usual tight-arse parade.

I'm not sure. I think they have a fairly strict wage structure with Jones having part of his wages paid by the mackems.

However, I'm sure Gudjonnson and Pennant earn a few quid.

Stoke had minute debts last year due to an ultra low wage bill, not sure about now.